Guidelines for postings on the MathJax User Group

Peter Krautzberger

Jun 18, 2013, 10:30:33 AM6/18/13
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

This sticky post contains guidelines for postings on the MathJax User Group.

Please help us improve it by leaving a response with corrections, comments, and suggestions.
The MathJax Team.

If you're considering to post on the MathJax User Group, please read the following guidelines carefully. These guidelines are not meant to be absolute, but please try follow them as much as you can -- they are here to help you get a faster and better response from the MathJax community.

A lot of questions on the MathJax User Group fall into two categories

a) "Something went wrong"-questions
b) "how do I do [fancy cool thing]"-questions

For both of these, there are a couple of things that we usually need to know to give you a helpful response. To start off, a few questions to consider before posting.

* Have you studied the Mathjax documentation?
* Have you looked through the community wiki?
* Have you searched the MathJax User Group?
* Have you searched on google, stackoverflow or any other site?

You've done all that? Great! Sorry to hear you haven't found a solution yet. Here are some guidelines for your posting on the MathJax User Group:

0) Talk to us!
    i) English is the official language of the MathJax User Group. If your English isn't very good, that's perfectly ok -- just let us know to avoid confusion.
    ii) if you have trouble describing the problem, then tell us and we'll take it from there. But try to avoid something like "hey, MathJax something just totally broke down for me -- what's up with that?".

1) Show us!
    Please provide
    i) a link to a live page (a) exhibiting the problem // (b) attempting to do "that fancy thing".
    ii) a code example can be ok -- but please double check wether you can use jsfiddle, jsbin etc to give us a live page to look at.
    iii) all background information if you're using MathJax in a more complex setting (e.g. CMSs, javascript-frameworks, app frameworks).

2) Give us details!
    Please provide
    i) the relevant browser name and version
    i) the relevant OS and its version
    iii) the "network situation": are you using a web server (local or remote)? did you just open a local file? are you working in a mobile app?

3) Describe carefully and as completely as possible
    i) what you expect to see // want to achieve
    ii) what you tried to fix it // to achieve it
    iii) what failed.

4) Be patient.
    i) this is a User Group, not paid tech support.
    ii) Don't bump questions.

5) Be a good community member
    i) if you get an answer (on the MathJax User Group or elsewhere) or figure it out on your own, please share it!
    ii) maybe take the time to turn the solution into an entry on the community wiki.
    iii) Try to answer questions as well -- a community can only thrive if you give back.
    iv) Avoid double postings on other forums. But if it happens please cross post answers as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read through these guidelines. We look forward to your posting!
The MathJax Team.

Dayal Purohit

Jun 18, 2013, 12:17:02 PM6/18/13
to mathja...@googlegroups.com
I think most important thing is to provide a link so that someone can check it out.

d^3p

Peter Krautzberger

Apr 27, 2016, 7:21:53 AM4/27/16
to MathJax Users
In addition to the OP, here is a copy of the Code of Conduct from the MathJax contributing guidelines on GitHub:

"We are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, religion, or similar personal characteristic.

Please be kind and courteous. There's no need to be mean or rude. Respect that people have differences of opinion and that every design or implementation choice carries a trade-off and numerous costs. There is seldom a right answer, merely an optimal answer given a set of values and circumstances.

Please keep unstructured critique to a minimum. If you have solid ideas you want to experiment with, make a fork and see how it works.

We will exclude you from interaction if you insult, demean or harass anyone. That is not welcome behavior. We interpret the term "harassment" as including the definition in the Citizen Code of Conduct; if you have any lack of clarity about what might be included in that concept, please read their definition. In particular, we don't tolerate behavior that excludes people in socially marginalized groups.

Private harassment is also unacceptable. No matter who you are, if you feel you have been or are being harassed or made uncomfortable by a community member, please contact one of the channel ops or any of the MathJax core team immediately. Whether you're a regular contributor or a newcomer, we care about making this community a safe place for you and we've got your back.

Likewise any spamming, trolling, flaming, baiting or other attention-stealing behavior is not welcome.

We also suggest to read discourse's rules."

Julian S

Dec 17, 2017, 2:32:09 AM12/17/17
to MathJax Users
Hi All,
I'm new to MathJax and I am working on a document that includes equations, images etc. I want to use MathJax to develop my equations for a kindle based e-reader, however i find the equations don't have or maintain the text style or the equation numbering system I would like to have. How can this be correct when I am editing my document using calibre i.e. how do i configure the script that goes into the html header file?

julian

Peter Krautzberger

Dec 18, 2017, 4:50:27 AM12/18/17
to mathja...@googlegroups.com