Kinect won't respond w/ 3Dify

Bryan Vaccaro

Mar 1, 2012, 8:39:03 PM3/1/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I installed 3Dify and get this error message upon starting a new video project: "Please connect/re-connect Kinect to a working USB port and try again. Please remember to start the program as Administrator."

My Kinect is attached and functioning, and works fine with other tools. And I ran the software as Admin.

The drivers and software I have installed are:

Windows 7

MSVC++ 2008 redistributable
OpenNI 1.5.2.23 for Windows
PrimeSense Sensor KinectMod 5.1.0.25 for Windows
Windows Driver Package - PrimeSense (psdrv3) PrimeSense (11/21/2011 3.1.3.1)
Windows Driver Package - PrimeSense (psdrv3) PrimeSense (02/16/2011 3.1.2.0)

NVIDIA Graphics Driver 285.62

Hardware specs: Macbook Pro w/ Core i7 @ 2.67GHz, 8 GB RAM

Chytu

Mar 1, 2012, 10:41:41 PM3/1/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
Bryan,

Can you run the setup again and install the OpenNI and PrimeSense drivers in the installer? Also, can you send the "logFile.txt" present in the folder you selected in the "Video Project" session?

Thanks,
Chytu.

Bryan Vaccaro

Mar 1, 2012, 11:08:34 PM3/1/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
I'll try reinstalling the drivers. Here's the contents of the log file:

0, DEBUG, Thu Mar 1 20:18:36 2012, Kinect opening ...
1, DEBUG, Thu Mar 1 20:18:36 2012, done.
2, ERROR, Thu Mar 1 20:18:36 2012, Can not open a capture object.
3, DEBUG, Thu Mar 1 20:18:36 2012, MainWindow::updateUIFromGrabber()

Chytu

Mar 1, 2012, 11:57:16 PM3/1/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
That should help. Remove the OpenNI and Primesense drivers installed and run the 3Dify installer (which asks you to install OpenNI and PrimeSense drivers in the end). Installing them should solve the problem.

Chekuri Srikanth Varma

Mar 2, 2012, 1:21:16 AM3/2/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bryan,

We tested 3Dify with the drivers you mentioned to be present in your current configuration. They do not seem to work with 3Dify. We suggest you uninstall them and install the drivers that come bundled with 3Dify setup file. If the problem persists, please let us know.

~Varma.

Gil

Mar 2, 2012, 6:55:04 AM3/2/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
I also have a similar issue. The problem is the drivers that come with the 3DIfy are apparently older so they will not install correctly even if I uninstall the old ones.

Chytu

Mar 2, 2012, 7:03:07 AM3/2/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
 will not install correctly
Do you mean that they give errors during installation? Or the installation was successful but you are still not able to capture from Kinect using 3Dify?

Also, if you specify the exact error during installation of older drivers, that'll help in rectifying the problem.

Thanks,
Chytu.

Gil

Mar 2, 2012, 7:06:17 AM3/2/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
Even with the new ones unistalled the ones that come with the Matherix installation will not install saying I have a newer version.

Gil

Mar 2, 2012, 7:16:32 AM3/2/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
My guess is that they drivers leave some sort of registry signature behind.

Chekuri Srikanth Varma

Mar 2, 2012, 7:23:23 AM3/2/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gil,
To  replicate your situation on our system, we first installed newer versions of OpenNI and Primesense. Then, we followed the below two steps and 3Dify seems to function well.

1> Uninstall the OpenNI and Primesense drivers currently installed on your system.
2> Use the setup of Matherix 3Dify and install the OpenNI and Primesense which are bundled along.

Please try them and let us know if the issue persists.

Thank you.
~Varma.

Chytu

Mar 2, 2012, 8:05:28 AM3/2/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
Gil,

The registry entries for OpenNI and PrimeSense were in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>OpenNI and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>PrimeSense>EE sections of the registry on my Windows 7 machine. They were removed automatically when I uninstalled the newer version of drivers for me. If the problem persists, will you try manually deleting them and installing the drivers which came with 3Dify after that?
  • Type regedit on a command window to open registry (FYI)
  • Go to OpenNI section by clicking on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>OpenNI
  • Right click on OpenNI section on left side -> Delete.
  • Do the same for primesense (delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>PrimeSense section this time)
  • Install Matherix setup again.

That must take care of the registry problems, if any...

--Chytu

Chelfyn

Mar 2, 2012, 12:19:42 PM3/2/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
I have had the same problem with very similar driver specs to the OP and it was fixed with a simple uninstallation of the most recent drivers and a clean install of 3Dify.

Phil Nolan

Mar 13, 2012, 1:19:39 PM3/13/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
I had the same problem. After reading this thread I uninstalled my Primesense and OpenNI drivers. I couldn't find a way touninstall 3Dify so I just left it, then I ran the 3Dify installer and allowed it to install everything including C++ which was already installed so I picked the "repair" option. After all this I tried again and still have the same error message.

Chytu

Mar 13, 2012, 1:44:12 PM3/13/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
Can you post the contents of the logFile.txt present in the folder you chose for 3Dify project?

Are you running 3Dify as Administrator?

Phil Nolan

Mar 13, 2012, 5:53:11 PM3/13/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
Log file:
0,    DEBUG,    Tue Mar 13 13:19:16 2012,    Kinect opening ...
1,    DEBUG,    Tue Mar 13 13:19:16 2012,    MainWindow::updateUIFromGrabber()
2,    DEBUG,    Tue Mar 13 13:19:16 2012,    done.
3,    ERROR,    Tue Mar 13 13:19:16 2012,    Can not open a capture object

I don't use User Account Control so I shouldn't need to run as Admin but I tried it anyway and still got the error.

Chytu

Mar 14, 2012, 4:19:48 AM3/14/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
Phil,

We are working on a fix. Can you tell us the configuration of the computer on which you are running 3Dify?

Details like Operating system, processor, RAM specs will help us identify what the problem is...

Thanks,
Chytu.

Chytu

Mar 14, 2012, 4:53:49 PM3/14/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
Phil,

There is an update which might fix the problem you have. Can you please download it from our downloads page and see if this version works?

Please follow the steps below;
  • Uninstall all versions of OpenNI, PrimeSense, Kinect SDK drivers from your computer.
  • Download and Install the new version from the downloads page (this will install the newest OpenNI and PrimeSense drivers also - please install them too)
  • Run 3Dify as Administrator and see if this works...

Thanks,
Chytu.

Phil Nolan

Mar 15, 2012, 1:30:32 AM3/15/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
I downloaded the new one and it looks like it's working great on my laptop. One thing I noticed is that when I got the the "Intervals" question after picking thumbnails. I pushed Cancel to change my thumbnail selection but it went ahead as if I pushed OK.

Chytu

Mar 15, 2012, 2:11:24 AM3/15/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
Great that it's working. We'll fix the interval dialog bug in the next version...

Thanks for your patience...

Phil Nolan

Mar 21, 2012, 8:58:34 PM3/21/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
Aw, 3Dify stopped working again after I rebooted.  Same problem. It asks me to plug the Kinect into a working USB port.  I repeated the process from before, completely uninstalling all Kinect drivers, then installed the latest 3Dify and let it install the Kinect drivers, then I made sure to run 3Dify as administrator.  No luck.

Chytu

Mar 22, 2012, 3:25:11 AM3/22/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
Can you post more details please?
  • Was that the first reboot after installing 3Dify?
  • Did you change/install anything (drivers/software) related to graphics/kinect before the reboot? (Like Kinect SDK, other versions of OpenNI drivers or nVidia graphics drivers)?
Thanks,
Chytu.

Phil Nolan

Mar 23, 2012, 3:46:27 PM3/23/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know, all I did was reboot, yes that was the first time rebooting after install..  That was in Vista so I tried again using WIndows 8. This time it worked but it was occasionally freazing during the initial video capture, so I had to try it a few times. A couple of those times I still got the  "reconnect Kinect to USB" error.

eleazar carmeli

May 29, 2012, 10:08:07 PM5/29/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
got the same problem tried all suggestions done know what to do

log file :
0, DEBUG, Tue May 29 18:50:21 2012, Kinect opening ...
1, DEBUG, Tue May 29 18:50:21 2012, done.
2, ERROR, Tue May 29 18:50:21 2012, Can not open a capture object.
3, DEBUG, Tue May 29 18:50:21 2012, MainWindow::updateUIFromGrabber()

hardware specs
amd phenom II x6 1035t, 16gb ram amd radeon hd 6700
windows 7 64 ent. ed

Chytu

May 30, 2012, 1:36:50 AM5/30/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
Please give the details of the OpenNI and Primesense driver versions and sensor you are using please...

eleazar carmeli

Jun 1, 2012, 10:48:11 AM6/1/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
im using the drivers bundled with the 3dify installer , i did previously install different drivers for a different program but uninstalled and rebooted before installing 3dify , i did reveiw my registry and found some legacy stuff from the previous driver and have deleted it but have not yet had a chance to reinstall, could it be a problem with using 32bit drivers on a 64bit system ?

Chytu

Jun 1, 2012, 11:04:51 AM6/1/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
I don't think there would be a problem with 32-bit drivers on 64-bit computer. What sensor are you using? Is it Kinect for xbox?

eleazar carmeli

Jun 1, 2012, 5:43:48 PM6/1/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
i have the kinect for xbox

eleazar carmeli

Jun 3, 2012, 3:47:05 AM6/3/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
SOLUTION FOUND !!!

ok from what i can tell is that microsoft at some point has added their own driver and my system was actually grabbing an online ms driver for the kinnect sensor

so i went through the device manager and told it to specifically select the prime sense driver and now it works

working on my first scans thank you soo much for the responses hope this helps anyone else with the same problem

Bryan G

Jun 12, 2012, 2:36:49 PM6/12/12
to matheri...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this fix, Eleazar.  I also changed my drivers in device manager by choosing the "update driver" option.  It was set to use a driver that Windows insisted was
the best one, but I chose the PrimeSense driver from its folder and it worked!