[Bounty] (6 BTC) Unworkable last milestone

Ron Gross

Aug 7, 2013, 6:30:05 PM8/7/13
to mastercoin
Willet, can you try and explain here why this bounty should be awarded, and for what exactly?

jr.wi...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2013, 7:59:46 PM8/7/13
to maste...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 3:30:05 PM UTC-7, ripper234 wrote:
> Willet, can you try and explain here why this bounty should be awarded, and for what exactly?

bytemaster posted for pages and pages trying to convince me that the escrow fund model wouldn't work. I convinced him that it would work when it was over-funded. d'aniel described an attack vector which would cause it to collapse when under-funded.

Due to this attack, if the escrow fund ever falls to 100%, the stabilized currency will need to be dissolved. There were several strategies discussed to make sure that the escrow fund starts out over 100% and tends to stay above that threshold, so the base idea should still be workable.

The end result is that the spec will need to be updated with a few changes to avoid this vulnerability. I had agreed to a bounty in theory if you guys approved and someone could find a chink in the armor, but we hadn't officially set a number when the attack was posted.

I proposed 3BTC for bytemaster for being fanatically persistent, even though he didn't actually come up with the attack, and 3 BTC for d'aniel for actually describing how such an attack would work.

With that, I'm going offline for a few days (we're headed to a family reunion). I'll try to catch up on everything on Monday.

P.S. 25 more BTC was sent to the Exodus address a few minutes ago :)

Ron Gross

Aug 7, 2013, 11:59:10 PM8/7/13
to jr.wi...@gmail.com, maste...@googlegroups.com
Can someone please describe the precise attack vector, in the simplest way possible?

jr.wi...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2013, 11:31:37 AM8/12/13
to maste...@googlegroups.com, jr.wi...@gmail.com
If it becomes possible to short MasterCoin-derived currencies, a pegged currency such as GoldCoin becomes vulnerable once it has less than 100% backing in escrow.

The attack is to create a new GoldCoin competitor GoldCoin2 with over 100% backing, which the market will prefer over the original GoldCoin. You then short the original GoldCoin to death. If you have enough money, people panic, the original GoldCoin crashes, and your short pays off.

This attack does not work until shorting becomes possible, and then it only works if someone has a very large amount of money to put to work.

The proposed solution is to automatically dissolve a pegged currency if the escrow fund goes below 100%. I will probably make this a configurable parameter so people can experiment with under-funded escrow funds if they want to.

The other part of the solution is to create incentives which tend to keep the escrow fund over-funded, so everything can still work. A number of incentives for doing this were discussed, including:

* Require currency creator to add some funds to escrow at the beginning, in exchange for receiving any overflow from the escrow fund if it becomes massively over-funded later
* Charge some small transaction fees and put them in the escrow fund
* Create built-in shorting of the pegged currency, and put any losses from the short-sellers in the escrow fund.

Some combination of these incentives will probably be in the next revision of the spec.

Ron Gross

Aug 12, 2013, 1:13:43 PM8/12/13
to jr.wi...@gmail.com, maste...@googlegroups.com
 Well, I'm in favor of rewarding them for their ideas, they save all us of some time and make us iterate more quickly on the spec.
3 BTC each seems fair.

Ron Gross
Co-Founder & CEO @ bitBlu
YourBitBot    |    bitli.st    |    bitblu.com    |    ripper234.com
Schedule my time at meetme.so/RonGross

John Adair

Aug 13, 2013, 5:20:01 PM8/13/13
In order to "short" something, say stock, you have to borrow the stock from someone (e.g. a broker), then sell it. Fortunately, crypto-currencies are not held except in ones wallet; and if one were to "loan" out their cryto-currency, or MasterCoin, or GoldCoin, they would have to give up their private key, or sign a transaction authorizing the sale of their asset. But the concern is not completely gone: when I say, "held except in ones wallet" is not totally a true statement (e.g. coinbase, mtgox, Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust).