Using VPN

Alex Zilmer

Jun 21, 2016, 4:25:52 AM6/21/16
to Maru OS
Hi all,
I am trying to get vpn to work so that I can Remote Desktop (using Remmina) to my work computers from the Debian part of maru-os, that would be pretty handy when traveling.

I have AnyConnect installed and working on the Android part of maru-os, so that I can connect to my company network using Android.
Should the Debian session be able to use that vpn connection too?
I can not get that to work, ex. I can not ping my.work.computer does not work.

Also I have installed VPNC in the Debian part and added a myCompany.conf file that works for me on my Ubuntu machines.
The connection seems to be established with success (when not running AnyConnect on the android part), but I can not contact any machines on the network, i.e. ping my.work.computer does not work.

Any ideas?

P.S. Maru-os is a great idea, Thank you :-)

Cheers, Alex from Denmark

ELSATE COM

Jun 21, 2016, 8:38:22 AM6/21/16
to Maru OS
When you are connected to VPN, you must review your route table.
you will need to delete the default gateway, (as sudo ):
  ip route del default via 192.168.1.254

an add the new one (x.w.y.z your GW VPN):

  ip route add default via x.w.y.z
Gook Luck

Alex Zilmer

Jun 25, 2016, 11:47:37 AM6/25/16
to Maru OS
Thank you, Elsate Com, I will try that next time I am using my device. Cheers, Alex

Alex Zilmer

Jun 27, 2016, 11:04:42 AM6/27/16
to Maru OS
So I tried it (also using "del default via 10.0.0.0" which seems to be my default), but in both cases I can still not access anything using my company vpn (actual gateway is here replaced by xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq) - here is an example from my terminal session:

maru@jessie:~$ sudo ip route del default via 192.168.1.254
RTNETLINK answers: No such process
maru@jessie:~$ sudo ip route add default via xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq
maru@jessie:~$ ping xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq
PING xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq (xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq) 56(84) bytes of data.
^C
--- xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq ping statistics ---
20 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 19064ms

Please advice, since I am a novice on route tables ;-)

Marc B

Apr 5, 2017, 8:58:02 AM4/5/17
to Maru OS
Hello,

are there any new information, concerning the use of the vpn connection via the desktop?
The vpn connection via the Android part is working well, but no chance with the desktop.
I also tried to change the default route without success.

Thanks and best regards

Marc