Desktop Overscan

PHoSawyer

Apr 5, 2016, 1:15:02 PM4/5/16
to Maru
So I'm working away so thought I'd do a field test of MaruOS =]

In a hotel room, phone plugged into TV and have my bluetooth KB and mouse, however I have an overscan problem which I didn't have on my Dell ultrasharp at home. Im getting about half an icons width and height chopped off my desktop, the top bar is a tiny slither.

Currently searching for how to edit the overscan for Xfce but not found anything useful yet, every post says to edit something on the TV and as I'm in a hotel the options are locked down on the TV.

Anyone have any ideas? On the Raspberry Pi there is an overscan app to change it so know it can be done but unsure where to look.

PHoSawyer

Apr 5, 2016, 1:34:13 PM4/5/16
to Maru
Got bored and found a way to unlock the diagnostic menu and turn hotel mode off :D

Switched the picture mode to Smart Fit (Samsung) and bosh, sorted.

Might be worth anyone answering this still as it may be a problem for some else? If anyone knows the answer that is.

Preetam

Apr 5, 2016, 5:20:14 PM4/5/16
to Maru
Thanks for testing Maru in the field! I can confirm I've have had the same issue when using hotel TVs too.

I haven't found a good solution for this yet other than adjusting the TV settings. I don't think XFCE itself has overscan adjustments since it's usually done through the graphics card settings app...I know ATI and Nvidia control panels typically have it on traditional desktops. Either way, TV settings is still the best solution because each model may overscan by different amounts.

It still would be nice to have something in Maru to allow manual overscan adjustment for you when you can't access the TV settings. Can you post this as a feature request in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/maru-os/_TL63qbNsKs so it's on the official list?

For anyone else facing a similar issue, please try adjusting your TV's overscan settings. The actual name of the setting may differ between manufacturers.

Petya Lakatos

Apr 6, 2016, 1:05:11 PM4/6/16
to Maru
I'll add it to the list asap! :)