Cross posting from the new Ocean of Awareness blog to this list for comments

rns

Sep 26, 2012, 12:26:38 AM9/26/12
to marpa-...@googlegroups.com
Fair enough, but then the static blog posts need be cross-posted to this list; also, the new static blog has no rss (it has G+ and twitter so that can or can not be a problem).

Jeffrey Kegler

Sep 26, 2012, 12:40:20 AM9/26/12
to marpa-...@googlegroups.com
Have you checked recently?  The new blog has RSS.  I just checked it and I see the RSS button in my browser.  I clicked through and it seems to work just fine.

I don't always tell this list about new blog posts -- my assumption is that you all follow at least one of: the Ocean of Awareness blog, me on G+; and me on Twitter.  Plus Perlsphere, PW, etc. which also announce my new posts.  But if others would find the additional traffic useful, I'd be glad to do it.

-- jeffrey

rns

Sep 26, 2012, 1:02:00 AM9/26/12
to marpa-...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:40:32 AM UTC+3, Jeffrey Kegler wrote:

Have you checked recently?  The new blog has RSS.  I just checked it and I see the RSS button in my browser.  I clicked through and it seems to work just fine.

Well, your browser seems to be smarter than mine (Google Chrome Version 23.0.1271.1 dev-m on winxp sp3) or I misuse it somehow. :) The screenshot is below.

The RSS link is there, yes, so I got it by viewsource and subscribed, thanks for explaining.

I don't always tell this list about new blog posts -- my assumption is that you all follow at least one of: the Ocean of Awareness blog, me on G+; and me on Twitter.  Plus Perlsphere, PW, etc. which also announce my new posts.  But if others would find the additional traffic useful, I'd be glad to do it.
Well, this looks just fine for tracking the posts.

As for commenting, e.g. I'm now writing a comment to the hyper-quantum post and I had to go to marpa-parser and create a new topic in this list, then copy/paste the text from static page, and then write the comment — a bit less convenient then just pressing a Comment button and quoting. Also, you have to join the group before posting to the list. Perhaps this will give this list more traffic though.

Perhaps a link in the end of every post along the lines "Comment to this post on marpa-parser mailing list" would make commenting easier if Google Groups support new-post links with a subject like mailto:. You have this link in colophone, but this way it'll be more prominent.

Hope this helps.

Peter Stuifzand

Sep 26, 2012, 4:13:50 AM9/26/12
to marpa-...@googlegroups.com
Firefox and Chrome both stopped supporting the RSS icon in the address bar some time ago.

In Firefox you can add it by clicking 'Customize...' on the toolbar and dragging the Subscribe button to the toolbar.

In Chrome you would need to install an extension. I use this one written by Google.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nlbjncdgjeocebhnmkbbbdekmmmcbfjd

I found it useful, because I subscribe to lots of RSS feeds.

--
Peter Stuifzand | peterstuifzand.nl | @pstuifzand

rns

Sep 26, 2012, 4:26:26 AM9/26/12
to marpa-...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:13:51 AM UTC+3, Peter Stuifzand wrote:
In Chrome you would need to install an extension. I use this one written by Google.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nlbjncdgjeocebhnmkbbbdekmmmcbfjd
Just installed it and it works great.

I found it useful, because I subscribe to lots of RSS feeds.
So I did as so I do too. Thanks for pointing.

rns

Sep 26, 2012, 5:06:29 AM9/26/12
to marpa-...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, @laurencetratt does it like this

Parsing: The Solved Problem That Isn't

March 15 2011

Parsing is the act of taking a stream of characters and deducing if and how they conform to an underlying grammar. For example the sentence Bill hits Ben conforms to the part of the English gramm ...