Oscilloscope to borrow for Ingenuity Fest?

jarryd.huntley

Sep 14, 2012, 1:47:35 PM9/14/12
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone.

I'm Jarryd from the Cleveland Game Developers group. I'm looking to borrow a two channel oscilloscope for my Cleveland Ingenuity Fest project. The one I've been using broke yesterday and repair is far beyond my experience. I would just need to borrow it for the weekend for the fest. I'm hoping to locate one today so I can set up.

Email: Jarryd....@Gmail.com

Thanks!

Joe O'Donnell

Sep 14, 2012, 2:25:15 PM9/14/12
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
If you have an Android phone you could try this:
http://hackaday.com/2012/07/14/android-oscilloscope-built-from-parts-just-laying-around/

If not you could stop by our booth and use one of the kits we are distributing to build this:
http://www.radioshackdiy.com/project-gallery/arduino-oscilloscope

--- On Fri, 9/14/12, jarryd.huntley <Jarryd....@Gmail.com> wrote:

Joe O'Donnell

Sep 14, 2012, 2:37:05 PM9/14/12
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
Btw, if you make the android oscope, be sure to isolate it from any above audio level signal source using an optocoupler or at least transistor from radioshack.

--- On Fri, 9/14/12, Joe O'Donnell <joseph....@yahoo.com> wrote:

jarryd.huntley

Sep 14, 2012, 5:03:07 PM9/14/12
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
Great idea. I have phone but I think Android tablet would work better.

You did lose me with the octocoupler or transistor bit. Could you point me to a circuit diagram or something of the like?

I also need to check to see whether that application allow for x/y mode.

Thanks!

Joe O'Donnell

Sep 14, 2012, 6:57:50 PM9/14/12
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
Here is how to use an optocoupler, the point of using it is to prevent larger voltages than desirable from going into your android phone:

http://www.technogumbo.com/projects/Learning-to-Use-an-Optocoupler-or-OptoIsolator/

Or use a zener diode:

http://electrapk.com/zener-limiting/
http://www.reuk.co.uk/Zener-Diode-Voltage-Regulator.htm

That android approach won't allow x-y mode.

I don't think that first Arduino project allows x-y mode either. This project below allows multiple inputs, by you will probably have to modify the display code to make it x-y:

http://www.practicalarduino.com/projects/scope-logic-analyzer