Applying Kapton Tape: An Impossible Task?

Jin Choi

Feb 20, 2014, 7:14:58 PM2/20/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Any tips for applying polyamide tape to the glass plate?

I've been printing on glass with hairspray, and it's been working well until I tried to print a large object in ABS at 50% infill. Even with large tabs on the corners, it was pulling up and ruining the print. I decided to try a brute force fix, with polyamide tape and ABS juice.

I cannot for the life of me get the tape on without wrinkles or bubbles. I've applied phone screen protectors in the past without troubles, but this is another world of hurt. Any tricks?

Ketil Froyn

Feb 20, 2014, 7:17:38 PM2/20/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, use soapy water. I don't use kapton myself (only print PLA), but
I've read and heard about it. Check out this video for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6y8St1q2LM

and google "kapton tape soapy water" for more info.

Ketil
> --

-Ketil

jimc

Feb 20, 2014, 7:20:23 PM2/20/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Jin i never get it 100% clean but i can get it close. I apply with a vinyl application squeege. Slowly put it down from one end to the other.

Scott Booker

Feb 20, 2014, 7:21:21 PM2/20/14
to make...@googlegroups.com

As Ketil said... the trick is soapy water and a squeegie (or credit card edge). You can also use Windex.

Just make sure you get all of the water scraped to the edge.  And then you should probably let it sit for a while, perhaps on low heat.  If you have any moisture trapped under the Kapton it will come to a boil and create a bubble when you heat the build plate to 110...

jimc

Feb 20, 2014, 7:30:30 PM2/20/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Yes like doing windiw tint

Bryan Boettcher

Feb 20, 2014, 7:40:47 PM2/20/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
I've found with my Kapton that I have to let it air dry overnight with multiple squeege-ings before hand.  It's a 12+ hour process to get a good taped bed, but mine are flawless. </humble>

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 6:30 PM, jimc <xtremekr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes like doing windiw tint

Jin Choi

Feb 20, 2014, 7:57:45 PM2/20/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Brilliant. Just wish I'd known this before I completely covered my bed. Looks like the surface of the moon.