Michael Curry and I need help!

Luis E. Rodriguez

Jan 27, 2011, 12:38:20 AM1/27/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
So we are printing another cathedral for an upcoming feature in...can't say...and my thing-o-matic is freaking out. It's like it won't zero out anymore. When I run the ToM calibration script it maxes out at 61!? My usual max z height was 123.4 FOREVER until a couple hours ago? Any ideas?

Luis E. Rodriguez

Luis E. Rodriguez

Jan 27, 2011, 12:50:51 AM1/27/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
When I move 10 mm in the control panel its moving 20mm

Jordan Miller

Jan 27, 2011, 1:05:38 AM1/27/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
hmm... i would:
reset mobo and turn off and on. maybe re-upload firmware. i've seen something like this once, where both Z+ and Z- on ToM make it go Z-. I did these things and it was fixed.

also your machines.xml file may have been corrupted? try a fresh machine definition.

jordan

On Jan 27, 2011, at 12:50 AM, Luis E. Rodriguez wrote:

> When I move 10 mm in the control panel its moving 20mm

Luis E. Rodriguez

Jan 27, 2011, 1:21:25 AM1/27/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
Re-download RepG then? I tried editing the makerbot.xml file and when I changed steps per mm from 200 to 100 it moved correctly but that is a bad hack. Why would everything be doubled all of a sudden? Bad stepper driver?

Jordan Miller

Jan 27, 2011, 2:54:49 AM1/27/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
check if the microstepping switches on the stepper driver got bumped or are set not as you're expecting.

jordan

On Jan 27, 2011, at 1:21 AM, "Luis E. Rodriguez" <lrodrig...@gmail.com> wrote:

Re-download RepG then? I tried editing the makerbot.xml file and when I changed steps per mm from 200 to 100 it moved correctly but that is a bad hack. Why would everything be doubled all of a sudden? Bad stepper driver?

Matt Mets

Jan 27, 2011, 1:20:29 AM1/27/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
Are your stepper drivers set to do 1/8 step microstepping?

Matt Mets

Jan 27, 2011, 1:24:59 AM1/27/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
It's possible- you could check by switching it with one of the other axis, and seeing if the problem transfers.

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 1:21 AM, Luis E. Rodriguez <lrodrig...@gmail.com> wrote:
Re-download RepG then? I tried editing the makerbot.xml file and when I changed steps per mm from 200 to 100 it moved correctly but that is a bad hack. Why would everything be doubled all of a sudden? Bad stepper driver?

Ed Nisley

Jan 27, 2011, 9:47:22 AM1/27/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 22:21 -0800, Luis E. Rodriguez wrote:
> Why would everything be doubled all of a sudden?
> Bad stepper driver?

Bingo!

Quoth Goldfinger: "Third time is enemy action."

My MBI support ticket:

http://support.makerbot.com/requests/2814

The replacement driver board should arrive today...

Something causes the microstepping control inputs to die inside the
driver chip. The DIP switches are fine and the external pins on the chip
track the switch settings, but the chip ignores them.

We now have two failures on stock driver boards and one failure with my
+5 V hack, which rules out (most) power supply issues. I suspect the
ground & power connections from the driver chip to the Molex connector
isn't up to the job.

This thread has some interesting information:

http://groups.google.com/group/makerbot/browse_frm/thread/b3f3bcde426e4f8d#

I'll apply some cut-and-add surgery to those boards to see what I can do
to improve things...

--
Ed
http://softsolder.com

Luis E. Rodriguez

Jan 27, 2011, 10:09:42 AM1/27/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! I will start the process and submit a ticket. It may be two
axis in my case, Z and X. I'll check tonight. Disappointing after a
day and a half of multiple hour builds. THAT burns up boards?

Luis E. Rodriguez

Ed Nisley

Jan 27, 2011, 12:29:56 PM1/27/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 09:09 -0600, Luis E. Rodriguez wrote:
> THAT burns up boards?

The second failure on my driver board (the first was to go from 1/8 to
1/4 stepping) happened at the same time the Z axis faceplanted into the
ABP after doing the home routine.

I *suspect* a glitch on the +12 V line caused by firing up the ABP and
Extruder heaters, but the TOM has done that same dance many times before
without a problem.

That, of course, is the nature of glitches: timing is everything!

--
Ed
http://softsolder.com

Oren Beck

Jan 27, 2011, 2:53:29 PM1/27/11
to MakerBot Operators
History lessons are sometimes "less expensive" than writing a new
book, but still have a cost calculated in SANITY. Being driven insane
by glitches oftentimes is a result of ignored history lessons:}
Patience is in order as MBI and *EVERYBODY* participating in the weird
realms of Solid Printing are collaborators writing a new book!

The history lessons about connector "wigglies" causing Exasperating &
often Expensive component damage modes are an example. There's a
balance zone between over and under design of load bearing elements.
Same applies to signal paths.

The common element of EPIC fail is intermittent bugs.

RCA used to have a database/reporting concept&tool called "Symcure" as
referent to the phrase "Symptom Cure" with reporting forms to format
data. Often the diagrams and boards had defined locational geometric
legends to correlate "Jx0" with where it "was" both in circuit and on
board in addition to "what" it did. It was not uncommon to see a
shop's circuit prints annotated with "Field Fix" tips like checking
for ring cracks in the solder of a pin header. and unless they got
from a shop's "Dead Tree" notes into the online database no one else
knew of information that could save money=sanity etc.

Thanks to all who file bug reports- we're learning every day - but,
we've some histories to re-learn.

These Fab 'bots are so dependent upon SMD tech that many component
fails end up being Depot Rework! Do not misread me folks, SMD is not
per se a good or bad design concept. It's where in a design we use SMT
or decide to use socketed devices.

If it's a consumer gadget that's rather unlikely to see daylight upon
it's PCB- use SMD and it's attendant cost deltas make sense more often
than not.

If it's a device that we're writing the documentation every day? ah,
that's a Very Good Reason to evaluate socketing or daughterboarding
frequently smoke emitting devices.

Here's why my screed is not misplaced WrT the excellent query by Luis
about burned up boards. The "board" is obviously at risk of diverse
events damaging both the foils and components. Flying leads carrying
heater and motor power densities up the ante on damage points. Roll a
D20 and bet your chips upon every wiggly connector or mishap with no
discoverable at first- cause factors. That bet can be "less painful"
to lose if we develop design rules FEEDING BACK the death toll rosters
of SMD electronics and connectors etc. So folks can simply pop out a
socketed device and pop in another- or swap a daughterboard that has
fixed "dud" charges and gets updated several revisions each trip back
thru depot or on our own bench.

Arguments over my terminology semantics aside? If we used designs
having socketed drivers and air gap optical isolations we'd spend more
time extruding and less time gnashing teeth at our 'bot failures.
Hope this seems worth your time reading..

Luis E. Rodriguez

Jan 28, 2011, 2:33:43 AM1/28/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
Two bad steppers, I swapped them out with some others and bingo, fixed. I'll be sending those in. Weird.
Message has been deleted

ddurant

Jan 28, 2011, 11:20:09 AM1/28/11
to MakerBot Operators
I don't trust those UP! things. I bet it's sneaking over in the middle
of the night and messing with your makerbot.

On Jan 28, 2:33 am, "Luis E. Rodriguez" <lrodriguezm...@gmail.com>

Luis E. Rodriguez

Jan 28, 2011, 12:29:33 PM1/28/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
I will check! I never went through the tune your driver (ref pot etc)
because the wiki said that was done already. Wondering if I should
have? In my case I swapped out the drivers and was off and running
again. Didn't fix my profile though. ;)

Luis E. Rodriguez

On Jan 28, 2011, at 9:25 AM, coasterman-1674 <coast...@live.com> wrote:

> Make sure none of the wires are severed! My Y motor was wobbling and I
> thought it was bad. Turns out the red wire was severed. I resoldered
> it and my printer is happy again!

> On Jan 28, 2:33 am, "Luis E. Rodriguez" <lrodriguezm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> Two bad steppers, I swapped them out with some others and bingo, fixed. I'll
>> be sending those in. Weird.

Luis E. Rodriguez

Jan 28, 2011, 5:49:16 PM1/28/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
Ha! Maybe. Maybe.

Luis E. Rodriguez

Jan 28, 2011, 5:49:46 PM1/28/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
I meant stepper drivers, just the boards. Not the motors.