Customizing your Replicators...

Jay

Aug 25, 2013, 8:47:25 AM8/25/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I recently upgraded both the R2 and R2X with Carl's Alu-Carriage....and since we lose the cool warning sticker....I made new ones...I have seen some other ones out there too...Anyone else wanna post up pics?

Probably going to change the 2X one..not catchy enough...

Jay

Jetguy

Aug 25, 2013, 9:01:24 AM8/25/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Nice!!!!!!!!!

AGG

Aug 25, 2013, 9:08:22 AM8/25/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
After completing all possible standard upgrades I started doing my own like this one:

It is not complete yet. I have to sand and paint it but you can get the idea of better covering the shaking LCD module with a front plate. It is still day 10 from receiving my new Replicator 2 so I'm still learning.

Jetguy

Aug 25, 2013, 9:20:50 AM8/25/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Notice those Bottlework's aluminum Z arms just barely visible.

Nice printed bezel.

Jay

Aug 25, 2013, 10:36:58 AM8/25/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Cool....gonna put the .stl file up for anyone who wants to try? Joined Thingiverse yet?

Jay

Carl

Aug 25, 2013, 12:25:44 PM8/25/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a great idea for a quick competition! :-)

I'm willing to sponsor a FREE AluCarriage - Revision 2 (Dual or Single in Black or Clear) to whoever comes up with the best design for the front of an AluCarriage...

Obviously there would need to be some ground rules...
  1. The submissions (if there are any more!) need to be made to this thread to officially qualify - if posted to Thingiverse... the link to the design needs to be on this thread! :-)
  2. The design can be anything... so long as it fits to the front of an AluCarriage and does not affect its function / safe operation!
  3. Closing date for submissions needs to be on or before the 8th of September, 2013
  4. After the closing date... anyone can cast a vote for their favourite submission to this thread...
  5. The winner will be the submission with the most votes received on or before the 15th of September, 2013.
  6. If you have already purchased a AluCarriage (ever!)... I'll refund the amount you paid for the carriage if you don't have a use for another one.
  7. If no submissions are received... Jay wins by default! :-)

Anyone keen?

AGG

Sep 3, 2013, 12:40:16 PM9/3/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Finally I figured out how to do it and now it is there as my first thing.

Next is a complete sensor to detect run out of filament and all other issues about the proper supply of filament. I read all information everywhere and still cannot find complete project for that.

Steve Johnstone

Sep 3, 2013, 4:27:13 PM9/3/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I would love to have a go at this. Is there a stl. Model of the carages?

Carl

Sep 3, 2013, 5:10:59 PM9/3/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Attached are the front face dimensions for both the AluCarriage Dual and AluCarriage Single... Entries must be in on or before the 8th of September... and it must be something for the front face of the AluCarriage to qualify...

It would be great to see a few more entries! :-)

AluCarriage_Front-Faces.jpg

Steve Johnstone

Sep 5, 2013, 6:51:00 AM9/5/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Carl,

I'm nearly there with my entries.

Carl

Sep 5, 2013, 7:20:54 AM9/5/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! I look forward to seeing your entry! :-)

Suraj Chandiramani

Sep 5, 2013, 12:58:40 PM9/5/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Here is one I designed.  Would just need scaling to fit the single or dual extruder.
Tag.stl
Tag.JPG

Steve Johnstone

Sep 6, 2013, 10:32:02 AM9/6/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Just finished my designs and uploaded them to Thingiverse (a first for me).... hope you enjoy :).

I have done different designs to suit the Replicator 2 & 2X. Both can be printed as a single color or in dual colors. Unfortunately I haven't been able to print them as me 2X has gone back to MBI for repair. I have in the past printed similar models that have come out great.

If anyone does print them could you post a picture as it's going to weeks before I get by printer back.

Cheers,

Feed me! (for the Replicator 2) - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:147054

Dream it... Print it!  (for the Replicator 2X) - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:147025

I haven't been able to print them out

DHeadrick

Sep 6, 2013, 11:57:52 AM9/6/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Nice work!  I like the planetary gears in the 2X design.  Well done.

Carl

Sep 7, 2013, 11:52:01 PM9/7/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Last day to submit your entries!:-)

Eighty

Sep 7, 2013, 11:54:35 PM9/7/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Dang it, I ran out of time. I've been meaning to draw up a sticker with arrows pointing up, saying "to break fan blades, insert hex key here"

Carl

Sep 8, 2013, 12:08:59 AM9/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
LOL! :-) You still have some time...

Jetguy

Sep 8, 2013, 12:53:06 AM9/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
 "to break fan blades, insert hex key here"

YES!!! that gets my vote!!!! I laughed so hard it hurts.
I'm looking at no less than 3 broken fans right now for that exact reason. In fact, It's so bad that I broke one, replaced it, and not 5 minutes later broke the replacement doing the same thing!!!!

Eighty

Sep 8, 2013, 1:04:50 PM9/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
YES!!! that gets my vote!!!! I laughed so hard it hurts.
I'm looking at no less than 3 broken fans right now for that exact reason. In fact, It's so bad that I broke one, replaced it, and not 5 minutes later broke the replacement doing the same thing!!!!

Ok, here it is.  Officially submitted...
AluSticker.jpg

Carl

Sep 9, 2013, 8:07:41 AM9/9/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Four official entries! :-)

Place your votes / positive comment for either Jay, Suraj, Steve or Eighty's submissions.

At the end of this week all votes / positive comments since the beginning of this thread will be added together and the winner will be announced on Monday, 16th of September!

Eighty

Sep 9, 2013, 1:24:25 PM9/9/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
After careful review of the entries, and much deliberation, I cast my vote for...Eighty.

Steve Johnstone

Sep 9, 2013, 4:11:43 PM9/9/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Lol :)

Steve Johnstone

Sep 9, 2013, 4:15:03 PM9/9/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I vote for me too...... I mean Steve

DHeadrick

Sep 9, 2013, 4:40:05 PM9/9/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
My vote is for Steve Johnstone's Dream it... Print it!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:147025

Jay

Sep 14, 2013, 10:15:11 PM9/14/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hey Carl!

Who won? I just remembered about the contest and came to check out the competition....I have a new one but it's got vulgar language on it so I didn't submit it :(

***************************
** Magic? Eff Yeah! **
***************************
Uh..except the printed version doesn't just say "eff"....

Cheers!

Jay

Carl

Sep 14, 2013, 11:57:53 PM9/14/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Last day for votes! Hopefully we get a vote or two more today so that we have a clear winner! :-)

Steve Johnstone

Sep 15, 2013, 4:36:20 AM9/15/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Yeah... Come on you lot, get some votes in to get us a clear winner.

I see "Dream it... Print it!" has been downloaded 34 times. Has anyone on the forum printed it as I would love to see some pics?

Good luck all,

Steve

Jay

Sep 15, 2013, 9:56:29 AM9/15/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Uh..ok..I vote for Steve...NO WAIT>...for me! :)

I didn't put mine up on thingiverse...hmmm...might have to do that!

Jay

Steve Johnstone

Sep 15, 2013, 10:27:27 AM9/15/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
LOL... Jay your are a nutter!

I don' t think it has to be uploaded, don't know about how the others feel, but I'm not bothered if it isn't.

Eighty

Sep 15, 2013, 2:05:58 PM9/15/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Ok, hopefully this vote will break the tie and show a clear winner.
I cast my vote for Eighty.

Joseph Chiu

Sep 15, 2013, 2:27:22 PM9/15/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

I was going to enter, then saw Eighty's... and threw in the towel.   :)

So my vote is for Eighty's.

(I happened to break a fan blade a few days before, too...)

On Sep 15, 2013 11:06 AM, "Eighty" <adun...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ok, hopefully this vote will break the tie and show a clear winner.
I cast my vote for Eighty.

diecast_dirtboy

Sep 15, 2013, 7:19:06 PM9/15/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Here are the photos of the colored side panels. Its the first time I have used flickr for photos so I hope you guys can get to the photos.

Carl

Sep 16, 2013, 1:30:20 PM9/16/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Well... This was trickier than I thought! :-)

The votes were dismal - especially considering the number of page views... I was even tempted to count votes placed for your own design! :-)

Anyway... It looks like Eighty won this one by the narrowest of margins...

Congratulations Eighty! :-) Since you already have an AluCarriage... what will it be? Your money back or a shiny new AluCarriage Dual or Single in Black or Clear? - send me an email and let me know!

Thank you to everyone who entered! Hopefully I'll do this again at some point in the future so anyone who has a great idea and never got around to entering... maybe next time!

Carl

Sep 16, 2013, 3:20:07 PM9/16/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Eighty has graciously chosen to rather donate his prize to the second runner up... Congratulations Steve! :-) Please send me an email!

Jetguy

Sep 16, 2013, 3:22:20 PM9/16/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations to everyone regardless.
I loved all the entries and the spirit of the group.

Steve Johnstone

Sep 16, 2013, 3:45:45 PM9/16/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations Eighty and thanks Carl for a fun competition and very generous prize.

Eighty

Sep 16, 2013, 5:52:38 PM9/16/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Carl,
Thanks for hosting the party, and for being such a help to the community!

Carl

Sep 16, 2013, 6:06:00 PM9/16/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Pleasure!:-) Jay deserves the biggest thanks though - he sparked the idea in my mind!

I'll try and do this again in future... maybe give people a little more time to come up with stuff and to vote...

Steve Johnstone

Sep 18, 2013, 9:10:25 AM9/18/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carl,

Got my printer back last night and couldn't resist print the label "Dream it... Print it!".

MakerWare sliced it really weird (really strange tool paths) but managed to get a print out at 0.3 layer height, 1 skin & 100% fill.

It came out not too bad considering how intricate some of the details are.

Just about to change to Sailfish firmware & Simplify 3D.... not sure exactly what I'm doing but I'm sure I can muddle through.

Carl

Sep 18, 2013, 12:55:30 PM9/18/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!:-) I believe it will look even better on your new AluCarriage! :-)

Steve Johnstone

Sep 18, 2013, 3:27:41 PM9/18/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Carl, I was just about to reply saying that I haven't got a AluCarriage... and then I realized that Eighty had donated it to me... WOW

Eighty... thanks a bunch mate - That's really made my day :)

Eighty

Sep 18, 2013, 10:45:06 PM9/18/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Steve,
You're certainly welcome. You'll like Carl's contraption! I have the Alucarriage on both of my printers.

Steve Johnstone

Sep 28, 2013, 10:55:49 AM9/28/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Well it all installed and looks FANTASTIC!

I haven't put the label on it as it seems a shame to hide it.... it's so nice and shiny :)

I have put it up on YouTube with some comments on the installation (a bit rushed) - http://youtu.be/x82pfCGb2nU

Thanks again guys.

Wingcommander

Sep 28, 2013, 2:18:03 PM9/28/13