best practices w/ hair spray on glass, unheated, PLA?

Daniel Ammann

Jan 8, 2013, 3:39:29 PM1/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
So I switched over to a Glass build plate, expecting that this will be the best solution for all my level-, sticking- and bending problems (Replicator 2, PLA, unheated platform), but am still having issues, primarily with parts bending once after the first few layers, so my success  with "L'Oreal Studio invisible FX" are not convincing....

Anyone willing to share which hair spray to use, and how to  apply it for best results? Immediately before printing? Or do you let it dry first? Do you clean the glass after or just add another round on top for the next print?

Daniel

Clinton Hoines

Jan 8, 2013, 3:48:30 PM1/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
If you are using hairspray on glass you will need a heated bed IMO it does not work well at all without the heat. I run my PLA at 65deg on a hairspary covered glass works perfect.

Clinton

Daniel Ammann

Jan 8, 2013, 4:25:13 PM1/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

You sure?

The thread at https://groups.google.com/d/topic/makerbot/mlXDsKKMTe4/discussion lead me to believe that no heating would be necessary....

Adan Akerman

Jan 8, 2013, 4:40:09 PM1/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I've not tried it without heat, actually, but lots of people seem to be printing successfully on glass with their Rep2.

I've also not printed with PLA, but I can say that I've definitely experienced a lot of variation between different hairsprays. Suave didn't hold very well... but Garnier Fructis with bamboo extract? Super good hold. Aquanet is also reputed to be good, but again I'm not sure if that's just ABS or PLA.

Also try sugar water. And try wood glue. The cool thing about glass is it's a nice flat surface for experimentation.

Good luck,

Adan

Herón Ordóñez Guillén

Jan 8, 2013, 6:13:58 PM1/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I am using Suave Extra Hold, it says it is the higher level of "hold" for the line.

I usually let it dry before printing, when it's whet it doesn't stick. It will last about 3 or 4 prints before you need to spray again. If you are having problems with the prints curling, you can adjust your z-offset and try to squish the first layer a little more.

I also have the hypothesis that the colder weather will unstick the piece as it prints, as I usually put the glass on the freezer to release the pieces… since you have a Rep2, you don't have a Heated bed, but try printing in a warmer place, maybe warm the glass a little bit before printing (like, place it near a lamp for a while, not in the oven)

I know it works as I've been using it for weeks without problem.

Jamie Laing

Jan 8, 2013, 6:33:16 PM1/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'll second that cold weather observation.  In a cold room, say 65F, I've noticed that just bringing the Replicator 2 bed up to the temperature of my hand, by resting my hand on it for a while, make the first layer stick better.  It also seems like curl prone models curl more in a colder room.

AKron

Jan 8, 2013, 8:27:32 PM1/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I print with PLA on glass at 60C, and Aquanet #3 extra super hold from ShopKo. It works very well with PLA, but I've had limited success with larger ABS prints and still use Kapton/acetone glue for that. I give the glass a little spray close up, and spread it around with my finger stuck in a rag. If I try to remove the print after it's done it's stuck solid, but if I wait a while it comes off without any noticeable resistance. I think it would slide off if I tipped the Replicator. While it's cooling I can hear little "ting" sounds as the PLA contracts from the glass.

Ryan Gerrish

Jan 10, 2013, 1:36:49 AM1/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I havent had much luck getting PLA to stick to glass on my Rep2, but I"ll try again with a little heat gun action on the glass first...

John Driggers

Jan 10, 2013, 10:12:01 AM1/10/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Go easy - my heatgun will do about 400c - you are probably better off with a hairdryer, unless you know your heatgun *very* well.

Mark Salerno

Feb 19, 2013, 9:15:35 PM2/19/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I purchased my rep 2 in December and would need to make several attempts at printing a part but the part would not stick to the stock build plate.

I now run the build plate over warm water before I start and I never have a problem.

Hope this helps.

Teya

Feb 28, 2013, 3:35:06 PM2/28/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I've been using Garnier Fructis extra hold, and I spray it right before printing (usually while the extruder is heating) for best results.

However, I'm using ABS with a non-heated platform, and I combine this strategy with an acetone/plastic "glue" solution painted on first. Depending on the colour of plastic and temperature, though, sometimes just hairspray can work.

lassikin

Mar 4, 2013, 5:57:28 AM3/4/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
+1 for garnier(the bamboo extra hold). also I've never had pla "bend". it curls up from edges when it's not cooled enough, but that doesn't "bend" the whole piece.

Shane Graber

Mar 4, 2013, 11:33:49 AM3/4/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
What temperature are you printing at with hairspray?

Shane

Adrian Fan

Mar 4, 2013, 2:52:14 PM3/4/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I couldn't get the print to stick to my glass bed as well. Previously on the stock Rep2 bed, I used Gatsby super hold hairspray. Seems to work. So may try again.

I will wait for it to dry then start the print. I usually continue adding the spray till it's very dirty then wash it.