platform moves up in flight of toolchange

funBart

Apr 27, 2012, 12:56:23 PM4/27/12
to MakerBot Operators
I'm making models of our architectural projects. In general I think I
have fine tunes the several settings in skeinforge for this kind of
print (lots of walls and columns of 2mm).

I have a video made and gcode/stl put at the makerbot support forum.
http://support.makerbot.com/entries/21325808-hpb-platform-moves-up-in-between-toolchange

The biggest problem is that after a toolchange the platform moves up
in the flight from the last printed object of that tool to the
startpoint of the second tool. Therefore it printed pushes objects and
breaks them often. I have to tried it to fix it with hop, but that
only works when printing. Not in the flight in between toolchange. I
have also tries it with a fresh and resetted ReplicatorG and a
standard object (hilberts box). It happens there as well. I have
checked the Gcode, but the Z coordinates are always the same or
getting higher (so the platform is always moving down according to the
Gcode). Maybe it has something to do with the coordinate system (G54/
G55) witch is called, but when I change this the same problem occurs.

I have installed again, resetted preferences, restored defaults, run
the leveling script again, calibrated again, saw that the settings
correct filled in the onboard preferences. It does not matter whether
I use my skeinforge profile or the default replicator profile, use
another start file, change the tools. I used hop, but that only worked
while printing.

maybe it has something to do with this?
https://github.com/makerbot/ReplicatorG/pull/266

Beside that, I noticed that sometime in control panel, when you move
only the X or something, also the Y or Z (or both) is moving. Maybe
has to do something with it.

Andrew Plumb

Apr 27, 2012, 1:12:47 PM4/27/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I can't open the AVI file.  Could you upload it to YouTube or Vimeo?

Andrew.

"The future is already here.  It's just not very evenly distributed" -- William Gibson

Me: http://clothbot.com/wiki/

funBart

Apr 27, 2012, 1:18:02 PM4/27/12
to MakerBot Operators
Hi, I put a quicktime version there as well. You have to download it
BTW, is not playing online.
http://support.makerbot.com/entries/21325808-hpb-platform-moves-up-in-between-toolchange

Bart

On 27 apr, 19:12, Andrew Plumb <and...@plumb.org> wrote:
> I can't open the AVI file.  Could you upload it to YouTube or Vimeo?
>
> Andrew.
>
> On 2012-04-27, at 12:56 PM, funBart wrote:
>

> > I'm making models of our architectural projects. In general I think I
> > have fine tunes the several settings in skeinforge for this kind of
> > print (lots of walls and columns of 2mm).
>
> > I have a video made and gcode/stl put at the makerbot support forum.
> >http://support.makerbot.com/entries/21325808-hpb-platform-moves-up-in...

funBart

Apr 27, 2012, 1:30:45 PM4/27/12
to MakerBot Operators
Now on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBdkETGqZdo&feature=youtu.be

On 27 apr, 19:18, funBart <funb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I put a quicktime version there as well. You have to download it
> BTW, is not playing online.http://support.makerbot.com/entries/21325808-hpb-platform-moves-up-in...

Bart ter Haar

Apr 28, 2012, 10:33:52 AM4/28/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Makerbot support, Ben, has found some problems in my dual extrusion Gcode:

Hi Bart,
Another update - I've found something interesting, probably an intermediate effect of an underlying issue, but thought I'd share it with you. I'm attaching 2 gcode files - yours, and one I generated using defaults. Compare the lines indicated below, note the comma/dot discrepancy.

In original: "test"
line 3108 - G1 X-36,34 Y-6,16 Z1,47 F3000
compare to rep default "tstmrgd RPDFCOMBOFF.gcode"
line 3108 - G1 X-36.34 Y-6.16 Z1.47 F3000

In original
line 3148 - G1 X33,94 Y-1,27 Z1,53 F3000
in default
G1 X33.94 Y-1.27 Z1.53 F3000

In original
line 3892 - G1 X15,8 Y13,74 Z1,74 F3000
in default
line 3892 - G1 X15.8 Y13.74 Z1.74 F3000

Every line like this after a tool change looks the same. So this looks like a bug - whose, I'm not sure yet. Could be a plugin, or skeinforge, or RepG. I'll run it by our software people and see what they say.

- Ben

Hi Ben

Glad you found something, hope this is causing the problem and is possible to solve.
I thought that skeinforce not works with dots. So probably only reads Z=1 in stead of Z=1.74, resulting in going up. Explains as well the difference each time it goes up. Sometimes a lot (max a mm I suppose) and sometimes almost noting. Looks promising!

I try tomorrow to "find and replace" all the kommas with dots in Gcode as workaround and do a testprint.
Bart

Bart

Andrew Plumb

Apr 28, 2012, 10:42:13 AM4/28/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
That looks a lot like the underlying bug/issue is probably that skeinforge is inheriting your system's locale settings.  Many non-English locales use "," as the decimal number separator instead of the "." used in *nix "C" and "en_US" variants.

Andrew.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/makerbot/-/n-BFy8GorbUJ.

Bart

Apr 28, 2012, 10:48:49 AM4/28/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Maybe, but it's only doing that just in case of toolchange. A little bit more Gcode:
G1 X15.54 Y13.68 Z10.11 F960.0 E418.531
G1 X15.54 Y12.74 Z10.11 F960.0 E418.568
G1 X37.11 Y12.74 Z10.11 F960.0 E419.427
G1 X37.11 Y13.02 Z10.11 F960.0 E419.438
G1 F798.0
G1 E418.938
G1 F960.0
M103
(*************start toolchange*************)
G54
M108 T0(Set tool)
M18 A B
G1 Z10,21 F3000
G1 X37,1 Y0,48 Z10,21 F3000
G1 F3300,0
(*************end toolchange*************)
M73 P68 (display progress)
(<layer> 10.122 )
G1 X37.1 Y0.48 Z10.08 F3300.0
G1 X37.04 Y0.54 Z10.12 F1980.0
G1 X8.3 Y-3.69 Z10.12 F3300.0

Op zaterdag 28 april 2012 16:42:13 UTC+2 schreef Andrew Plumb het volgende:
[...]

Dan Newman

Apr 28, 2012, 11:00:45 AM4/28/12
to make...@googlegroups.com

On 28 Apr 2012 , at 7:48 AM, Bart wrote:

> Maybe, but it's only doing that just in case of toolchange. A little bit more Gcode:

Yes, but many SF plugins are run in the course of slicing. Each one tweaks different
parts of the gcode. All it takes is for one plugin to use a locale-aware formatting
template for one line of its output to cause this effect. (And Python does have such
capabilities.) It's also possible, but not
likely, for a plugin to have a line of code which uses a comma instead of a dot. Unlikely
though since other folks would likely be seeing this as well if that were the case.

Dan

Bart

Apr 28, 2012, 11:10:48 AM4/28/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I change the local settings to US and regenerate the Gcode for dual extrusion in ReplicatorG. Hope it works, because I'm struggling with it for a week now....
Bart

Greg Thorstad

Apr 28, 2012, 11:54:05 AM4/28/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I think I agree with Andrew about the Regional settings of the machine.

It probably still is a bug but is only showing up in the toolhead change portion because it is relatively new and untested with different machine settings.

The easiest test would probably be to change your regional settings to US English, reboot and try to generate the code.  If it solves the problem then that is a good starting point for the ReplicatorG folks to resolve the bug.

Greg Thorstad, B. Comm.
Thorstad Computer/Thor3d.ca/Canadian Makerbot Distributor
Box 268
Outlook, SK
S0L 2N0
306 867-9596
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/makerbot/-/RG_iZjvBS44J.

Bart

Apr 28, 2012, 11:56:37 AM4/28/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Seems to generate the Gcode now ok, with local settings to US.  Witch module is responsible for the merge of two gcodes with dual extrusion in ReplicatorG. I have tried to find it, but it seems to be enclosed in the replicatorG program itself.
Bart

Dan Newman

Apr 28, 2012, 12:06:21 PM4/28/12
to make...@googlegroups.com

On 28 Apr 2012 , at 8:56 AM, Bart wrote:

> Seems to generate the Gcode now ok, with local settings to US.

Ahh, it's nice when developers add globalization support to their code
so that it can be localized. However, bugs like this then arise when
a globalization routine gets used where the syntax is necessarily
rigid and not subject to localization concerns (i.e., "." and not ",").

Dan