MakerWare no more in MakerBot's eyes

Dan Newman

Aug 15, 2014, 10:17:43 PM8/15/14
to makerbo...@googlegroups.com
In the past day or two, the MakerBot MakerWare page has begun re-directing to MakerBot Desktop.
This makes it a little hard for folks who want to download MakerWare to find MakerWare. Instead,
they can only find Desktop (and then have to look at all the crap-tastic MakerBot advertising
and lousy UI eye candy).

So, here's the URLs to what were likely the latest MakerWare downloads for OS X and Windows.
Sorry, but I didn't spot the Linux versions as I searched around.

Dan

OS X 10.7+
http://s3.amazonaws.com/downloads.makerbot.com/makerware/MakerWare Bundle of Awesome 2.4.1.35.dmg

OS X 10.6
http://s3.amazonaws.com/downloads.makerbot.com/makerware/MakerWare Bundle of Awesome 2.4.1.24_10.6.dmg

Windows XP
http://s3.amazonaws.com/downloads.makerbot.com/makerware/MakerWare_Bundle_of_Awesome_2.2.2.89_BETA_Install.exe

Windows 7/8 x64
http://s3.amazonaws.com/downloads.makerbot.com/makerware/MakerWare_Bundle_of_Awesome_2.4.1.24_x64.exe

Windows 7/8 x86
http://s3.amazonaws.com/downloads.makerbot.com/makerware/MakerWare_Bundle_of_Awesome_2.4.1.27_x86.exe

Windows 8.1 x64
http://s3.amazonaws.com/downloads.makerbot.com/makerware/MakerWare_Bundle_of_Awesome_2.4.1.62_x64_WIN81.exe

Windows 8.1 x86
http://s3.amazonaws.com/downloads.makerbot.com/makerware/MakerWare_Bundle_of_Awesome_2.4.1.43_x86_WIN81.exe

Ryan Carlyle

Aug 15, 2014, 10:25:46 PM8/15/14
to makerbo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dan!

Dan Newman

Aug 15, 2014, 10:26:46 PM8/15/14
to makerbo...@googlegroups.com

Robert Worne

Aug 16, 2014, 12:55:40 AM8/16/14
to makerbo...@googlegroups.com
Holy crap!  This sucks.

Makes me wonder how soon all support for the Rep 2 will disappear.  Perhaps I should have held off buying the Rep 2 last July.  I certainly would have (and looked elsewhere) if I knew then what I am seeing now.

Dan Newman

Aug 16, 2014, 1:17:49 AM8/16/14
to Robert Worne, makerbo...@googlegroups.com
As long as they're still selling the Rep 2X, I imagine Rep 2 support
will remain. And, they did continue to support the Thing-o-Matic
up until March 2014 and thus for approx. two years after they stopped
selling it. (Rep 1 was announced in Jan 2012; MBI didn't start shipping
for a couple of months.) Mind you, I don't expect any new firmware
from MBI for any of their "legacy" bots, including the Rep 2/2X. There's
a good couple of dozen known bugs in the Rep 1/2/2X firmware of varying
degrees of severity and I doubt MBI will fix any of them even though
the fixes are known and have been around, in some cases for more than
a year (e.g., files on SD cards being truncated thus leading to failed
prints after the first print succeeds).

Dan

Robert Gibson

May 16, 2016, 9:28:08 PM5/16/16