Monarchs gathering @ Ft Foster

Jerry Kelly

Sep 19, 2012, 1:14:33 PM9/19/12
to maine...@googlegroups.com
Today at noon, 500 ++ Monarchs were gathering at the S end of Kittery's Fort Foster. They appear to be unable/unwilling to cross the Piscataqua due to the strong S/SW winds. Perhaps there will be a large roost there tonight as there has been in the past or with a wind shift they may cross to Newcastle or Odiorne. Most are in the air, seemingly testing the winds - very Disneyesque.
Jerry Kelly
Portsmouth

Stella Walsh

Sep 19, 2012, 6:13:39 PM9/19/12
to Jerry Kelly, maine...@googlegroups.com
We had hundreds of Monarchs passing through Stratton Island last week...stringing up on the cherries at night and covering the goldenrod by day. At least a couple of Buckeyes also went through along with dragonflies.

Stella

Scott Richardson

Sep 19, 2012, 7:41:25 PM9/19/12
to Jerry Kelly, maine...@googlegroups.com
I stepped out for a bird walk at lunch in Wells and immediately changed my plans to a butterfly sit. I counted 90 monarchs passing by in just over an hour, pushing right into the brisk SW breeze. Rarely one would stop.

Birds? Quite a few tree swallows plus a couple of cliffs and a barn, two sharpies, and not much else.

Scott Richardson