CRESTED CARACARA - Unity, 8/26

Doug Hitchcox

Aug 26, 2014, 7:17:39 PM8/26/14
to Bird Alerts
I just got off the phone with Steve Muise who had just photographed a CRESTED CARACARA sitting on a telephone pole near Hawks Ridge Farms in Unity - near the intersection of Rt 139 and Reynolds Road. He did say the bird had flown off but they tend to show some site fidelity so I'd recommend looking in this area.

There is always the possibility of this being an escaped bird but with the increase of records in the northeast over the past few years (New Jersey and Nova Scotia come to mind), I think this has great potential to be a natural vagrant.

Good birding,

Doug Hitchcox

Sent from my iPhone

Smith, Michael

Aug 26, 2014, 7:25:41 PM8/26/14
to Doug Hitchcox, Bird Alerts
Rock and roll!

Michael Smith MS GISP
Maine Office of GIS
Sent from mobile device
And no I wasn't driving...
Aug 26, 2014, 10:46:55 PM8/26/14
to maine...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry I was starting to doze off, did you say CRESTED CARACARA in UNITY, MAINE?! Or am I just dreaming? Anybody in the Belfast area wanna go for it?

Cheers,
Fyn
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted