Monhegan, 5.23.15

Kristen Lindquist

May 23, 2015, 9:22:53 PM5/23/15
to Maine Birds
Back on the island for a few more days with my husband Paul. Got in a few good hours of birding this windy afternoon, managed to turn up some interesting birds, including:

13 species of warbler, including No. Waterthrush, Nashville, and Canada
Least Sandpiper - 1 in the Meadow (Jeremiah Trimble et al later saw 4 there, along with a Short-billed Dowitcher). This was a new island bird for me.
Yellow-crowned Night-heron - 1 continues in the Ice Pond, a state bird for Paul
White-crowned Sparrow - 2 at Donna Cundy's feeders
Sora - 1 persists in the Meadow, and by persists I mean, "calls incessantly"
Am. Woodcock - 1 displaying in the ballfield after sunset

Baltimore Oriole and Rose-breasted Grosbeak continue for the color parade, though not in quantities of last weekend. We dipped on the Scarlet Tanager(s) but several were observed today, male and female.

Good to see so many good birding friends today too!

Kristen

--
Kristen Lindquist
Camden, ME

"What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
--Mary Oliver

Jeff Wells

May 23, 2015, 9:57:02 PM5/23/15
to maine...@googlegroups.com

To add to the color parade today out here on Monhegan, a couple of brilliant Indigo Buntings, couple of Red-bellied Woodpeckers. On the monochromatic side, there are quite a few Blackpoll Warblers.

Ride out was kind of wild but we did enjoy some Harbor Porpose.

Jeff and Allison Wells