Hummingbirds

Charlotte Hewson

Aug 1, 2015, 8:00:54 AM8/1/15
to maine...@googlegroups.com
just watched two hummingbirds moving in and out of the garden hose spray. They would hover beside it, then gently move inside the spray, then back out. So cute. They looked small, babies maybe, testing the bath water?
Charlie
Cundys Harbor

Susan Guare

Aug 2, 2015, 6:48:39 AM8/2/15
to Charlotte Hewson, maine...@googlegroups.com
We raised a pair of baby robins, back in 1970 when it wasn't generally known that fledglings should be left to the care of their parents.  They would stand in the shower with us.

I wonder if your hummingbirds were hot?

RALPH ELDRIDGE

Aug 2, 2015, 8:17:36 AM8/2/15
to Maine birds
Lots of birds (and other animals) really enjoy bathing and "misting", even in cold weather but most especially when it's hot and dry.
I've had various species of birds fly into the spray from a garden hose, including Hummingbirds.
Many people have discovered that a water feature is often more popular than their feeders, especially where there is limited open natural water sources.

For anyone trying the garden hose method: set the stream to the finest droplets and either stand still and hold the nozzle steady or  better, fasten the nozzle so that the stream doesn't move around and hit the birds.
Let them chose how close they want to come.