Sandhill Crane, nighthawks, in Chelsea

Smith, Michael

Aug 21, 2014, 10:23:03 AM8/21/14
to maine...@googlegroups.com, Augusta Bird Club (augusta-birds@googlegroups.com)

This morning I found this fella in a field in Chelsea, a nice Sandhill Crane (crappy phone-pic attached).  This field is right next to route 27 on the east side, south of the Hallowell Rd.  This is where “Nettie’s Perennials” is located, a single greenhouse business with some nice flowers for sale.  I spoke with the “Nettie” and she said the crane has been been there since Monday, and is usually near the road in the morning, but moves back in the field as the day goes on.

And last night in about the same area were 5 Common Nighthawks.

===============================
Michael Smith MS GISP
State GIS Manager, Maine Office of GIS
State of Maine, Office of Information Technology
michael.smith _at_ maine.gov 207-215-5530

Board Member, Maine GeoLibrary
Education Chair, Maine GIS Users Group
State Rep, National States Geographic Information Council

State House Station 145
51 Commerce Drive
Augusta, ME 04333-0145
69o 47' 58.9"W  44o 21' 54.8"N

Smith, Michael

Aug 21, 2014, 10:41:16 AM8/21/14
to maine...@googlegroups.com, Augusta Bird Club (augusta-birds@googlegroups.com)

My mistake!  Being a geographer, you’d expect me to get that right, but that is route 9 that goes through Chelsea (on the east side of the river).  Thanks Linwood.

And the Hallowell Rd (correct name) is the road that becomes the “Ferry Rd” on the west side of route 9.  If you are wondering why a road in Chelsea is the “Hallowell Rd”, and the “Ferry Rd”, that is because in the old days, before the bridges, that was a ferry crossing.  So you took the road to Hallowell and crossed your horse/buggy on the ferry to Hallowell.