Augusta CBC Preliminary Summary

Hodgkins

Dec 20, 2015, 7:05:32 PM12/20/15
to maine...@googlegroups.com
Augusta CBC Preliminary Summary

Saturday, Dec 19 with 28 birders
With 98% of precincts reporting, we recorded 52 species and 5386 individual birds, both typical numbers for the last few years.

The most numerous species was Herring Gulls at 1379 birds (mostly at Hatch Hill landfill). Chickadees (675) beat out Crows (640) and Starlings (also 640) for the number two spot.

We had a new record count of Bald Eagles (31) since the first Augusta CBC in 1970. Robins (82) were the second highest recorded historically. We had our first Chipping Sparrows since 1976 and our first Barrow’s Goldeneye since 1989. Some relatively rare birds include a single Northern Shrike, Iceland Gull, and Glaucous Gull.

On the low side, there were almost no winter finches (6 Pine Siskins, 1 Purple Finch). The two Black Ducks recorded were tied for the lowest in our count circle history.

Bill Hancock

Dec 20, 2015, 11:33:29 PM12/20/15
to maine...@googlegroups.com

Greater Portland Area CBC Summary

The Greater Portland Area CBC took place Saturday, December 19 with 52 birders tallying 92 species, and another 4 so far found during the count period. The steady 20-mph breeze likely kept some species totals down somewhat, as no doubt did the continuing lack of inland snow and ice to push birds to the coast. Waterfowl totals were almost all less than half their previous highs, and Common Goldeneye set a new low with only 42 birds against its previous high of 564. Only Red-necked Grebe set a new waterbird record with 228 individuals, the bulk of which were seen in two large groups on Casco Bay. The only other species highs for the count were Peregrine Falcon with 3 and Eastern Bluebird with 99. As for notable sightings, the Ross's Goose obliged by being present and accounted for (and by its original finder no less!). Single Red-shouldered and Rough-legged Hawks brought the diurnal raptor species total to 8. Two Orange-crowned Warblers and a Lark Sparrow were the most unusual of small land birds found. Except for 3 Purple Finches, no "winter irruptives' were seen.

Bill Hancock

Gray