Very Productive Morning in the Rockland Bog

Richard Harris Podolsky

Jul 2, 2015, 1:29:19 PM7/2/15
to maine...@googlegroups.com, podo...@att.net
Awesome morning in the Rockland Bog.  Lots of birds feeding their young.  22 species total.  3 new species added to my list include: magnolia warbler, eastern wood pewee and great crested flycatcher (on the way out as usual...)   Of note was that all the birds marked by an * were seen together at one listening station!  A mega-diversity microsite!!!!

South Rockland Bog
9am-12pm
Light breeze
20% clouds
65°-73°

  1. Ovenbird*
  2. American Crow
  3. Black throated green warbler*
  4. Red-eyed vireo*
  5. Common grackle
  6. Hermit thrush*
  7. American Goldfinch
  8. Nashville warbler*
  9. White throated sparrow*
  10. Common yellowthroat*
  11. American robin
  12. Blue headed vireo
  13. Black throated blue Warbler*
  14. Eastern wood pewee*
  15. Chipping sparrow
  16. Black-and-white Warbler*
  17. Yellow rumped warbler
  18. Black-capped chickadee
  19. Pine warbler*
  20. Magnolia warbler*
  21. Red breasted nuthatch*
  22. Great crested flycatcher

Odd that there were no redstarts, woodpeckers, chestnut sides......There were a lot of Nashsville, magnolia and pine warblers on the trail though, which was lovely.

Birding by ear requires being very vigilant about detecting and tracking down each and every sound.  Don't be fooled again!!!  You must constantly be open to hearing something new.  When you are  you won't be disappointed!!  Which means you have to also be open to admitting you don't know something or that you may be wrong.  Leave your ego in the car!!!  But such fun and rewarding birding!

I am desperate to see/hear a Canada warbler.  Does anyone have one nailed down within an hour of Rockport???

Sally P

Jul 2, 2015, 10:30:43 PM7/2/15
to maine...@googlegroups.com
Try McCurdy Pond Road in Bremen for your Canada Warbler.

Richard Harris Podolsky

Jul 3, 2015, 8:37:38 AM7/3/15
to maine...@googlegroups.com
I will!! Thank you Sally P!! Mike Fahey says that the Hidden Valley Nature Center in Jeferson is "loaded" with Canadas. I'm going to head there too!

Richard Harris Podolsky

Jul 3, 2015, 9:05:10 AM7/3/15
to maine...@googlegroups.com
I should have written Fahay. My apologies.