large mixed flock

me Starr

Jan 24, 2015, 7:55:10 PM1/24/15
to Maine Birds
After admiring the Bohemian Waxings in Unity, reported yesterday by Tom A (thanks!), we encountered a large mixed flock of Cedar Waxwings, American Robins, and European Starlings along College Avenue in Waterville a little after 2:00 this afternoon. The snowflakes and birds were swirling by then and we had to move on, but I think it's safe to say there were at least a couple hundred each of waxwings and robins, with exponentially more starlings and possibly other blackbirds adding up to what seemed like thousands of birds.

Friday's highlight was a quartet of Pine Grosbeaks on the University of Maine campus in Orono.

Leslie Starr & Joe Turner
Baltimore

Abby

Jan 26, 2015, 9:03:16 AM1/26/15
to maine...@googlegroups.com
My office is on the third floor of a building on the Colby campus and at eye level with the crabapples (cherries?) that these birds are feeding on. The birds are here every day, though they are going to run out of fruit soon. I've been keeping an eye out - no bohemian waxwings here so far.