Re: [Maine-birds] Digest for maine-birds@googlegroups.com - 14 updates in 11 topics

Ernie

Sep 29, 2014, 5:39:01 PM9/29/14
to maine...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,
     Fieldfares in Rangely briefly,
Ernie

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 29, 2014, at 4:38 PM, maine...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Rob O'Connell <flash...@gmail.com>: Sep 29 11:19AM -0700

Sorry for the multitude of posts that I attempted to post. Apparently it
did not like me pasting graphics in the file. It kept telling me that it
was not submitted and to try again later. So I did a few minutes apart and
it kept saying it wasn't posting. Imagine my horror when I saw a slew of
jibberish... Trying again, this time trimming it down and trying it from a
different browser.

Anyway. I have a duck that I would like assistance identifying.
I spotted it at Lake Josephine around August 30th or so. I had not had as
much chance to dig through the photos so I am sorry I am getting to it so
late.

Unidentified Flying (Duck) Object
<http://flashart.smugmug.com/Birding/i-G6nGv4C/A>

I have checked all my guides and nothing seems to completely fit. I am not
very good with the age differences in duck plumages and also the seasonal
changes.
I also checked Duck Plumage Site
<http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/birds/duckplum/> as well as googled all
the usual cast of characters to see if I could spot a similar bird. I did
not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, and again, sorry for the mishap.
Louis Bevier <lrbe...@colby.edu>: Sep 29 03:50PM -0400

A relatively small list of ducks in the world have blue or blue-gray forewings. There are Blue-winged and Cinnamon Teals, Garganey, and four species of shovelers. Given only two species of those are likely on Lake Josephine, I think we’ve got a good chance at identifying this bird. You were at the right web site for help—Sam Carney’s duck identification by wing plumage is a classic. Take a look at this page showing the upper wings of the Blue-winged and Cinnamon Teals: http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/birds/duckplum/bwciteal.htm
Taking into account the small bill and gray face pattern, your bird fits Blue-winged Teal. Even when they are not at their fanciest, males of both Cinnamon and Blue-winged can be told by a prominent white bar behind the bluish forewing. So your bird is a female. The pattern of the body feathers with neat and entire fringes around all dark feathers (look at those bigger oval feathers to the rear of the wing on the hind flank) together with the wing pattern suggest it is an immature. So that’s my guess, immature female Blue-winged Teal.

Louis Bevier
Fairfield
Rob O'Connell <flash...@gmail.com>: Sep 29 01:34PM -0700

Thank you Louis. I had kind of narrowed it down to 3 of which that was the
leading contender although most of the underwing shots of the BWTE I have
seen do not show as dark of a stripe on the leading edge of the wing so I
was not sure if that was it or not.

It must have been more shadow that actual color on there.

Thanks again!

On Monday, September 29, 2014 3:50:55 PM UTC-4, Louis Bevier wrote:
Carl Small <trit...@yahoo.com>: Sep 29 02:56PM -0400

Off Butter and Eagle Island-Mid-Coast, Me.
150+ Common Eiders
30 White-wing Scoters
40 Surf Scoters
1 Common Tern
Skip Small
Rockport

Sent from my iPhone
Allison Wells <awe...@nrcm.org>: Sep 29 05:12PM

Thought I'd invite fellow birders to view some nice Barred Owl photos by Mainebirds' David Small, currently featured as NRCM's "My Maine This Week" feature:

http://www.nrcm.org/my-maine-this-week/my-maine-this-week-dave-small/

Jeff and I saw a Red-shouldered Hawk soar over Rummels Field in Waterville yesterday during Evan's soccer match. Also, we've noticed singing Pine Warblers in various places lately (one at said field, one in Winthrop, and a few other places). Interesting.

Allison Wells
Natural Resources Council of Maine
3 Wade Street
Augusta, ME 04330
(207) 430-0180
www.nrcm.org<http://www.nrcm.org>
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NRCMenvironment<http://www.facebook.com/NRCMenvironment>
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/NRCMenvironment
Jeff Normandin <jeff.no...@gmail.com>: Sep 29 10:07AM -0700

I was up in Bangor this past Thursday and saw a Peregrine Falcon circling
above the public library. I am not up that way often, so maybe it is a
resident or common visitor there, but I thought I'd share.

Jeff
Judith & Reid Scher <rsch...@yahoo.com>: Sep 29 10:02AM -0700

sorry for the confusion and kudso to the couple of people who were
able to translate my nonsense & get me the info!
Judy Scher
Kirk Betts <kette...@gmail.com>: Sep 29 12:09PM -0400

I spotted a couple of fieldfares with a flock o robins in Rangeley
during my lunch break. They were foraging in a field next to my house
but the flock seems to have have moved westward. I saw two, but there
might be more .
Hopefully someone else will spot them .

Kirk Betts
Rangeley,ME
Dennis Shepler <daw...@gmail.com>: Sep 28 03:31PM -0700

Thanks, Louis. Excellent description with pertinent photos.

On Sunday, September 28, 2014 3:50:57 PM UTC-4, Louis Bevier wrote:
Don Lima <winkumpaug...@gmail.com>: Sep 28 06:01PM -0400

Green wing teal.

Sent from my iPad

Nancy <nkath...@gmail.com>: Sep 28 05:44PM -0700

The bluebirds that were here all winter and played at nesting in one of our
boxes thru spring have returned. We are watching them build up a nest
again and defend the box against any other birds.

Also, no hummers in over a week, so the feeder came down this weekend. :-(
Judith & Reid Scher <rsch...@yahoo.com>: Sep 28 05:38PM -0700

Does anyone have the dates that this bird was sighted last May?
Thanks for the help.
Judy Scher
"Marie" <mij...@maine.rr.com>: Sep 28 07:49PM -0400

I am going to be in that area next Saturday afternoon and
Sunday morning - I should have time to check out a couple birding spots
while I am there. I would like to get a couple suggestions on where I might
bird from someone familiar with birding the islands at this time of the
year.

Please respond off line. Thanks.

Marie Jordan

South Portland
Kristen Lindquist <kelin...@gmail.com>: Sep 28 06:55PM -0400

YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD continues on the island, seen most frequently in
the morning in the vicinity of the Meadow.

New birds today include BLUE GROSBEAK and Pine Warbler, both found with
Derek's group.

Continuing daily: 1 immature male Dickcissel and 1 Lark Sparrow.
White-crowned Sparrows showed up on Friday.

Other reported birds include: Connecticut Warbler and Clay-colored Sparrow.

Other highlights we enjoyed today were the continuing Eastern Wood-Pewee at
Monhegan Brewing Co. (as were we...), falcon show with several Peregrines
and Merlins, and a (modern day) plethora of Monarchs. 16 species of
warblers for the day also included Cape May and Tennessee.

We'll see what tomorrow brings us, for my last day here...

Kristen

--
Kristen Lindquist
12 Mount Battie St.

"What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
--Mary Oliver