They're back - 83 Whimbrel at Flat Bay

Merle and Anne Archie

Aug 1, 2015, 7:21:17 PM8/1/15
to Maine birds, Merle and Anne
The count for this evening's low tide was 83.  The Whimbrel were all in a nice, close flock at their usual place but were spooked when the lobster boats returned to harbor at Mill Creek/Oak Point.  They all flew further down the bay.   I shifted location and found 50 of them scattered along the tidal waterline south of Mill Creek in Flat Bay.

Anne Archie
Harrington, ME

Tammy Packie

Aug 2, 2015, 9:47:10 AM8/2/15
to Merle and Anne Archie, Maine birds, Merle and Anne
Thanks to the Archies Rob & I were able to see 50 whimbrel, about 20 Black bellied plovers, 16 short billed dowitchers, a flock of unidentified peeps, and 2 possible semi palmated sandpipers. Wonderful afternoon Downeast!