Disappearance of gray squirrels

Sean Smith

Jul 28, 2016, 11:41:02 AM7/28/16
to Maine Birding List
Slightly off topic but related, to anyone who’s had to deal with their ingenuity at feeder-busting:   since the heavy torrential rain we had a couple weeks ago I’m seeing only one gray squirrel (a subadult)  in a one mile vicinity of my home where prior to the rainstorm they were everywhere.   It looks like the population is down by 95-98% and it seems to have happened overnight.   Anyone else notice any similar drops in gray squirrel numbers?

Sean Smith
Bangor

Sean Hatch

Jul 28, 2016, 12:50:11 PM7/28/16
to Maine birds
I also have noticed a massive drop off. But I should also mention I've been using a havaheart trap and have relocated 5 Grey's 4 Reds and 7 chipmonks. Soooo nice to have my birds back!!

Sean Smith

Jul 28, 2016, 1:25:32 PM7/28/16
to Maine Birding List

Jul 28, 2016, 3:10:20 PM7/28/16
to Sean Smith, Maine Birding List
I have fewer right now but something finished off my suet in the night, and it wasn't a bear.  It could have been a raccoon; the cat was going nuts.