How to queue messages with diffrent bounce time

Robert Socha

Aug 5, 2009, 2:25:56 PM8/5/09

My problem is... :)

I would like that the selected messages injected by specified interface
remain in the queue for no longer than 2 hours. I used this
configuration (master.cf), but it seems that it is not working as I want:

bulk.example.pl: smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
-o maximal_queue_lifetime=2h

In main.cf file queue lifetime is set to much longer period. (2 days)

My question: Is it possible to queue a message with diffrent time for
the bounce?

Greetings :)
--
rjs
English is not my native language.

Noel Jones

Aug 5, 2009, 2:51:57 PM8/5/09
Robert Socha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My problem is... :)
>
> I would like that the selected messages injected by specified interface
> remain in the queue for no longer than 2 hours. I used this
> configuration (master.cf), but it seems that it is not working as I want:
>
> bulk.example.pl: smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
> -o maximal_queue_lifetime=2h
>
> In main.cf file queue lifetime is set to much longer period. (2 days)
>

> My question: Is it possible to queue a message with diffrent time for
> the bounce?
>
> Greetings :)

The max queue lifetime is a global parameter. If you need
different queue lifetimes, use separate instances of postfix.
All postfix versions support multiple instances, but is
greatly simplified in postfix 2.6 and newer.

-- Noel Jones

Sahil Tandon

Aug 5, 2009, 3:05:43 PM8/5/09
On Aug 5, 2009, at 2:25 PM, Robert Socha <so...@eur.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My problem is... :)
>
> I would like that the selected messages injected by specified
> interface remain in the queue for no longer than 2 hours. I used
> this configuration (master.cf), but it seems that it is not working
> as I want:
>
> bulk.example.pl: smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
> -o maximal_queue_lifetime=2h

This does nothing. See qmgr(8), which is what cares about this
particular parameter; so specifying it as above for smtpd(8) is
probably harmless but not very useful.

Use a different instance as suggested by Noel.

> In main.cf file queue lifetime is set to much longer period. (2 days)
>

> My question: Is it possible to queue a message with diffrent time
> for the bounce?
>
> Greetings :)

Wietse Venema

Aug 5, 2009, 3:07:29 PM8/5/09
Robert Socha:

> Hi,
>
> My problem is... :)
>
> I would like that the selected messages injected by specified interface
> remain in the queue for no longer than 2 hours. I used this
> configuration (master.cf), but it seems that it is not working as I want:
>
> bulk.example.pl: smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
> -o maximal_queue_lifetime=2h

The smtpd(8) documentation does not promise that maximal_queue_lifetime
can be set in this manner.

The postconf(5) also makes no promise about which part of Postfix
implements this feature. Therefore it is not safe to set the
parameter in master.cf.

If you want a configuration that is supported you need to use multiple
Postfix instances. http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html.

Wietse

/dev/rob0

Aug 5, 2009, 3:54:19 PM8/5/09
On Wednesday 05 August 2009 13:25:32 Robert Socha wrote:
> My question: Is it possible to queue a message with diffrent time for
> the bounce?

What is the real-world problem you're trying to solve? I smell
backscatter here ... and this approach would not help.