Internationlization Support for API

bgetting

May 1, 2012, 3:59:39 PM5/1/12
to mailchimp-...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious about any efforts underway to add international support in the Mailchimp API. Some of the issues that I would like to see addressed are:

  1. Ability to set currency when submitting orders via the API.
  2. Better address support. (docs suggest that foreign postal codes cause addresses to be rejected)
  3. Phone number support. (the API takes international phone numbers just fine, but displays them goofy in the UI)
Odds are this stuff is already there, but I haven't found it in the API docs yet. Any suggestions would be great.

jesse

May 2, 2012, 5:28:59 AM5/2/12
to mailchimp-...@googlegroups.com
1) I assume you are talking about ecommOrderAddr() and campaignEcommOrderAdd()? If so, there are no plans, but maybe.
2) This is not specific to the API.
3) This is not specific to the API. If the display is odd it's because you are sticking international numbers into phone type fields set to display as US

jesse

Brian Getting

May 4, 2012, 4:17:44 PM5/4/12
to mailchimp-...@googlegroups.com
> 1) I assume you are talking about ecommOrderAddr() and campaignEcommOrderAdd()? If so, there are no plans, but maybe.

That's correct. If there is a features wish list somewhere, it would be great if this was on it.

> 2) This is not specific to the API.

What is your advice or the best practice for handling foreign addresses via the API? Is it better to not deal with them?

> 3) This is not specific to the API. If the display is odd it's because you are sticking international numbers into phone type fields set to display as US

According to the API docs, if we submit something that is not in the format 111-222-3333 then it will assume an international address. Is there anything that I need to know about these?

Thanks for your help.

jesse

May 7, 2012, 5:24:15 AM5/7/12
to mailchimp-...@googlegroups.com

> 1) I assume you are talking about ecommOrderAddr() and campaignEcommOrderAdd()? If so, there are no plans, but maybe.

That's correct. If there is a features wish list somewhere, it would be great if this was on it.
> 2) This is not specific to the API.

What is your advice or the best practice for handling foreign addresses via the API? Is it better to not deal with them?

Since this is not API-specific, the same way you are satisfied saving them in the web app.

> 3) This is not specific to the API. If the display is odd it's because you are sticking international numbers into phone type fields set to display as US

According to the API docs, if we submit something that is not in the format 111-222-3333 then it will assume an international address. Is there anything that I need to know about these?

Still not API related, but "phone" type merge vars have field types - set that appropriately.

jesse