Network Visualiser - New version rollout

Viv Rajkumar

Jul 18, 2014, 12:38:18 PM7/18/14
to maidsafe-d...@googlegroups.com, Developers
So I'll kick start this thread.

Current Plan:
  • Fraser to update the c++ side of vaults to be able to report session id with VLOG
  • Ross to then validate the testnet deploy process with a small subset of vaults and report to http://visualiser.maidsafe.net:9080 (note the 9080) which is the next branch for visualiser.
  • Viv to merge the changes to master for Visualiser. This will require a wipe of current data on the db.
  • Ross to start deploying testnet to live address http://visualiser.maidsafe.net:8080
  • Viv to update the info for new features that go live on the tool.

This pretty much needs to happen one after the other, so if everyone involved could reply when your part is done, will be of great help.

--
Regards

Viv

MaidSafe.net Limited
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MaidSafe.net Limited is a limited liability company incorporated in Scotland with number SC297540. VAT Registered 889 0608 77. Registered Office: 72 Templehill, Troon, KA10 6BE.
Telephone Scotland: +44 1292 317311.

Fraser Hutchison

Jul 18, 2014, 11:40:10 PM7/18/14
to Viv Rajkumar, maidsafe-d...@googlegroups.com, Developers
Hi guys,

I think we're nearly there with the first bullet point.  I've built and trivially tested on Windows in Debug and Release, each with USE_VLOGGING defined and again with it undefined.

I'm going to leave the changes in the 'vlog_session_id' branches (Common, Vault and VaultManager) until at least I've run the tests on OS X.  I'll get that tomorrow, but in the meantime we're probably good to move to bullet point 2.

Cheers,
Fraser.

Viv Rajkumar

Jul 19, 2014, 4:50:49 AM7/19/14
to Fraser Hutchison, maidsafe-d...@googlegroups.com, Developers
Cheers Fraser, 4:30AM your mental btw :P

I assume on a branch CI aint gonna pick this up, so if any of the Linux guys could run the tests and update this thread for the tests Fraser mentioned, we can check linux off the list too.

Ross Muir

Jul 19, 2014, 5:26:04 AM7/19/14
to Viv Rajkumar, Fraser Hutchison, maidsafe-d...@googlegroups.com, Developers
Morning Guys,

I shall start bullet point 2 using the 'vlog_session_id' branches on Common, Vault and VaultManager. This laptop is running Ubuntu but might start crying if I started the Vault tests ;-) - once I have completed step 2 and if no-one else has picked it up I shall kick them off and wait....

Cheers
Ross

maidsafe.net Limited is a limited liability company incorporated in Scotland with number SC297540. VAT Registered 889 0608 77. Registered Office: 72 Templehill, Troon, KA10 6BE.
Telephone Scotland: +44
1292 317311

Ross Muir

Jul 19, 2014, 9:49:52 AM7/19/14
to Viv Rajkumar, Fraser Hutchison, maidsafe-d...@googlegroups.com, Developers
Viv,

Bullet point 2 is now complete so back over to you :-) - The rollout and joining process has been tested and behaving as expected and looking good in the 9080 Visualiser. CI has has also built and tested Fraser's push to NEXT successfully across all major platforms.

If there are no objections I am going to go ahead and destroy the existing testnet in order prepare to redeploy after your merge?

Cheers
Ross

maidsafe.net Limited is a limited liability company incorporated in Scotland with number SC297540. VAT Registered 889 0608 77. Registered Office: 72 Templehill, Troon, KA10 6BE.
Telephone Scotland: +44
1292 317311

Viv Rajkumar

Jul 19, 2014, 9:50:46 AM7/19/14
to Ross Muir, Fraser Hutchison, maidsafe-d...@googlegroups.com, Developers
Yeh am about to take down the site right now. So you can kill the nodes. Will let you know once I've updated everything

Chandra Prakash

Jul 19, 2014, 9:56:08 AM7/19/14
to Ross Muir, Viv Rajkumar, Fraser Hutchison, maidsafe-d...@googlegroups.com, Developers
On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Ross Muir <ross...@maidsafe.net> wrote:
Viv,

Bullet point 2 is now complete so back over to you :-) - The rollout and joining process has been tested and behaving as expected and looking good in the 9080 Visualiser. CI has has also built and tested Fraser's push to NEXT successfully across all major platforms.

If there are no objections I am going to go ahead and destroy the existing testnet in order prepare to redeploy after your merge?
You can go ahead and destroy the current testnet. Thanks Ross!

--
Best Regards,
Prakash

IMPORTANT: The information in this e-mail is confidential between the sender and the addressee, may be legally privileged and should not be communicated in any way to any person other than the addressee. If you are not the individual or organisation to whom this e-mail is addressed, please inform the sender immediately.

MaidSafe.net Ltd does not accept any liability for any harm that may be caused to the recipient's system or data by this message or attachment. Unless expressly stated otherwise within the text of this email, this email does not create, form part of, or vary, any contractual obligations.

MaidSafe.net Ltd is a limited liability company incorporated in Scotland with number SC297540. Registered Office: 72 Templehill, Troon, Ayrshire, KA10 6BE. Tel: +44 (0) 1292 750020   VAT Registered 889 0608 77.

Viv Rajkumar

Jul 19, 2014, 10:21:27 AM7/19/14
to Chandra Prakash, Ross Muir, Fraser Hutchison, maidsafe-d...@googlegroups.com, Developers
and that's me done. http://visualiser.maidsafe.net:8080 is now updated.

So in the live version of the tool, We've addressed a few issues such as:

  • Not removing nodes that are offline from being visible when the page refreshes
  • Tooltip's have a built in delay to not become visible too soon.
  • Vaults are monitored from a much early point in their lifecycle
  • Ability to send a host_name with a vault started message(to merely identify testnet node location to retrieve further logs if needed)
  • Timeline monitors the start and end time for the network to give a better representation of the slider's max and min points
  • Various other minor tweaks in the backend

Finally the addition of "Sessions"

Sessions allow multiple networks to be monitored by the tool in parallel. Actions within a session are completely independent, so there is no cross-communication between sessions. Each VLOG message now also sends a session_id to identify the session the vault belongs to. Invalid session id's will get a error response from the server.

To allow community users to setup and run their own test network's we've also extended the OAuth functionality which existed before slightly. If you wish to create testnet's and have the Visualiser monitor it for you, then either post your email id you want added to this thread or send it in an email to me if you do not want to post your mail address. We'll get it added to the whitelist and you should then be able to create and import sessions on the site(I'll let you know once I've added you to the whitelist. This is a manual process and can take some time. So don't be alarmed if it takes a few hours).

Each session comes with a Name and Id. Id is what you use with the vaults to report to the server. Anyone with the id can report to that session. So be sure about who you share that with. Name is just a unique name you can choose when you create a session. Whitelisted user's can still only delete their own sessions, So you don't have to worry about someone else deleting your data. Few more feature's are still in the works such as the ability to search across a session and performance updates of the tool on firefox mainly but also chrome with large networks. You guys will hear all about them when they do go live.

Ross Muir

Jul 19, 2014, 1:19:23 PM7/19/14
to Viv Rajkumar, Chandra Prakash, Fraser Hutchison, maidsafe-d...@googlegroups.com, Developers
Testnet 1 is now coming back up > http://visualiser.maidsafe.net:8080
I shall monitor the progress but it is looking good thus far :-)

Cheers
Ross

maidsafe.net Limited is a limited liability company incorporated in Scotland with number SC297540. VAT Registered 889 0608 77. Registered Office: 72 Templehill, Troon, KA10 6BE.
Telephone Scotland: +44
1292 317311

Ross Muir

Jul 19, 2014, 2:47:29 PM7/19/14
to Viv Rajkumar, Chandra Prakash, Fraser Hutchison, maidsafe-d...@googlegroups.com, Developers
The Testnet is up - All nodes have been started.