Looking for a new way to improve magic fields.

David Valdez

Jan 25, 2011, 2:18:35 AM1/25/11
to magic-...@googlegroups.com
recently we were reading about below topics and we would like to know your  opinions about this:

The truth is to we love develop magic fields  and we don't have enough time for do it, after to many discussions about this topic we concluded to we need found a way to sponsor the development of the plugin, we need found a way where we can spent a lot of time making this plugin and in the same time you don't need to pay a bunch of money for use it or for get a good support.

So, what is your opinion?  do you have a  suggestion where all  can win with this?

Just for finish, anything is official for now, we  are just  looking for your opinion.

JHouse

Jan 25, 2011, 7:01:33 PM1/25/11
to Magic Fields
Since Magic Fields is now one of the main plugins I use to make money,
I think it's only fair that I share. Plus, I think you guys really
deserve it...not only for a great plugin, but also for the support. I
might have some ideas where everybody could benefit, however, I'd like
to share it in private. What's the best way to contact you?

David Valdez

Jan 25, 2011, 7:18:17 PM1/25/11
to magic-...@googlegroups.com
I just sent a email to you.
--
David.

Andy Krier

Jan 26, 2011, 12:29:51 AM1/26/11
to Magic Fields
I would pay for this plug in on a yearly basis, or per update. I would
also like to contribute to the code base. I think that adding front
end forms based on write panels would be really valuable. I also think
it would be great to bring in custom post types and taxonomies.

On another note, everyone on this forum should help answer questions
if they know the answer. That's what a forum is all about.

Keep up the good work.

On Jan 24, 11:18 pm, David Valdez <m...@gnuget.org> wrote:
> recently we were reading about below topics and we would like to know your
>  opinions about this:
>
> http://wpmu.org/hey-wordpress-stop-treating-commercial-plugin-develop...http://jeffsayre.com/2010/01/02/how-can-buddypress-developers-earn-a-...

Chief Voodoo

Feb 7, 2011, 5:09:54 PM2/7/11
to magic-...@googlegroups.com
I would pay for this as well.  The issue is I cannot get it to attach custom write panels to specific post types.  If this becomes possible this becomes the best plugin ever.

relish27

Feb 8, 2011, 11:33:29 AM2/8/11
to Magic Fields
I would pay for this plugin as well. One model that Gravity Forms has
used is that you can pay for individual use -- or an unlimited
developer use (for a higher cost).

The value that MF brings to my business is worth it.

Shaun

Feb 11, 2011, 3:20:40 AM2/11/11
to Magic Fields
I too would pay a yearly fee for use of the plugin (one fee for
unlimited websites?). I have a feature/bug that I need fixing to make
this plugin the best (I wrote about it here:
http://groups.google.com/group/magic-fields/browse_thread/thread/5861f4041e7534ac/0527800208d0e3ed?lnk=gst&q=loading+40#0527800208d0e3ed
) and also would love custom post types to be supported, so if paying
is the only way to get those features then go for it.

Just please see my request it is urgent!
http://groups.google.com/group/magic-fields/browse_thread/thread/5861f4041e7534ac/0527800208d0e3ed?lnk=gst&q=loading+40#0527800208d0e3ed

Mike C

Feb 19, 2011, 4:48:27 AM2/19/11
to magic-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

This plug-in is magic, and I will donate !
May a commercial version can be good to raise found too?

I have started a FR translate of your plug-in.
Just a couple of line to finish it.

Mad

Sébastien

Feb 19, 2011, 5:47:04 AM2/19/11
to magic-...@googlegroups.com
une version française, bonne idée !

Tobias May

Feb 21, 2011, 11:29:53 AM2/21/11
to magic-...@googlegroups.com
i do like this plugin and would pay aswell like i do for gravityforms - but - there's still some major bugs that need to be cleaned up first.
the two things that annoy me most are

1) none stable version of image upload and handeling

2) disappearing menus

3) lack of how-to's in proper english

-t

David Calhoun

Feb 28, 2011, 8:36:18 AM2/28/11
to Magic Fields
I agree with @relish27. Gravity Forms is a prime example of how this
system can flourish. They've built a solid plugin, built with clean
code and provide great customer support. That makes it worth my money
to purchase the developer license and use it on as many sites as I'd
like. Their multi-tier purchasing plan works well. Check out their
sales system and customer support.

I would definitely pay for Magic Fields. Magic Fields is, and has been
for awhile, one of my favorite plugins. You guys have done a great job
thus far. If you continue to clean up the code, add functionality
regularly and provide the same support you have thus far... I
definitely think you could be successful with a paid plugin.

On Jan 25, 1:18 am, David Valdez <m...@gnuget.org> wrote:
> recently we were reading about below topics and we would like to know your
>  opinions about this:
>
> http://wpmu.org/hey-wordpress-stop-treating-commercial-plugin-develop...http://jeffsayre.com/2010/01/02/how-can-buddypress-developers-earn-a-...

ninjunk

Mar 8, 2011, 6:23:58 PM3/8/11
to Magic Fields
You should charge. Many of us can't afford to loose your support and
development efforts. I recommend a developer license, and then a less
expensive single use license.

On Jan 25, 12:18 am, David Valdez <m...@gnuget.org> wrote:
> recently we were reading about below topics and we would like to know your
>  opinions about this:
>
> http://wpmu.org/hey-wordpress-stop-treating-commercial-plugin-develop...http://jeffsayre.com/2010/01/02/how-can-buddypress-developers-earn-a-...

David Valdez

Mar 9, 2011, 1:54:08 AM3/9/11
to magic-...@googlegroups.com
We are working really hard in a plan where everybody win.

I'm going to explain a little more our idea about this.

First of all, Magic Fields 1.X will be continue Open source and free, but in this branch don't will have new features only bugfixes.

And we will create  a membership for magic fields.

And the membership will be have this features:

 - Magic Fields 2.0 this new version  was completely rewritten using the new features of wordpress 3.X (yeah, this version of magic fields don't will have backward compatibility), This new version  have a native support of Post Types, Custom Taxonomies.

- Priority Support. (special forum for a members)

- An very complete  documentation, with examples, screencasts and  in a well written  english

- Updates and new features.

The membership will not be expensive we only want have a support  for continue with the development in a interrupted way.  Maybe could be more cheaper in a anual suscription or something like that, on this kind of  details we are still working

Oks what do you think? any suggestion for improve the memberships?  or something  to do you like to have as member?  any kind of thoughts or feedback is welcome
--
David.

Lori

Mar 10, 2011, 12:23:48 PM3/10/11
to Magic Fields
Yes, I like this. You have an excellent plug-in. And it is fair to you
to get compensation for your work. I would join. I like the idea of
annual membership. Don't give too many options for joining, that can
become a pain and then cause confusion (what? why aren't you helping
me? what do you mean I didn't pay -- I already did!) And with all the
WP upgrades, anyone who installs Magic Fields needs to keep up with
Magic Fields on a regular basis: It's not a one-time deal.

> >http://wpmu.org/hey-wordpress-stop-treating-commercial-plugin-develop....
> > ..

Lori

Mar 10, 2011, 12:22:01 PM3/10/11
to Magic Fields
Yes, I like this. You have an excellent plug-in. And it is fair to you
to get compensation for your work. I would join. I like the idea of
annual membership. Don't give too many options for joining, that can
become a pain and then cause confusion (what? why aren't you helping
me? what do you mean I didn't pay -- I already did!) And with all the
WP upgrades, anyone who installs Magic Fields needs to keep up with
Magic Fields on a regular basis: It's not a one-time deal.

> >http://wpmu.org/hey-wordpress-stop-treating-commercial-plugin-develop....
> > ..

autumnmist

Mar 15, 2011, 11:16:14 AM3/15/11
to Magic Fields
Would this be a per-site payment or per-developer payment (so that the
developer could use it on multiple sites)?

I'm new to Wordpress and just tried out Magic Fields, since it seemed
perfect for my purposes (using WP as a CMS rather than a blogging
platform). I'm making a website as a favor to someone, but there is
0% I'd ever convince them to pay for MF since before me they didn't
even have (or feel a particularly strong need to have) a website.

If there was a small-time developer fee that allowed me to use MF in
my little hobby projects, I'd probably pay it with the expectation of
support and regular upgrades. But considering I don't make money off
my little projects, I probably couldn't pay much. On the other hand,
I think people who are making a living off designing business/
corporate sites that have 1000s of MF posts/pages probably should/
could pay.

David Calhoun

Mar 19, 2011, 8:32:08 PM3/19/11
to Magic Fields
I don't know if I like the idea of a subscription based model. You are
creating a product in my mind, not a service. Am I going to have to
continue a subscription in order to use Magic Fields on older sites?
What if I cancel my subscription?
> >http://wpmu.org/hey-wordpress-stop-treating-commercial-plugin-develop....
> > ..

David Valdez

Mar 20, 2011, 1:34:37 AM3/20/11
to magic-...@googlegroups.com
No, the subscription is only for new releases and support.

So, if you are a subscriptor for a month you can get the last version of magicfields and you will have support that month, if you cancel your subscription your  sites will continue working without problem, but any new release/feature in MF will be only avalaible for subscriptors.

Anyway, for now anything is sure, we are thinking in the most fair deal for the users of Magic Fields and for us.
--
David.

David Calhoun

Mar 22, 2011, 8:37:18 AM3/22/11
to Magic Fields
David,

Here is another helpful link. Jigowatt is currently developing a
WordPress plugin for a eCommerce. They are trying to decide on how to
charge for their product as well.

This link is one of the founder's of GravityForms discussing their
pricing model and why they charge the way they do. Check it out!

http://jigowatt.co.uk/blog/jigoshop-to-free-or-not-to-free/#comment-758

Carlos Giles

Mar 22, 2011, 1:40:27 PM3/22/11
to Magic Fields
Hello David,

I'm from Mexico and I'm really glad that such a great plugin exists
and is developed and mantain by mexicans, I think that the best way
to monetize your work is to have a free version and a payed version,
each of the will have their own features.

Free version will include a (powered by tag) and few options community
support (support given by other users).

Payed version will include a powered by removal, more advanced
options, and premium support (given by developers).

With this you can grow the community that is using your plugin, which
can be ready to pay for a premium version.

Since, the spirit of the wordpress comunity is to give a product for
free why don't apply small fee's for example U$10 for a single use and
$50 for developers.

I hope this can help.

Regards, from Puebla

On 25 ene, 01:18, David Valdez <m...@gnuget.org> wrote:
> recently we were reading about below topics and we would like to know your
>  opinions about this:
>
> http://wpmu.org/hey-wordpress-stop-treating-commercial-plugin-develop...http://jeffsayre.com/2010/01/02/how-can-buddypress-developers-earn-a-...

David Valdez

Mar 23, 2011, 2:42:25 AM3/23/11
to magic-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the link David, was very instructive.

Carlos.

Gracias por tus observaciones, y tu sugerencia en el precio, estamos tomando todas las opiniones en cuenta (incluso el numero de personas que están dispuestas a ayudarnos a dedicarnos a esto tiempo completo dando sus opiniones en este thread).

Ya estamos muy cerca de dar el salto :)  la versión 2 de MF ya tiene un avance significativo.

Saludos.

--
David.

Lefteris Theodossiadis

Mar 23, 2011, 6:28:41 AM3/23/11
to magic-...@googlegroups.com, David Valdez
Recently there is an ever growing trend for plugin developers to turn their plugins to commercial versions. If this will go on soon there will be no free plugins for WP. Of course everybody likes some extra cash but I see a lot of unethical behaviour in the community lately. The most greedy like icanlocalize (WPML plugin) have no problem to force their user base to upgrade to a commercial version of their plugin. I said user base because this is the keyword here. Nobody would knew of your existence if their was no WP. So it while it is perfectly understandable that you may have reasons to stop developing this plugin, there is no excuse to turn it into a commercial endeavour.

Now, my suggestion to WordPress and Matt Mullenweg in pasrticular is to ask a fee for every commercial plugin sold for WP or to ask the purchase of a special, commercial license for WP in order to install and use a commercial plugin.

Lefteris

David Valdez

Mar 23, 2011, 3:08:03 PM3/23/11
to magic-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lefteris.

First of all, i think to is a little dramatic say to soon will not be more free plugins.

I can't tell anything about about WPML because i don't know  nothing about that plugin.

But i can talk about magicfields.  Magic Fields required a lot of time, effort, support, for work fine

I don't understand how you think to there is no reasons for turn the plugins developments into commercial endeavour.

i think to is more unethical use wordpress, a bunch of plugins, for make sites for your clients and don't back anything to the community.

i don't know how works this for Matt and for wordpress in self but in the case of a tiny community around of a plugin the most part of the users don't help to the plugin for be better.  And i'm not talking  about money, i'm talking about any kind of support, translations, patches, support between users.  currently we have almost 30,000 downloads and i'm sure to  the less than 5% of the users helped to improve magic fields in a some way.

If we could working in magic fields only in our spare time and the rest of the time the users  could  help each other and improve the plugin in a constant way, this would be a completely different picture.

but the reality is to we need working the entire day in a job for pay our debts and after that, work in the nights in the plugin for don't stop the development . i think to this is not fair.

But, ok, we don't want make a "extra cash" with this plugin, we are looking for a way for have more time for improve it  and unfortunately the only way to do it is start to take time from our jobs (this means to we will not get enough money for pay our debts), for that we are asking here if the users are willing to help us to compensate this lack of income.

We have a ton of ideas for magic fields, we just need the time for do it (for example, the post types support is a feature pretty requested) and is a little frustrating don't have the resources for make it .

If you have a suggestion about how we can have enought time for improve the plugin and don't sacrifice our social live, just let us know
--
David.

Karl Kevilus

Mar 23, 2011, 3:14:17 PM3/23/11
to magic-...@googlegroups.com, David Valdez
Currently I'm not using Magic-Fields, using WP 2.7.2 w/ Flutter/Fresh-Page because it works and upgrading anything messing with everything!

I'd be very interested in paying for a service that I knew was going to keep up with the Wordpress changes!  Having designed some plugins myself I can appreciate the difficulty in keeping everyone happy with their specific needs and keeping up with the changes.

Thank you!
Karl

Andy Krier

Apr 1, 2011, 11:19:16 AM4/1/11
to magic-...@googlegroups.com
Have you guys thought about working with Automatic to get some of your code in the core? I can't help but think that there will be a front end interface for custom post types and fields coming soon. I would hate to see MF no longer be supported because I used it in almost every site I make.

Jason

Apr 2, 2011, 1:15:12 PM4/2/11
to Magic Fields
> free plugins for WP. Of course everybody likes some extra cash but I see a
> lot of unethical behaviour in the community lately.

As WordPress has matured its used in plenty of mission critical
websites - it's not just hobby blogs built for a bit of fun any more
but commercial enterprises and so the level of development and SUPPORT
plugin developers want is much much higher than can be offered for
anything free.

Plus plenty of plugins that cost money offer free versions with no
support or limited features etc -as David is suggesting will happen-
so they're are still supoorting the comminuty whilst also trying to
get paid for their time and support their families (or is the on-line
community the only community that counts?)!

> The most greedy like
> icanlocalize (WPML plugin) have no problem to force their user base to
> upgrade to a commercial version of their plugin. I said *user base* because
> this is the keyword here. Nobody would knew of your existence if their was
> no WP. So it while it is perfectly understandable that you may have reasons
> to stop developing this plugin, there is no excuse to turn it into a
> commercial endeavour.

WordPress.com is a commercial venture built off the back of the work
done by the WordPress community - how is that any different?

As a developer I've paid for WPML on a few clients websites as I would
rather have a stable, web supported plugin than worry about
disapearing plugin developers and plugins that are never updated past
a few versions which happens with 95% of free plugins over time.

I've used MagicFields on a lot of websites where it just made clients
lives so much easier to add content over what standard WP offers. I
would have LOVED the option to pay for a better supported version to
speed up my development time and take away the worry of not getting an
answer is any issues that might pop up!

So: David +1 to your paying model, the quicker you offer MF2 with
CustomPosts supported and a little better documentation (! :) ) the
better! Do you have any time-line for this at present?

Seth

Apr 10, 2011, 7:26:02 PM4/10/11
to Magic Fields
I would definitely pay for a version of magic fields that works with
custom post types. However, if there wasn't some way to transfer my
content from the current version to the new version it's going to be a
pain in my neck to transfer everything manually.

Thanks for the great plugin, keep up the good work!
> >http://wpmu.org/hey-wordpress-stop-treating-commercial-plugin-develop....
> > ..

EivindFS

Apr 14, 2011, 5:10:58 AM4/14/11
to Magic Fields
Damn Google Groups has such a confusing interface. I try again

----

Yes, make Magic Fields a commercial premium plugin. I've waited for
this a long time - I know that the only reason Magic Fields has bugs
and is unstable is that you don't have enough time to work on it. And
yet, it is awesome.

It's about time to become serious so that those of us who use the
plugin for commercial jobs can sleep at night knowing that we're
offering rock solid technology with great support. That's the reason
we switched from cForms to Gravity Forms.

And it is very important that we can upgrade current MF sites to the
new premium plugin architecture. I would pay extra for that.

I think a price model equivalent to the one Gravity Forms uses is
reasonable.

http://www.gravityforms.com/purchase-gravity-forms/

Eivind

Huroman

May 23, 2011, 6:28:28 AM5/23/11
to magic-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, if MF becomes premium, i'll be agree, it's awesome by the way. Actually, if you're mexicans, it's enough for me (i'm mexican living in Toulouse, Fr).

Your script, guys, has been really useful to me since 1 year ago.

Un saludo y si requieren quién les diseño un logo o una interfaz, me dicen.

Huroman

Tyler

May 27, 2011, 4:37:33 PM5/27/11
to Magic Fields
MF is the corner stone to all the websites I work on. If not for this
plugin I would simply not use Wordpress as a CSM. The control and ease
of use this plugin allows for general users with amazing flexibility
from a developer stand point is amazing. I am not sure if you have
figured out price point for the membership but you could charge alot
and it would be worth it but there is an events Calendar plugin that
sits around 30 dollars and the benefits and support for 30 dollars is
a no brainer . But I have been using it for almost a year and I think
with all future projects I am going to add at least 30 dollars to the
clients bill in the future per client per site. So I can spread
alittle bit of love. Thank you so much for your hard work. Its an
incredible plugin.

Cheers,
Tyler

DJK

Jun 26, 2011, 3:56:55 AM6/26/11
to magic-...@googlegroups.com
I hope to see the 2.0 release. I used Magic Fields on my own website and was really happy with the plugin as well as the personalized support I received. I'm trying out some different things for a website I just finished and I didn't like it as much. The plans you guys have for 2.0 sound really great. Proper English documentation would be very much appreciated. Thanks and keep up the good work and enhancements. I'm sure there could be interest generated in a fair payment system if this plugin underwent an overhaul.

cruiserweight

Jul 30, 2011, 9:24:25 PM7/30/11
to magic-...@googlegroups.com
I'll echo what many others here have said. Magic fields is extremely useful, to the point that I would gladly pay to support further development.

Hunk

Jul 31, 2011, 10:30:17 PM7/31/11
to magic-...@googlegroups.com
There is a change of plans. For more information they can read this post http://magicfields.org/magic-fields-2-0-beta-1-is-released/

 if you are a happy user of magic fields, please consider make a donation, with your support and donations we can continue working on this plugin.

DJK

Jul 31, 2011, 10:34:39 PM7/31/11
to Magic Fields
Saw the version 2 post. Will it work with taxonomies as well as custom
post types?

On Jul 31, 7:30 pm, Hunk <ing.ed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a change of plans. For more information they can read this
> posthttp://magicfields.org/magic-fields-2-0-beta-1-is-released/
>
> * if you are a happy user of magic fields, please consider make a donation,
> with your support and donations we can continue working on this plugin.*

David Valdez

Jul 31, 2011, 10:35:57 PM7/31/11
to magic-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the new version have a custom taxonomies  support. (i forget mention that on the post, i'm going to update it)

--
David Valdez

Sahus Pilwal

Sep 22, 2011, 10:55:44 AM9/22/11
to magic-...@googlegroups.com
David,

I agree with some of the comments below. Magic Fields has become a very useful and integral plugin for WordPress community and so it deserves to be a paid for solution. The plugin for sure needs improvements, enhancements and most importantly a UI update to make the plugin more intuitive. So if this needs more investment in time for you, Edgar or anyone else to develop I think making it a commercially licensed product is the way to go.

As mentioned below Gravity Forms seem to have done a great job of commercializing a WordPress plugin so I would use them as the basis to work from. Having a personal, developer and business license would fit most users. Though I would be careful how much input the community has. Suggestions, feedback and feature requests is probably all you would need from them apart from, obviously lots of orders ;)

There is a real opportunity for you guys to make Magic Fields the No.1 CMS type plugin for WordPress.

Good luck!!! Regards,

Sahus Pilwal