Should I replace my queen?

marcus finnley

May 15, 2013, 1:47:44 PM5/15/13
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I have a caniolan queen and I'm concerned that she is not laying enough.  She is making nice semicircle brood patterns, but not that many.  Last Thursday I checked and there were only two frames (front and back) with capped brood.  I couldn't see any eggs, but that is not uncommon for me as I never do (I've read the light suggestions, just haven't tried them yet.).  They have very good stores of honey and pollen, so I don't think that is the problem or if there is a problem at all.  I've also witnessed a couple of fake swarming attempts.  Bees will start to cling to the outside of the hive while others swarm around the hive.  It is different behavior than bearding which I've seen and too cold for it anyway.  My only other guess would be orientation flights.  But if they are failed swarming attempts that would indicate the queen if failing right?

The reason I'm asking is I can get a mated queen on Saturday for $25 and I don't know if that would be the right or wrong thing to do.  Any tips?

Thanks

blu...@madtown.net

May 15, 2013, 4:21:42 PM5/15/13
to mad...@googlegroups.com

HI Marcus,

 Carniiolans are slow to build up in the spring and that may be all you are seeing.

Is this a new queen from a package swarm?  If it is, I would give her some more time. If you can see young larvae she may be alright yet.  If she is making a solid brood pattern but it is small she may not have enough bees to expand the nest yet.    She most likely won't swarm on  you.

A failing queen won't cause them to swarm.

If they are that weak they won't swarm  and if the queen is failing they will start supercedure queen cells.

If this is an overwintered queen,  you see queen  cells and you don't see any larvae,  it wouldn't hurt to replace her. Make sure you don't have a queen  or queen cells when you install a new one.   Leave the new queen, alone in the cage, (no workers) for 3 to 5 days between the brood frames so the hive bees can access her through the screen.

Dale

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups madbees group. To post to this group, send email to mad...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to madbees+u...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/madbees?hl=en
---

Kurt Runzheimer

jeanne hansen

May 20, 2013, 1:18:49 PM5/20/13
to mad...@googlegroups.com
When boxes are pried apart this time of year, and drone larva are exposed, they are fat and fresh and white.  This is the time of year to eat a few, to see what they taste like.  Don't cringe!  There are people who eat and treasure larva as a food.  They have a very mild flavor.  Some people say they are good mixed into omelet.  You haven't experienced all there is in life if you never tasted a larva.

Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714