Question on swarming

mike yohn

Aug 19, 2017, 11:49:12 AM8/19/17
to madbees
How late in the year will bees still swarm? There must be a point where they decide it is to late in the year to be able to build a colony and be able to servive the winter. Had a tornado of bees above a hive that returned to hive like they were thinking about it yet. Just wondering if there is a cut off point.
Thanks for the information in advance!

Greg V

Aug 19, 2017, 12:53:45 PM8/19/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Never late for variety of reasons.

You'd be better off to peek inside and see if any swarms cells are present.
Then worry and handle (or not).

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 10:49 AM, mike yohn <myoh...@gmail.com> wrote:
How late in the year will bees still swarm? There must be a point where they decide it is to late in the year to be able to build a colony and be able to servive the winter. Had a tornado of bees above a hive that returned to hive like they were thinking about it yet. Just wondering if there is a cut off point.
Thanks for the information in advance!

mike yohn

Greg V

Aug 19, 2017, 3:45:15 PM8/19/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Sure.
She will mate and lay brood and you should be fine (not terribly late yet).

PS: join the club; looks like I lost a swarm too while on vacation; oh well, just life.

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 2:37 PM, mike yohn <myoh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Appears they swarmed bee count down no laying queen but queen cells 3 open ones and 2 closed yet. So will the new queen mate yet this year to lay brood?
On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 11:53 AM Greg V <voro...@gmail.com> wrote:
Never late for variety of reasons.

You'd be better off to peek inside and see if any swarms cells are present.
Then worry and handle (or not).
On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 10:49 AM, mike yohn <myoh...@gmail.com> wrote:
How late in the year will bees still swarm? There must be a point where they decide it is to late in the year to be able to build a colony and be able to servive the winter. Had a tornado of bees above a hive that returned to hive like they were thinking about it yet. Just wondering if there is a cut off point.
Thanks for the information in advance!

mike yohn

marvin

Aug 20, 2017, 8:11:49 AM8/20/17
to madbees
I'm glad you mentioned the helicopter spraying.  Anybody know what they are spraying for and with?  I heard a lot of helicopter activity the other day about 7 miles from where I live and later saw the chopper with the booms fly over on its way home.  It doesn't seem to be a widespread practice, but I'd like to know what's going on.

Matt H

Aug 20, 2017, 11:33:35 AM8/20/17
to madbees
Could be anything from herbicide to fungicide to insecticide to a foliar feed. Soybeans are often targeted around here for aerial spraying.

Here's a good source of what is possibly sprayed and when.

http://atlantic-pacificag.com/late-soybean-spraying-68/

You can always register on the drift watch site. Not 100% guarantee that neighboring farmers will inform you, but it can't hurt.

https://driftwatch.org

Greg V

Aug 20, 2017, 12:32:23 PM8/20/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Aside from a lost swarm issue, I would consider looking for a different host.
No matter how good the host is, if the spraying incidents takes place nearby, that can not be good.