Bee Gum in Lyndon, WI

jeanne hansen

Dec 3, 2019, 5:19:16 PM12/3/19
to Madbees Madbees, klei...@yaoo.com
A family cut down a tree, found part of the trunk was hollow, and contained a hive of lively bees.  The section of log is on the ground, and it is estimated that 3 people could pick it up and carry it off.  Anyone interested should contact

Christen Leitzinger
701 Franklin St.
Lyndon, WI (near Dodgeville)

608-5743-6731
email:

Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714

trex raptor

Dec 3, 2019, 5:43:40 PM12/3/19
to madbees
Please advise the family the staple a sheet of cardboard over both ends of the log. This will seal the hive and protect it from the elements until someone can hopefully come to pick it up. While I would love to be that person, its a little outside my jurisdiction. Best of luck and please share photos with us all!

jeanne grist

Dec 3, 2019, 5:49:30 PM12/3/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com
We have property with bees very near there and emailed but phone number listed has too many numbers!

Robert Couchman

Dec 3, 2019, 5:57:22 PM12/3/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com

I believe that is Linden not Lyndon (which is near Sheboygan)

jeanne hansen

Dec 3, 2019, 9:52:14 PM12/3/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com
So sorry for all the mistakes!  Yes, the town is Linden.
The phone is 608-574-6731

Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714

Joseph Bessetti

Dec 4, 2019, 8:32:16 AM12/4/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com
If no one closer is able to get them, I'll be out that way Saturday anyway and could get them.  I have done this a few times before and have a sheltered location to keep them through winter.

For what it's worth, survival rates tend to be low on average for this kind of rescue, but I do sometimes get a good one (with mite resistance).

Joe

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone

Joseph Bessetti

Dec 7, 2019, 11:22:46 PM12/7/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com
This colony has been rescued.  Lots of bees, but not a lot of stores.  Looks like it was probably newly established colony this summer based on the combs.

I will probably either need to cut them out or mount a box with frames of stores on top so they move up into it.  I have a great place to keep them for winter, so I should be able to get them through as long as they are healthy.

trex raptor

Dec 8, 2019, 12:46:40 PM12/8/19
to madbees
Very cool! Did you take any pictures?

Joseph Bessetti

Dec 10, 2019, 5:45:36 PM12/10/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com
It was dark when I loaded them.  Took some photos the next day as I was cutting away sections to prep them for winter.  See if these come through.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/madbees/781362c2-f663-4763-a134-5bd5678a4400%40googlegroups.com.
20191208_113239_resized_1.jpg
20191208_120843_resized_1.jpg
20191208_132804_resized_1.jpg
20191208_132809_resized_1.jpg
20191208_145340_resized.jpg

Joseph Bessetti

Dec 10, 2019, 8:22:55 PM12/10/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Basically, I took off about 8" from the bottom, screwed on a piece of plywood there, cut off branches, sealed holes with cardboard, and cut off some of the top to try to level it so that I can mount a hive body with frames on it.  I haven't added the box with frames yet, but will try to add a photo after I do.   I will have to put screen over the cardboard to keep mice from chewing through.

It took two of us to load it, but it was easy to move by myself on a hand truck after I lightened it up a bit.  The bees were really chill while i was cutting; the weather couldn't have been more perfect Sunday afternoon.  Kept the openings covered up with a towel as much as I could to keep them from trying to fly out, but it was just cool enough that they basically stayed clustered together.

Diane Packett

Dec 10, 2019, 8:45:11 PM12/10/19
to madbees
Joe, do you have honey to feed them? You said they didn't have a lot of stores. I have a medium super full that my hive didn't eat before it died.

Diane

Diane Packett

Dec 10, 2019, 8:46:30 PM12/10/19
to madbees
Never mind, I re-red your post about putting a box with stores on top. Say if you need more.

Joseph Bessetti

Dec 10, 2019, 9:44:15 PM12/10/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I have the frames of capped honey that they will need.  Thanks for the offer!

Joe

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone

Dec 11, 2019, 12:21:31 AM12/11/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing the pictures and the intentionality you put into this “hobby”👍😐

Sent from my iPhone

John Thompson

Jan 6, 2020, 11:25:20 AM1/6/20
to madbees
Any updates on this? Any pics of the trunk with a box on it?