Honey wanted for research project

jeanne hansen

Mar 18, 2019, 6:40:54 PM3/18/19
to SEAN ROSS SCOTT, Madbees Madbees
See the message below.  When I phoned Sean, he said he would like about a spoonful of honey from as many beekeepers as possible, which he would analyze as a way to track environmental contamination.   If you keep your honey separated by apiary, he would probably like some from each location.

He lives in Madison.  He would be happy to come to a meeting and speak about the subject, or just attend a meeting and pick up samples.  If he had to, he would drive to your house to get the sample.  Or he can provide an address, and you can mail them.  Naturally, he has to know the location of the hive, and probably the name, address and phone of the beekeeper as well.

I remember a similar situation a few years ago, and people cooperated and donated honey very generously.  I trust the same will happen now.

Zac, when you are setting up meetings, can you designate one as the honey collection meeting?  Would you keep in touch with Sean?  His e-mail is in the address line, and his phone is below.

Thanks in advance to everyone for your kindness and cooperation in this simple matter.

Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714

On Monday, March 18, 2019, 4:43:18 PM CDT, SEAN ROSS SCOTT <srsc...@wisc.edu> wrote:

Hello Jean,

I am contacting you today to inquire about beekeeping in Madison, WI. Recently, a scientific paper was published in the journal Nature Sustainability that documented the use of chemical analysis of honey in urban environments to track environmental contamination. I work in the trace metals clean lab group at the Wisconsin State Laboratory of Hygiene and I am wondering if the Dane County Beekeepers Association would be interesting in pursuing a similar study in Madison, WI. Here are relevant links to the nature article and a news article:

Let me know if your are interested. I am happy to provide more information. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Cheers,
Sean

Sean R. Scott, PhD
Research Associate