Next Weeks Meeting

carrie

May 27, 2020, 9:36:59 AM5/27/20
to madbees Dane County Beeks, chief...@yahoo.com
First thanks to Margaret, we do have a Zoom meeting scheduled for next week. But, Betsy and I have been talking and would like to know if people are ready to have an outside meeting. I know I get more out of the meetings when there are all kinds of side conversations. We could do it at Betsy and Danny’s or my place (I live about 4 miles north of Betsy). What say you?
Carrie Williams

Sent from my iPad

Mark Evans

May 27, 2020, 11:54:49 AM5/27/20
to mad...@googlegroups.com, chief...@yahoo.com
Carrie & Betsy... I do respect the effort to think about this... but I'm not ready for a "non-virtual" mtg yet.  If there is a zoom mtg, I will try to participate.
Meanwhile, I'm attaching here, a spreadsheet showing how I'm tracking my hives for 2020.
Mark

First thanks to Margaret, we do have a Zoom meeting scheduled for next week. But, Betsy and I have been talking and would like to know if people are ready to have an outside meeting. I know I get more out of the meetings  when there are all kinds of side conversations. We could do it at Betsy and Danny’s or my place (I live about 4 miles north of Betsy). What say you?
Carrie Williams

Sent from my iPad

Hive data 2020.xlsx

Laurel Statz

May 27, 2020, 12:54:41 PM5/27/20
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I'd be fine with an outside real place meeting.

Laurel Statz CVT, CEMT, CEKTP, CEMFRP
Spot On Equine Bodywork LLC
Back On Track Dealer

Margaret Krome

May 27, 2020, 1:45:59 PM5/27/20
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I like outside meetings too, but personally, I wouldn't make it.  Our family's two households are still self-isolating.

mk

--
Margaret Krome
Policy Program Director

Madison Office: (608) 238-1440

The mission of Michael Fields Agricultural Institute is to nurture the
ecological, social, and economic resiliency of food and farming
systems through education, research, policy, and market development.

Joseph Bessetti

May 27, 2020, 2:38:18 PM5/27/20
to madbees Dane County Beeks, chief...@yahoo.com
I would definitely try to make an outside meeting next Tuesday.

I assume we would practice distancing.

A decision should also be made in advance as to whether masks will be required of all or optional for all participants.   This may influence who attends.

Instead of individuals replying that they won't attend for whatever their personal reason is, it would be better if only those who ARE willing to attend reply to this thread.  If your attendance is dependent on everyone wearing masks, the number of attendees, or other factors please note that as well.

Joe

First thanks to Margaret, we do have a Zoom meeting scheduled for next week. But, Betsy and I have been talking and would like to know if people are ready to have an outside meeting. I know I get more out of the meetings  when there are all kinds of side conversations. We could do it at Betsy and Danny’s or my place (I live about 4 miles north of Betsy). What say you?
Carrie Williams

Sent from my iPad

BETSY TRUE

May 27, 2020, 2:47:55 PM5/27/20
to Madbees
Maybe we could do both. Zoom from our mobiles in Carrie’s yard?

BETSY TRUE

May 27, 2020, 3:51:23 PM5/27/20
to Madbees
Maybe we could do both. Zoom from our mobiles in Carrie’s yard?

larry lindokken

May 27, 2020, 5:02:38 PM5/27/20
to mad...@googlegroups.com
What stage is dane county at on reopening. Would an outdoor meeting be proper?  I will not be able to attend due to my health situation and the virus. I would
attempt to attend if a Zoom meeting was held.  Larry Lindokken

Joseph Bessetti

May 27, 2020, 5:33:12 PM5/27/20
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Dane County is currently in Phase 1 of their reopening plan.  It allows mass gatherings of up to 50 individuals outside with social distancing (6-feet separation).

You can read more at the link below if interested.   Gatherings of any kind obviously increase risk to those involved, regardless of the recommendations.  Anyone who believes that they are at elevated risk or those who regularly have contact with anyone at elevated risk should be especially careful.  Unfortunately, that means that some people may want to continue to self-isolate until a vaccine is available or new cases are no longer detected in the population.  This does not mean that everyone has to continue to self isolate forever.

I think what is really being asked here is who is willing to accept some minimal risk (outside, with social distancing, wear a mask to protect yourself if you prefer) in order to get together to talk bees and maybe pop some hive tops if the opportunity is presented?

Joe

Phone (608) 266-4821 Fax (608) 266-4858 www.publichealthmdc.com ORDER OF PUBLIC HEALTH MADISON & DANE COUNTY DATE OF ORDER: MAY 22, 2020 Goes into effect at 8:00 a.m. on May 26, 2020

May 27, 2020, 5:43:23 PM5/27/20
to madbees
I would be there with mask on.

Diane

Margaret Krome

May 27, 2020, 10:35:22 PM5/27/20
to mad...@googlegroups.com
A couple more thoughts.  I think the question isn't just who is willing to do gather outside but also who would be left out if that were the only option.  I appreciate Joe's good information about current Dane County  policy and agree with his thoughts about 6' social distancing.  But wearing a mask isn't generally for one's own protection; it does offer some minimal protection for oneself, but its greater purpose is to protect others by reducing airborne droplets from one's mouth and nose.  If some people don't wear masks, it increase the risks for everyone present, even though it would be outdoors, which certainly would be safer than indoors.

I like Betsy's inquiry whether it's doable for those gathering in-person to also bring others into the space virtually through Zoom.  I think it depends on the willingness of a person or persons to really invest themselves in that effort; it might be awkward to take on, but others can comment on that.  I would attend virtually if someone were to do that.  I really do hope to participate in this month's meeting, as I encountered some crazy stuff in my hive last weekend!

Thx,
mk

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 4:43 PM Diane Packett <dlpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would be there with mask on.

Diane

Curtis Ryals

Tim Aure

May 28, 2020, 11:01:04 PM5/28/20
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I’m open either way. People have to be comfortable with their decisions. Most of the state is open.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 28, 2020, at 5:37 PM, Curtis Ryals <cdr...@gmail.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/madbees/ede9d4a2-ea6c-465f-a51c-676b353b3c00%40googlegroups.com.

Mark Evans

May 29, 2020, 9:47:00 AM5/29/20
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Most of the state is open... for political purposes, not for health-based reasons.

May 29, 2020, 9:53:08 AM5/29/20
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Obviously it is everyone’s personal decision, but I did just see an article that we had a record high new cases and deaths just a couple days ago. So, yeah, it’s more political pressure than because things are safe that we are open.
I would definitely not attend an in person meeting, but would attend a zoom meeting.

Carrie Williams

May 30, 2020, 10:50:10 AM5/30/20
to mad...@googlegroups.com, chief...@yahoo.com
Ok, here’s what I’m proposing for our meeting on Tuesday. The first part of the meeting will be the zoom meeting, except there will be a bunch of people at my place. We start off with a round robin and go through everyone who wants to speak up or ask a question or just introduce themselves. We will then try to transition to my apiary, but since it’s behind a large metal building, I’m not sure zoom will work there. I’ll give out my internet password to those who are attending, so we don’t have just one zoom connection. I had also planned on setting up my iPad with a bluetooth speaker on a stand, so it’ll show the group. We could use that as our group connection. What do you think?
Carrie

Sent from my iPad

BETSY TRUE

May 30, 2020, 11:03:37 AM5/30/20
to mad...@googlegroups.com, chief...@yahoo.com

Carrie Williams

May 30, 2020, 11:28:02 AM5/30/20
to BETSY TRUE, mad...@googlegroups.com
I plan to test it.

Sent from my iPad

Tim Aure

May 30, 2020, 12:30:47 PM5/30/20
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Great! Like a restaurant, you seek to make every one happy. Like our bees some can stay close to their hive, some fly far and wide.
Looking forward to seeing your setup and the group that decides to come
Can we bring anything?
😉🐝👍

Sent from my iPhone

On May 30, 2020, at 10:28 AM, 'Carrie Williams' via madbees <mad...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I plan to test it.

Carrie Williams

May 30, 2020, 2:12:51 PM5/30/20
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I do have some Russian bees, they are not as nice as the Italians, so bring protection. I’ll have a case of bottles water and of course rhubarb bars.
Carrie

Sent from my iPad

BETSY TRUE

Jun 3, 2020, 11:03:02 AM6/3/20
to Madbees

The meeting went quite well considering the circumstances and despite the technical difficulties of background noise and audio delay. My iPhone battery went very low so I disappeared from the roster. Zoom is great for this type of meeting. The weather turned nasty as a front came in so we hustled out of there.

I noticed that Carrie has a projector screen on the side of her house so maybe we can go there for movies later.
Meeting in person has so many excellent opportunities to make connections and plans, so we should try to do this again.