Mites also feed on fat bodies

h. adam steinberg

Feb 6, 2019, 2:23:00 PM2/6/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Sorry if this was already posted to the list. It came out mid January. I’ve been away.

From the article: "In the paper, Ramsey and his colleagues show that the varroa mite doesn’t just suck blood but feeds on a vital organ in the honeybee called the fat body, which stores nutrients and filters toxins — sort of like a human’s liver.

Greg V

Feb 6, 2019, 2:30:19 PM2/6/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com

Marcin Matelski

Feb 6, 2019, 2:38:39 PM2/6/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com
If anyone gets a chance to see Dr. Ramsey speak, don't miss the opportunity. He was a speaker at last year's Bee Forum in Chicago and it was phenomenal. He's also got an ongoing fundraiser to cover the costs of studying the next mite - tropilaelaps.

Greg V

Feb 22, 2019, 10:48:11 AM2/22/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com

Zac Alexander

Feb 22, 2019, 10:54:26 AM2/22/19
to madbees
There's a great interview with Dr. Ramsey on the Beekeeping Today podcast (also a great resource). http://beekeepingtodaypodcast.com/dr-samuel-ramsey-the-varroa-fat-body-rediscovery

He's a really interesting guy doing really interesting research. +1 for his fundraiser: https://www.gofundme.com/fundhoneybeeresearch

Marcin Matelski

Feb 23, 2019, 2:10:35 PM2/23/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Dr Ramsey was a speaker last year at a Bee Forum in Chicago. In addition to his great and informative presentation, he dissected bees to show fat bodies and point out differences between healthy fat bodies ( full of nutrition ) and dilapidated ( empty of nutrients ) ones. As his research shows, fat bodies are very important organ that's responsible for many functions that allow bees/colony to perform efficiently. If you have a chance to see/hear Dr. Ramsey speak, I would highly recommend it

Marcin
Chicago

Scott Johnson

Feb 23, 2019, 5:46:14 PM2/23/19