Inspection Demo wanted Madison east

jeanne hansen

Jul 18, 2019, 4:32:30 PM7/18/19
to Madbees Madbees, essy19...@gmail.com
Dear Group,

Shani Coleman is a first-year beekeeper with one hive.  She would like someone to come and do an inspection with her, possibly test for mites, and give some advice.

Bees are on St. Paul Ave near Milwaukee St, her sister's place, get directions when you call.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714

Joseph Bessetti

Jul 19, 2019, 3:45:25 PM7/19/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com, essy19...@gmail.com
So does anyone actually go help other beekeepers when this kind of request is made?

I ask because these threads usually don't get any responses on-list, which makes it appears as if there isn't anyone offering to help.

Joe

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone

Mark Evans

Jul 19, 2019, 3:49:15 PM7/19/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I have been mentoring 1 person for 2 yrs now, a 2nd person since last March and a 3rd since May.  I am unable to help more people due to the time commitment.  I have not posted my responses to them nor our work, prior to this response to your question below.
Mark

Jul 19, 2019, 4:23:55 PM7/19/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I usually tell the people, "If o one responds, let me know and I will try again."   I don't hear back.

Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714

jeanne hansen

Jul 19, 2019, 4:31:51 PM7/19/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com
In general, this is what the bee inspector does.  For free.

Dan Ziehli

Also, go to http://www.capitalbeesupply.com and check out their classes.  Many are FREE!

Our club meetings are also valuable!!

Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714

Joseph Bessetti

Jul 19, 2019, 5:09:53 PM7/19/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Good to hear that some people are getting the help they want.

Joseph Bessetti

Jul 19, 2019, 5:52:34 PM7/19/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Not really the bee inspector's job to mentor new beekeepers.  Though if concerned about pests or disease that would be an appropriate contact.

Capital Bee's classes are a good suggestion, especially if they do field days and inspect a bunch of hives; that would even be worth paying for.  I had the opportunity to inspect commercial treatment-free hives a while back as part of an extended beekeeping conference.   Money well spent.

There's really no better experience than to get into a bunch of hives 4-5 times per year so that you can see the progression of multiple hives through a whole season.   It's hard to get meaningful experience with just 1 hive as there's nothing to compare it to.  That's where the right mentor is ideal because they usually have more hives and you can go look at theirs.

I used to offer to help people with inspections more often, but I've been turned off of doing it by the general obsession most people have with mites.   The right mentor for those people is another beekeeper obsessed with mites.   That's mostly why I don't go to the meetings very often either.  Mite season is coming btw...

I offer to help people catch swarms every spring, but most new beekeepers just want to buy packages.  That's another turn-off for me.  I don't do packages.  Too many queen problems, no mite resistance.   Swarms are great; you just don't know when they are going to show up; sometimes it's in May, sometimes July.  And if they die, they didn't cost anything and they usually leave behind a bunch of comb and honey.  So will a package, but swarms are free.  I am curious though to see how the packages with Russian queens do this coming winter.  If the queens aren't duds they should boost your odds of getting through winter.   That said,  I think lack of quality fall forage is often a bigger challenge for getting bees through the winter than mites are.   Lots of hives are treated for mites and still die, something else has to be killing most of those ones.

I'm starting to ramble.  If anyone is looking for a mentor who will help them catch swarms or get bees from a cut-out and teach basic bee biology and management but won't do or discuss mite treatments, then I might consider taking on another one or two people next season.  (I am mentoring a couple people currently.)

Joe

Tim Aure

Jul 19, 2019, 7:01:31 PM7/19/19
to mad...@googlegroups.com
The monthly bee club meetings, they’re free!, Capital Bees/ Rich & Stacy- Rich literally visits multiple groups & has a broad perspective, making friends with fellow beeks and shadowing them. There are a myriad of books and utube posts from all aspects of bee keeping- treatment free, packages, nucs, top bar, etc, you can literally spend hours gleaning information!
This forum that Jeanne wonderfully manages, the bee inspector... like learning to swim, riding a bike or eating a banana... one needs to jump in and learn by the good (and bad) school of hard knocks. There really is a wealth of info out there, from one on one, to groups, to literally, what was once called the “world wide web”! Some times I feel like a newbee compared to some but in retrospect I’ve come some distance. Every one has their own way of “cooking stew”. Learning the whys and wherefores is an interesting way of learning 😉👍🐝

Sent from my iPhone