Do Dragonflies Eat Honey Bees?

Tim Aure

May 7, 2021, 8:39:20 PM5/7/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
😳
https://youtu.be/8UH07xhg6bo

Sent from my iPhone

Scott Johnson

May 8, 2021, 7:47:01 AM5/8/21
to madbees
He's not eating him, he's torturing her to give up the secret code to enter the hive. She didn't talk.

Scott

==========================
Excuse brevity.
Sent by clacks.
S. A. J. Johnson
==========================

Tim Aure <timoth...@gmail.com> schrieb am Fr., 7. Mai 2021, 19:39:
😳

https://youtu.be/8UH07xhg6bo

Sent from my iPhone

Hannu

May 8, 2021, 8:24:33 PM5/8/21
to madbees
Phhh, that was kind of hard to watch!

Joseph Bessetti

May 8, 2021, 9:30:46 PM5/8/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I had about 7 dragonflies hanging out near my hives late last summer.  They would pick off 1 or 2 workers a day each.  14 workers is very small compared to the number of new workers that emerge every day.

I was happy to see them as in 15 years I hadn't seen so many, and they did no real harm to my colonies.

Joe

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone

Paul Zelenski

May 8, 2021, 9:39:17 PM5/8/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, they only become an issue when they start eating your queens as they’re mating.

Greg V

May 8, 2021, 10:11:26 PM5/8/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
That's why you always mate more queens than really needed.
Never 100% success - because the young queens are very tasty.

trex raptor

May 8, 2021, 11:10:17 PM5/8/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Dragonflies are one of the most successful predators, they kill 95% of prey they go after. My experience is that your mating return will go from 80% down to 50% when dragonflies show up. I will see them doing laps around my mating yards during the wet weeks in the spring/summer. No love for dragonflies here.

Tim Aure

May 9, 2021, 6:24:48 AM5/9/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
So, I would think a mating yard would be (best) not put close to a wetland, where dragon flies emerge from... like squirrels playing on the road vs up in the trees?
The "odds" as Trevor says work towards less success of getting a mated queen. 🤔😐

Sent from my iPhone

Paul Zelenski

May 9, 2021, 10:08:51 AM5/9/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I do have one mating yard close to a wetland that has great success fir my early splits and low success later in the year. I suspect dragonflies. They’ll be mating next week. Hopefully that’s early enough.

On May 9, 2021, at 5:24 AM, Tim Aure <timoth...@gmail.com> wrote:

So, I would think a mating yard would be (best) not put close to a wetland, where dragon flies emerge from... like squirrels playing on the road vs up in the trees?

Mark Evans

May 9, 2021, 2:29:40 PM5/9/21
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Like any predator/prey situation, these things so much depend on the current relative abundance of prey species and what is ready to eat them.  It's also more likely that the larger Aeschnid dragonflies are more apt to take a honeybee, if they encounter one, if some other good munchable is not available (although some other mid-sizes species may, too).  Also, when people see large numbers of dragonflies, such as when some Libellulids emerge somewhat synchronously in places near mid-summer, or when Aeshnids are migrating through in a swarm in the fall, one can get the false impression that an area always has lots of dragonflies.  Like most things Mother Nature lets us glimpse, or we just happen to temporarily notice, it can be more complicated.
Mark