Has anybody tried SUPERDFM-HONEYBEE

Mike Vidal

Mar 12, 2018, 4:55:05 PM3/12/18
to madbees

Matt H

Mar 12, 2018, 6:28:17 PM3/12/18
to madbees
Yup, 2x. While I can't say I did a true controlled study, I did find it very effective at one thing...lightening my wallet.

In all seriousness I saw no effect. I treated half my hives. Some with treatment lived, some died. Some without treatment lived, some died. I didn't see any observable difference in strength or buildup.

I don't think it can hurt, but probably doesn't help much either. Some swear by it but I wonder about some of their motivations (fiscal or maintaining reputation).

capitalb...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2018, 11:06:45 PM3/12/18
to madbees
A couple of things to know about Super-DFM - it is a knock-off of Strong Microbials and not as well thought out in terms of the product content compared to the Strong Microbials product. A second issue for both products has been recent discussions withing the segment of the research community that is studying pro-biotic usage in honeybees about increases in nosema ceranae infection levels post use, which was unexpected...however that has to be tempered with the fact that more research has to be done to further affirm or refute those findings. I think your experience is what the majority of other beekeepers have seen when using probiotic product(s) in that it isn't creating the level of impact that beekeepers would like to see. As I've probably said before the sides of the pathway through beekeeping history are littered with 100s if not thousands of products and ideas that just didn't pan out for a variety of reasons after the initial anticipation, excitement and fanfare.....and when it comes to bee health nearly every product introduced is supposed to be "the thing"....

Rich
Capital Bee Supply

Matt H

Mar 13, 2018, 5:39:44 AM3/13/18
to madbees
Super-DFM is made by strong microbials, so how is a knock-off?  Are you thinking about a different product?

capitalb...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2018, 9:57:01 PM3/15/18
to madbees
Your right, it is the Pro-DFM that Mann Lake makes as a knock off of Super DFM from Strong Microbials. That is the way they confuse people like me about the products.