Spring things

Laurel Statz

Apr 4, 2020, 7:13:44 PM4/4/20
to madbees
Good Afternoon!
Just two quick questions.
When should we take the hive cozies off?
When can we take the mouse guards off?
As of yesterday it looks like both our hives are alive. We were pretty sure the weaker hive was dead but yesterday and today bees are buzzing out of both hives.
Laurie Statz, Cross Plains.

John Thompson

Apr 4, 2020, 7:22:11 PM4/4/20
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Did all that this past week. Weather looks good to get into spring mode.

Carrie Williams

Apr 4, 2020, 7:41:44 PM4/4/20
to mad...@googlegroups.com, chief...@yahoo.com
Except, if we get some normal weather swings for April and we get a couple of days and nights of cold weather. If they’ve started brood rearing in earnest they may not be able to keep the brood warm and they will sacrifice themselves trying. Remember you’re changing the R-value a good bit by taking off their insulation.

Sent from my iPad

Joseph Bessetti

Apr 4, 2020, 9:08:14 PM4/4/20
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Exactly.  I'd leave it on until you have to get into them.  Last year I didn't check some of  mine until about May; remember we had snow in April.

The main thing right now us to make sure they aren't light on stores. They are bringing in pollen, but they probably aren't getting enough nectar, so they are still consuming winter stores to build up.

Joe

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone

Laurel Statz

Apr 5, 2020, 10:15:08 AM4/5/20
to mad...@googlegroups.com
What about the mouse guards?  They do keep some wind out but maybe the small entrance would do better.
Laurie.

--
Laurel Statz CVT, CEMT, CEKTP, CEMFRP
Spot On Equine Bodywork LLC

Joseph Bessetti

Apr 5, 2020, 10:40:28 AM4/5/20
to mad...@googlegroups.com
The bees are active enough now that mice shouldn't be a threat, but the smaller entrance is valuable.  And I'd leave the screened bottoms closed too.

paulze...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2020, 2:00:17 PM4/5/20
to mad...@googlegroups.com

Spring advice can be difficult. Many hives are at very different levels at this time of the year. I have some hives that are filling 3 deeps and I’m glad I added a 4th. I have other hives that are barely 3 frames. The strong hives can probably withstand anything you do to them as long as they have enough food. They have enough mass to withstand removing any insulation that you have. The smaller ones are kind of barely hanging on and probably need whatever support they can get.

I agree with Joe, though, they you probably want to keep the entrance reduced, although I would prefer a normal entrance reducer at this point to a specific mouseguard. I also wouldn’t open the screened bottom if you had it closed all winter. Opening the bottom to wind and drafts is probably the most drastic thing you could do to change the environment inside the hive.

There does seem to be a lot of pollen coming in, but I doubt there is much nectar. It is also spring in WI, so conditions can change drastically on a dime, so be careful not to get too far ahead of yourself.

Greg V

Apr 5, 2020, 6:51:54 PM4/5/20
to mad...@googlegroups.com
One thing I did today - gave bees some water (a quart to a unit). There is plenty of stores here. But they need lots of water to brood yet the weather is unstable.

Albert Kertho

Apr 6, 2020, 10:20:40 AM4/6/20
to madbees
Depends on the strength of the hives. Weaker hives: you may want to wait a bit to remove the cozies. Strong hives should be able to handle the cold temps. Please leave mouse guards on or at least larger entrance reducer. A few days back I cleaned the bottom board of one hive then walked a way for a bit. When i came back, mice had already come to feast on the dead bees that i cleaned.

Albert
Darien