What is the suffix for Freehand files?

C Malcolm

Aug 9, 2001, 8:11:53 AM8/9/01
I've received from Freehand files via e-mail from a Mac (I'm on a PC) and I
need to stick an extension on the end. What is the correct extensions for
Freehand files?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

C Malcolm

maxxxx

Aug 9, 2001, 8:28:10 AM8/9/01
*.fhX, where X is for version number...

--

maxxxx
____________

"C Malcolm" <chris...@deletethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message

C Malcolm

Aug 9, 2001, 8:32:28 AM8/9/01
Thanks for that, but how do I found out what version number to put? It's a
file coming from a Mac but opening on a PC.

Thanks
C Malcolm

"maxxxx" <ma...@tsconline.it> wrote in message

Angus McIntyre

Aug 9, 2001, 9:43:05 AM8/9/01
In article <9ktvut$kni$1...@forums.macromedia.com>,
"C Malcolm" <chris...@deletethis.hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for that, but how do I found out what version number to put? It's a
> file coming from a Mac but opening on a PC.

You could try opening the file up with a text editor and peeking at the
first few lines of gibberish. Freehand 10 files should contain the
string 'Freehand10' somewhere early on. On the other hand, Freehand 8
files don't seem to have an equivalent identifier (I can't speak for
FH9, as I don't have any examples to hand).

Another option would be simply to make copies of one of the files and
try it out with different extensions, repeating until Freehand reads the
file successfully (of course this may also crash your machine, so be
careful). If you can assume that all the files were made with the same
version, then you can then rename all your files accordingly.

AFAIK, these are your options. The information used on the Mac to
identify the type and creator of a document is stored separately from
the file itself (more accurately, it's stored in the file's 'resource
fork', which will probably have gotten quietly dropped during the
transfer to your PC).

an...@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~angus

"I am here by the will of the people ... and I "Metrophage"
will not leave until I get my raincoat back." Richard Kadrey

David W Gangwisch

Aug 9, 2001, 10:58:07 AM8/9/01
Actually you don't need to add the extension. Simply open the "Mac" files by
accessing FH's File/Open dialog and selecting "All Files" in the "Files of
Type" field. You will now see all files, any extension and no extension, and
can select the Mac file and open it. FH will do the peeking into the file's
header for you and determine for itself what format the file is actually in.
The extension only functions to allow double-clicking on the file to launch
FH as its editor, to allow Windows to display an appropriate icon (both are
Windows OS functions) and to allow FH's file dialogs (Open, Save, Export,
Import) to filter the files it displays.

On rare occasions FH can't clearly determine the file's format or there may
be two ways FH can read it. In those cases you can enter "*.*" in the "File
name" field and select a format in the "Files of Type" field. FH should then
attempt to open whatever file you select (the "*.*" lets you see all files;
a standard Windows trick using the "*" wildcards.) using the import filter
for the format you select in "Files of type". This way with some Trial &
Terror experimenting you can try various import filters perhaps finding one
that works.

Bill Schuhle

Aug 9, 2001, 1:15:30 PM8/9/01
>What is the correct extensions for
>Freehand files?

See if you can find out what version of Mac FreeHand created the files, then
add to the PC file name ".fhX" where "X" is the version number. The extension
for FreeHand 10 is, in fact, .fh10.
Bill

Ken Kehl

Aug 10, 2001, 1:00:11 PM8/10/01
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001 13:32:28 +0100, "C Malcolm"
<chris...@deletethis.hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for that, but how do I found out what version number to put? It's a
> file coming from a Mac but opening on a PC.

Open the file with a hex or a non-formatting text editor. Look at the
first four bytes of the file.

FreeHand 7 = AGD2
FreeHand 8 = AGD3
FreeHand 9 = AGD4
FreeHand 10 files will have the ASCII text FreeHand10 within the first
24 bytes
______
Ken
ellipsis design