Machinekit image for Odroid C1

GP Orcullo

Mar 14, 2015, 4:44:26 AM3/14/15
to Machinekit List
To those who have an Odroid C1, here's the link to a bootable Debian
Wheezy image: http://0ptr.link/files/OdroidC1-machinekit-1.0.img.bz2

username: mk
password: machinekit

It's running on rt-preempt kernel and no hardware drivers yet.

The good thing about this board is that the onboard nic is not
connected to the usb bus -- real-time ethernet is possible. The board
is also fast, axis is snappy and just consumes ~70%CPU of a single
core leaving plenty of spare cycles to do the rest. Not bad for a $35
board.

The bad news is that the quality of the current network driver leaves
a lot to be desired. When running under rt-preempt, the ping latency
goes through the roof! :-p

Please use a usb to lan adapter at the moment.

Cheers,

GP Orcullo

Michael Haberler

Mar 14, 2015, 4:52:31 AM3/14/15
to GP Orcullo, Machinekit List

> Am 14.03.2015 um 09:44 schrieb GP Orcullo <kinsa...@gmail.com>:
>
> To those who have an Odroid C1, here's the link to a bootable Debian
> Wheezy image: http://0ptr.link/files/OdroidC1-machinekit-1.0.img.bz2

whoa, congratulations! The first Exynos board running machinekit RT I guess?

I have a dusty Odroid-U.. will that work with that image?
and a dusty cubox-i - what's the story here?

and.. is it just me or are we picking up speed big time ;-?

- Michael

> username: mk
> password: machinekit
>
> It's running on rt-preempt kernel and no hardware drivers yet.
>
> The good thing about this board is that the onboard nic is not
> connected to the usb bus -- real-time ethernet is possible. The board
> is also fast, axis is snappy and just consumes ~70%CPU of a single
> core leaving plenty of spare cycles to do the rest. Not bad for a $35
> board.
>
> The bad news is that the quality of the current network driver leaves
> a lot to be desired. When running under rt-preempt, the ping latency
> goes through the roof! :-p
>
> Please use a usb to lan adapter at the moment.
>
> Cheers,
>
> GP Orcullo
>
> --
> website: http://www.machinekit.io blog: http://blog.machinekit.io github: https://github.com/machinekit
> ---

GP Orcullo

Mar 14, 2015, 5:33:55 AM3/14/15
to Michael Haberler, Machinekit List

On Mar 14, 2015 4:52 PM, "Michael Haberler" <mai...@mah.priv.at> wrote:

> > Am 14.03.2015 um 09:44 schrieb GP Orcullo <kinsa...@gmail.com>:
> >
> > To those who have an Odroid C1, here's the link to a bootable Debian
> > Wheezy image: http://0ptr.link/files/OdroidC1-machinekit-1.0.img.bz2
>
> whoa, congratulations! The first Exynos board running machinekit RT I guess?

It's not Exynos,  it's Amlogic :)

I gave up on U3 as I can't fix the bug-  maybe I'll get back to it until the kernel is mainlined.

There's an rt-preempt patch for Exynos though...

Charles Steinkuehler

Mar 14, 2015, 8:25:22 AM3/14/15
to machi...@googlegroups.com
On 3/14/2015 3:44 AM, GP Orcullo wrote:
> To those who have an Odroid C1, here's the link to a bootable Debian
> Wheezy image: http://0ptr.link/files/OdroidC1-machinekit-1.0.img.bz2

Great job!

> The bad news is that the quality of the current network driver leaves
> a lot to be desired. When running under rt-preempt, the ping latency
> goes through the roof! :-p

ARM performance under rt-preempt should get better as the SoC hardware
drivers get optimized for high performance SMP. Now that just about
every new ARM part being released has multiple cores, I expect
improvements will be coming quickly (particularly for vendors who are
pushing to get their drivers into mainline).

--
Charles Steinkuehler
cha...@steinkuehler.net

Dejay

Apr 10, 2015, 2:11:02 PM4/10/15
to machi...@googlegroups.com
Nice work! I'm just curious about this:

Is the Odroid C1 capable of the realtime stepper motor control like the BBB? From what I understand there are two separate microcontrollers doing that on the BBB which is one of the main reasons it's more suitable for machine control than the Raspberry Pi.

Cheers,
Dejay

GP Orcullo

Apr 10, 2015, 8:06:54 PM4/10/15
to Dejay, Machinekit List
On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 2:11 AM, Dejay <de...@r3z.me> wrote:
> Nice work! I'm just curious about this:
>
> Is the Odroid C1 capable of the realtime stepper motor control like the BBB?

No, only BBB can do that.

> From what I understand there are two separate microcontrollers doing that on
> the BBB which is one of the main reasons it's more suitable for machine
> control than the Raspberry Pi.

If you want a standalone operation with a local user interface (much
like a traditional PC setup) then the C1 and the Raspberry Pi 2 will
fit the bill. It wont work on its own though, an external hardware
based step generator is needed.

The original Raspberry Pi and BBB suffer the same issue when you start
adding an external monitor: the interface lags as the processor cannot
keep up with the load.

--
GP Orcullo

Kent Reed

Apr 11, 2015, 3:36:29 AM4/11/15
to GP Orcullo, Machinekit Mailing List, Dejay

Great news. I'll try it out as soon as I get back to the USA next week.

Regards,
Kent

GP Orcullo

Apr 11, 2015, 6:43:50 AM4/11/15
to Kent Reed, Machinekit Mailing List, Dejay
On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 3:36 PM, Kent Reed <kental...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great news. I'll try it out as soon as I get back to the USA next week.
>
> Regards,
> Kent

The image for RPi 2 is here: http://0ptr.link/files/RPi2-machinekit-1.0.img.bz2

It's using preempt-rt and the latencies are not as good as the C1 but
machinekit doesn't complain :)

Cheers

--
GP Orcullo

Kent Reed

Apr 11, 2015, 8:27:02 AM4/11/15
to GP Orcullo, Dejay, Machinekit Mailing List

Whoo hoo, the good news just keeps on coming.

Thanks,
Kent

Georg Mill

Apr 29, 2015, 2:41:55 PM4/29/15
to machi...@googlegroups.com, de...@r3z.me, kinsa...@gmail.com
Hi,
the steppers come closer to the odroid ... and so do the possibilities to use them ;-)
DIY timelapse rail with odroid-c1 and Sanyo Denki stepper motor on rt_preempt

https://blog.georgmill.de/2015/04/28/odroid-c1-with-sanyo-denki-stepper-motor-and-diy-timelapse-rail/

Thanks
Georg

Doug LaRue

Apr 29, 2015, 2:53:18 PM4/29/15
to machi...@googlegroups.com, kinsa...@gmail.com, de...@r3z.me
cool but that's a long screw. Must have been easy to source or else I'm guessing you would have went with spectra/line drive instead.

Doug

Georg Mill

May 6, 2015, 6:21:49 AM5/6/15
to machi...@googlegroups.com, kinsa...@gmail.com, de...@r3z.me

Ys, it's long. But it doesn't matter, because the result is bloody perfect. The camera itself isn't physically involved with the vibrations of the screw. The moves after each photo are very accurate (more than it would be when using a dc motor). But I've lying arround a timing belt here which only waits to be fixed on top of the timelapse dolly. Than I would have a kind of hybrid timelapse rail: Not only usable for timelapses AND focus stacking, but even to make some smooth video recording movements of the camera.
If I could get the SilentStepStick http://www.watterott.com/de/SilentStepStick running on the odroid I would be very happy. But for some reason it doesn't work yet. Maybe it's broken :-(

Georg

Doug LaRue

May 6, 2015, 11:33:38 PM5/6/15
to machi...@googlegroups.com
I tried it and something is amiss as shelling into it over the network is painfully slow.  I downloaded and booted the ubuntu 14.04.2lts image from Odroid and it's super responsive.  Anyone else run into this?

BTW, I tried updating using "sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade; sync; sudo reboot" and it wouldn't boot.

Doug

GP Orcullo

May 6, 2015, 11:39:37 PM5/6/15
to Doug LaRue, Machinekit List
On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Doug LaRue <doug....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried it and something is amiss as shelling into it over the network is
> painfully slow. I downloaded and booted the ubuntu 14.04.2lts image from
> Odroid and it's super responsive. Anyone else run into this?

Are you using my image?

There's a problem with the network driver on preempt-rt, you'll need
to use a usb lan adapter.

> BTW, I tried updating using "sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade;
> sync; sudo reboot" and it wouldn't boot.
>
> Doug
>

> On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 1:44:26 AM UTC-7, GP Orcullo wrote:
>>
>> To those who have an Odroid C1, here's the link to a bootable Debian
>> Wheezy image: http://0ptr.link/files/OdroidC1-machinekit-1.0.img.bz2
>>
>> username: mk
>> password: machinekit
>>
>> It's running on rt-preempt kernel and no hardware drivers yet.
>>
>> The good thing about this board is that the onboard nic is not
>> connected to the usb bus -- real-time ethernet is possible. The board
>> is also fast, axis is snappy and just consumes ~70%CPU of a single
>> core leaving plenty of spare cycles to do the rest. Not bad for a $35
>> board.
>>
>> The bad news is that the quality of the current network driver leaves
>> a lot to be desired. When running under rt-preempt, the ping latency
>> goes through the roof! :-p
>>
>> Please use a usb to lan adapter at the moment.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> GP Orcullo
>
> --
> website: http://www.machinekit.io blog: http://blog.machinekit.io github:
> https://github.com/machinekit
> ---

GP Orcullo

Doug LaRue

May 6, 2015, 11:44:14 PM5/6/15
to machi...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 8:39:37 PM UTC-7, GP Orcullo wrote:
On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Doug LaRue <doug....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried it and something is amiss as shelling into it over the network is
> painfully slow.  I downloaded and booted the ubuntu 14.04.2lts image from
> Odroid and it's super responsive.  Anyone else run into this?

Are you using my image?

There's a problem with the network driver on preempt-rt, you'll need
to use a usb lan adapter.

yes, using the image you posted and that would explain it. Thanks.

I'll stick with the BBB for the machine(s) and just use the Odroid to test compiling so I'll skip the rt kernel. Thanks.

Doug

GP Orcullo

May 6, 2015, 11:54:00 PM5/6/15
to Doug LaRue, Machinekit List
The RPi2 works better than the Odroid C1 at the moment. ;-)

--
GP Orcullo

Doug LaRue

May 6, 2015, 11:56:21 PM5/6/15
to machi...@googlegroups.com, doug....@gmail.com
you mean for MK or are you talking general compiling performance?

I have a rPi2 currently running OctoPrint for my other Mini Kossel still running off Marlin/Arduino...

Doug