[ANNOUNCE] For testing: Machinekit and dependency packages

John Morris

Jun 14, 2014, 12:11:02 PM6/14/14
to Machinekit Mailing List
Here's a new Machinekit package archive [1] for testing. Details about
how to use it are at that URL.

The archive includes the latest build of master from the Buildbot [2].
New commits to master will be available within 1-2 hours via 'apt-get
update; apt-get upgrade', once the Buildbot has finished building
packages and the repo is updated. This process is all automatic.

In addition, Buildbot results for not-yet-merged PRs are now available
[3]; find the latest PR build results through the '+latest' link, and
earlier results by the git commit sha.

The package archive also contains the additional package dependencies
(ZeroMQ4, etc.) needed for Michael's new Machinetalk work. Once he's
ready for testers, installing the new dependencies will be effortless.

This is all for testing right now, so please try it out and report any
problems you find. Also, I apologize for any slow downloads; this will
improve soon.

Thanks to Mick/Schooner/ArcEye and Michael for their help, and thanks
for everybody's patience!

John

[1] http://deb.dovetail-automata.com/
[2] http://buildbot.dovetail-automata.com/grid
[3] http://buildbot.dovetail-automata.com/results/

Schooner

Jun 14, 2014, 12:28:39 PM6/14/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com
Well done John

Persistence triumphed over debian snake pits at last

All 3 of us were happy to help:-P , but the result is yours alone

regards

Mick

Charles Steinkuehler

Jun 14, 2014, 12:56:36 PM6/14/14
to John Morris, Machinekit Mailing List
On 6/14/2014 11:10 AM, John Morris wrote:
> Here's a new Machinekit package archive [1] for testing. Details about
> how to use it are at that URL.
>
> [1] http://deb.dovetail-automata.com/

GREAT WORK JOHN!!! This is awesome news!

--
Charles Steinkuehler
cha...@steinkuehler.net

signature.asc

Mark Tucker

Jun 14, 2014, 1:26:35 PM6/14/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com, jo...@zultron.com
Fantastic work john !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Morris

Jun 14, 2014, 1:32:01 PM6/14/14
to Charles Steinkuehler, Machinekit Mailing List
Agh, I knew I forgot to thank someone obvious.

The new Xenomai Linux 3.8.13 packages in the repo are unified to build
amd64 and i386, and now for the first time Beaglebone kernels. If it
weren't for Charles's hard work on the Beaglebone kernel front and
hand-holding me during the kernel package and Buildbot integration, this
would never have happened.

There is an extra manual step needed on the Beaglebone to actually boot
the Beaglebone kernel packages from uBoot. Because this kernel is
essentially identical to that in Charles's Beaglebone image, there's no
urgency to switch, and thus not much pressure to solve the uBoot problem.

This IS the kernel running on the Buildbot d7-bb-xenomai test slave, so
it's ready in case it's ever needed.

John

Charles Steinkuehler

Jun 14, 2014, 1:38:23 PM6/14/14
On 6/14/2014 12:31 PM, John Morris wrote:
> Agh, I knew I forgot to thank someone obvious.
>
> The new Xenomai Linux 3.8.13 packages in the repo are unified to build
> amd64 and i386, and now for the first time Beaglebone kernels. If it
> weren't for Charles's hard work on the Beaglebone kernel front and
> hand-holding me during the kernel package and Buildbot integration, this
> would never have happened.

Wow, building all three kernels from the same source is pretty amazing!

...and I didn't have much to do with it despite what John says.

> There is an extra manual step needed on the Beaglebone to actually boot
> the Beaglebone kernel packages from uBoot. Because this kernel is
> essentially identical to that in Charles's Beaglebone image, there's no
> urgency to switch, and thus not much pressure to solve the uBoot problem.
>
> This IS the kernel running on the Buildbot d7-bb-xenomai test slave, so
> it's ready in case it's ever needed.

It ought to be possible to add an update-* hook to the kernel install
that makes for graceful hands-off kernel updates, but that's for another
time. I'm sure the short-term will be filled with switching over to
using real packages and polishing the rough edges that is sure to create.

Again, great work John!

--
Charles Steinkuehler
cha...@steinkuehler.net

signature.asc

Brandon Heller

Jun 14, 2014, 3:52:20 PM6/14/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com
Very cool!  Let's say someone gets a RevC BB with pre-installed Debian - this would set everything up, yes?

Michael Haberler

Jun 14, 2014, 4:06:42 PM6/14/14
to Brandon Heller, machi...@googlegroups.com

Am 14.06.2014 um 21:52 schrieb Brandon Heller <brandon...@gmail.com>:

> Very cool! Let's say someone gets a RevC BB with pre-installed Debian - this would set everything up, yes?

after adding John's debian repo, you should get all packages required installed via the apt-get step - including the Xenomai realtime kernel

I _think_ the only remaining step is telling uboot about the new kernel, still have to try

work still in progress: here's a snapshot of current builds at John's buildbot - we're now working the last kinks out of machinetalk-preview: http://static.mah.priv.at/public/mtalk.png

an all-green column will suggest 'resulting packages unlikely to sink the ship' ;)

master is all green anyway, the ungreen boxes are just the last remaining warts from my development branch, and some of the tests we brought over from linuxcnc arent up to snuff
> --
> website: http://www.machinekit.io blog: http://blog.machinekit.io github: https://github.com/machinekit
> ---

Charles Steinkuehler

Jun 14, 2014, 4:55:56 PM6/14/14
to John Morris, Machinekit Mailing List
On 6/14/2014 11:10 AM, John Morris wrote:
> Here's a new Machinekit package archive [1] for testing. Details about
> how to use it are at that URL.
>
> [1] http://deb.dovetail-automata.com/

I think there's a minor goof in the instructions:

* Create a file called /etc/apt/sources.list.d with the following contents:

AFAIK, /etc/apt/sources.list.d is actually a directory, and you probably
meant something like /etc/apt/sources.list.d/Machinekit.list

As for ways to help, you indicated it's problematic to add remote
systems to the buildbot, so can we do something like:

* Try to replicate the entire build-bot in a second location

* Send you machines to help with builds

* Send other donations (money, beer, coffee, ???)

...let us know!

--
Charles Steinkuehler
cha...@steinkuehler.net

signature.asc

Mark Tucker

Jun 14, 2014, 5:32:56 PM6/14/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com
Also FYI i have it running on the 2GB eMMC in sim mode anyway.
I will try the realtime stuff later

Mark Tucker

Jun 15, 2014, 4:48:16 AM6/15/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com
What is the correct instructions for the apt sources,As there is a folder /etc/apt/sources.list.d ?
If you have a xenomai kernal already installed, what is the correct instruction to get just machinekit.
Is it apt-get install machinekit without the xenomai.
As i stated i installed the posix flavour last night on the eMMC but would like to try the realtime version.

Schooner

Jun 15, 2014, 6:14:41 AM6/15/14
to Machinekit Mailing List
Hi

You can do it 2 ways

Either add the lines to /etc/apt/sources.list

Or add a file containing the deb lines to /etc/apt/sources.list.d called
say machinekit.list

Both will work, packages needing access via apt usually do the latter
because it is easier to just remove a complete file than try to edit
a file containing other valid entries, when it is removed.

I don't know if the binary machinekit will work with another version of
xenomai, it should be run with the version it was compiled against I
would have thought, that is certainly very much the case for rtai

regards
> --
> website: http://www.machinekit.io blog: http://blog.machinekit.io
> github: https://github.com/machinekit
> ---

Schooner

Jun 15, 2014, 6:24:18 AM6/15/14
to Machinekit Mailing List
If it assists, this is a modified instruction, each line of which can
just be cut and pasted to create the required file

Configuring the package archive

* Create a file called */etc/apt/sources.list.d/machinekit.list* :
* |sudo echo "# Machinekit package archive tracking the master branch"
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/machinekit.list
sudo echo "# From the Dovetail Automata LLC Buildbot" >>
|||/etc/apt/sources.list.d/machinekit.list|

* |sudo echo "deb http://deb.dovetail-automata.com wheezy main" >>
|||/etc/apt/sources.list.d/machinekit.list|

* |sudo echo "deb-src http://deb.dovetail-automata.com wheezy main" >>
||/etc/apt/sources.list.d/machinekit.list|
*

* Update the apt cache:
|apt-get update |

|regards|

Mark Tucker

Jun 15, 2014, 6:29:46 AM6/15/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com
Hmm now i am confused?

It mentions on the web page:-
"Note that while there is a beaglebone kernel, it's easier to use that
one shipped with the Machinekit Beaglebone images. It is nearly
identical, and the packages in this archive currently require an extra
step to boot from uBoot"

Schooner

Jun 15, 2014, 6:32:01 AM6/15/14
to Machinekit Mailing List
That didn't work properly!

Without all the stray formatting chars

sudo echo "# Machinekit package archive tracking the master branch" >
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/machinekit.list
sudo echo "# From the Dovetail Automata LLC Buildbot" >>
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/machinekit.list
sudo echo "deb http://deb.dovetail-automata.com wheezy main" >>
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/machinekit.list
||sudo echo "deb-src http://deb.dovetail-automata.com wheezy main >>
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/machinekit.list

sudo apt-get update

Alexander Rössler

Jun 15, 2014, 7:08:15 AM6/15/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com
On the website it says "Create a file called /etc/apt/sources.list.d with the following contents:"
Which should be corrected.

For one of my applications I had the same "problem". Adding deb repositories is not straightforward. I would recommend to take a look at the install Ubuntu instructions generated by the Open Build Service. (see e.g. http://qremote.org/download.php#Download -> Ubuntu)

They are as easy as possible.
So here is the one line command:

sudo sh -c "echo '# Machinekit package archive tracking the master branch\n# From the Dovetail Automata LLC Buildbot\ndeb http://deb.dovetail-automata.com wheezy main\ndeb-src http://deb.dovetail-automata.com wheezy main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/machinekit.list"

Mark Tucker

Jun 15, 2014, 7:51:57 AM6/15/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com
Adding a file machinekit.list with the sources in it to the /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory works fine.
Just set up another eMMC install but still can not get the realtime version,only the posix version.
But again it runs without fault on a 2gb eMMC with a chopped down image from RCN.
--
website: http://www.machinekit.io blog: http://blog.machinekit.io github: https://github.com/machinekit
---

Charles Steinkuehler

Jun 15, 2014, 8:10:15 AM6/15/14
to Schooner, Machinekit Mailing List
On 6/15/2014 5:13 AM, Schooner wrote:

> I don't know if the binary machinekit will work with another version of
> xenomai, it should be run with the version it was compiled against I
> would have thought, that is certainly very much the case for rtai

Xenomai is more like Linux than RTAI in this respect, the kernel API is
very stable and you can switch kernels (and actually various major
versions of Xenomai) without having to recompile user-land code.

So any code for the BeagleBone will happily run with John's packaged
kernel or any of the kernels I compiled.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
cha...@steinkuehler.net

signature.asc

John Morris

Jun 16, 2014, 1:29:24 AM6/16/14
to Machinekit Mailing List

On 06/14/2014 03:55 PM, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> On 6/14/2014 11:10 AM, John Morris wrote:
>> Here's a new Machinekit package archive [1] for testing. Details about
>> how to use it are at that URL.
>>
>> [1] http://deb.dovetail-automata.com/
>
> I think there's a minor goof in the instructions:
>
> * Create a file called /etc/apt/sources.list.d with the following contents:
>
> AFAIK, /etc/apt/sources.list.d is actually a directory, and you probably
> meant something like /etc/apt/sources.list.d/Machinekit.list

Whoops! Thanks for the catch; updated.

> As for ways to help, you indicated it's problematic to add remote
> systems to the buildbot, so can we do something like:
>
> * Try to replicate the entire build-bot in a second location

This is a horrible job only for masochists or those going in without
knowing what they were destined for (I'm in the latter group). The
configuration is published (behind a bit) in case someone wishes for
punishment or I'm hit by a bus:

https://github.com/zultron/machinekit-buildbot

> * Send you machines to help with builds

All set here, and have a spare BBB destined either for Jessie or Fedora
testing.

> * Send other donations (money, beer, coffee, ???)
>
> ...let us know!

I sure appreciate the offer!

The Buildbot is mostly set for now (knock on wood!). If there are
arguments for platforms absent that would greatly benefit Machinekit,
let me know. Jessie is definitely on the list.

BTW, EL6 and Fedora builds are offline until I work out the additional
package deps for Michael's new work, but their revival is low-prio at
the moment, especially now that MK has several new out-of-distro
dependencies that take us a little further from official packages.

John

John Morris

Jun 16, 2014, 1:45:43 AM6/16/14
to Charles Steinkuehler, Schooner, Machinekit Mailing List
Yes, this applies to Xenomai *userland* threads. The same application
built against e.g. Xenomai 2.6.2.1 headers should run on any kernel
patched with e.g. Xenomai 2.6.3 or 2.6.4; the Xenomai ABI shouldn't
change within 2.6. (That reminds me to work out the correct Provides:
and Depends: for this; see issue #223.)

Xenomai kernel threads (deprecated) follow RTAI in this regard, and I
haven't worked out how to manage kernel ABIs at this point, so kmodules
must match the exact kernel whose headers they were compiled against.

John

John Morris

Jun 16, 2014, 2:09:21 AM6/16/14
to Alexander Rössler, machi...@googlegroups.com
On 06/15/2014 06:08 AM, Alexander Rössler wrote:
> On the website it says "Create a file called
> */etc/apt/sources.list.d* with the following contents:"
(Still going through email backlog)

I went with this method, definitely optimal. Thanks!

John