ANNOUNCE: Machinekit Meetup - June 28/29, Madison WI

Charles Steinkuehler

Jun 9, 2014, 5:43:58 PM6/9/14
to Machinekit Mailing List
We are pleased to invite anyone interested to the first "real world"
Machinekit meeting, taking place on June 28/29 at the Tormach facility
in Madison, Wisconsin (USA).

Please feel free to join us - share your plans, exchange experience, and
help shape the future of Machinekit!

There is no specific agenda, although Michael Haberler has promised an
introductory talk and demo of the new Machinetalk infrastructure. And
I'm sure the Tormach folks could be talked into providing a tour of the
facilities. There might even be a 3D printer or two... :)

More venue and agenda details will be posted shortly, so watch for
details, and speak up if you're planning to attend. So far most folks
are arriving sometime Friday and leaving sometime Sunday.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
cha...@steinkuehler.net

signature.asc

Eren Basturk

Jun 10, 2014, 8:45:11 AM6/10/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com
That is really good. If it is possible could share next event  two or three months ago before starting because getting US visa takes more than one month.

Thanks a lot

Charles Steinkuehler

Jun 10, 2014, 10:36:46 AM6/10/14
to Eren Basturk, machi...@googlegroups.com
Yes, apologies for the late notice, but this really only got firmed up a
couple days ago, mostly as a result of a few folks tweaking their
existing summer vacation plans.

We definitely need more notice all around for the next one!

--
Charles Steinkuehler
cha...@steinkuehler.net

signature.asc

TJoseph Powderly

Jun 10, 2014, 11:51:03 PM6/10/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com
Thx Charles
Thx Michael
will try to attend
i put a notice in the irc
tomp tjtr33

Brandon Heller

Jun 11, 2014, 3:13:04 AM6/11/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested in seeing Michael's talk remotely.  Will it be possible to livestream this, possibly with a Google hangout for easier interaction?

Drew Fustini

Jun 11, 2014, 3:23:17 AM6/11/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com
Hi - I'm a BBB enthusiast and a beginner with LinuxCNC.  I'm interested in Michael's talk and live in Chicago so I could reasonably make it (~3 hours).  I'm guessing it would be on that Saturday most likely?  I would consider staying in Madison on Friday night if it is in the morning or staying on Saturday night if the talk is later in the day on Saturday.

thanks,
drew

Eren Basturk

Jun 11, 2014, 4:42:24 AM6/11/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com
Yes that is good idea, I would like to join as remotely if will you create a  connection via Google hangout or another software

Michael Haberler

Jun 11, 2014, 4:52:19 AM6/11/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:23:17 AM UTC+2, Drew Fustini wrote:
Hi - I'm a BBB enthusiast and a beginner with LinuxCNC.  I'm interested in Michael's talk and live in Chicago so I could reasonably make it (~3 hours).  I'm guessing it would be on that Saturday most likely?  I would consider staying in Madison on Friday night if it is in the morning or staying on Saturday night if the talk is later in the day on Saturday.

well, I'm flattered and will do my very best ;)

Any materials will certainly be available (examples and slides) - pretty sure we can do a skype broadcast and a recording

Now that we're talking about it.. I guess I might ask Alex to do a video of the 'Hello World' QtQuickVCP UI  creation process

If I have a choice, I would tick 'morning hours' (coming in from Europe on friday), ideally sunday morning which would leave some time for setup

but I'll be convinced otherwise

- Michael

ps: now that there's proof of actual interest in what we're doing (at least outside the linuxCNC project ;) - the machinetalk effort is essentially phase 2 of a ten-year makeover of the LinuxCNC infrastructure and builds on phase 1 - which was the 'machineroom' layer: build and runtime support for new platforms and realtime operating systems. In case you're interested in the lower decks: here's a previous talk on the portable Realtime API: http://static.mah.priv.at/public/portable-realtime-API-talk/

Still hope to get to rearranging deck chairs this year ;)

Alexander Rössler

Jun 11, 2014, 10:46:08 AM6/11/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com
I could also do a live introduction to QtQuickVcp if you want. Sunday morning is okay.

Michael Haberler

Jun 11, 2014, 11:13:46 AM6/11/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com

Am 11.06.2014 um 16:46 schrieb Alexander Rössler <mail.ar...@gmail.com>:

> I could also do a live introduction to QtQuickVcp if you want. Sunday morning is okay.

we just tried a Skype screensharing session from Alex's iMac - works great, decent voice quality quite responsive

-m
> --
> website: http://www.machinekit.io blog: http://blog.machinekit.io github: https://github.com/machinekit
> ---

Bas de Bruijn

Jun 11, 2014, 11:14:59 AM6/11/14
to habe...@gmail.com, machi...@googlegroups.com, Alexander Rössler
On 11 Jun 2014, at 10:52, Michael Haberler <habe...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:23:17 AM UTC+2, Drew Fustini wrote:
Hi - I'm a BBB enthusiast and a beginner with LinuxCNC.  I'm interested in Michael's talk and live in Chicago so I could reasonably make it (~3 hours).  I'm guessing it would be on that Saturday most likely?  I would consider staying in Madison on Friday night if it is in the morning or staying on Saturday night if the talk is later in the day on Saturday.

well, I'm flattered and will do my very best ;)

Any materials will certainly be available (examples and slides) - pretty sure we can do a skype broadcast and a recording

Now that we're talking about it.. I guess I might ask Alex to do a video of the 'Hello World' QtQuickVCP UI  creation process

If I have a choice, I would tick 'morning hours' (coming in from Europe on friday), ideally sunday morning which would leave some time for setup

I’m not in the position time wise to travel to the USA, But I would like to see your and Alexanders video. If you know more about how and what, and what european time I’d like to tune in.

Bas

On Monday, June 9, 2014 4:43:58 PM UTC-5, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
We are pleased to invite anyone interested to the first "real world"
Machinekit meeting, taking place on June 28/29 at the Tormach facility
in Madison, Wisconsin (USA).

Robert Ellenberg

Jun 11, 2014, 1:17:57 PM6/11/14
to Bas de Bruijn, habe...@gmail.com, machi...@googlegroups.com, Alexander Rössler
Hi All,

This is exciting! I'm attending as well for all of Saturday and Sunday morning. See you all there!

-Rob

Tom M

Jun 12, 2014, 12:46:06 AM6/12/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com, b...@basdebruijn.com, habe...@gmail.com, mail.ar...@gmail.com
This sounds really interesting...  I think my weekend as free at this point and I plan to attend??   Any type of reservation required or just show up?

Eren Basturk

Jun 12, 2014, 4:42:30 AM6/12/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com
I could also do a live introduction to QtQuickVcp if you want. Sunday morning is okay.

I think that many people want to see QtQucikVCP . If you do a live introducction to QtQucikVcp, it would be great.

Daniel Rogge

Jun 12, 2014, 5:46:13 PM6/12/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com

Tom,

No reservations are needed with us – but it is nice if you let us know so we can have a rough idea of how many people to expect.  If you are looking for lodging, I put together a list of the following options:

Holiday Inn – They have a free shuttle that will take you to and pick you up from our building.  This is the hotel that people taking our CNC classes stay in.  Website: http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/madison/msntc/hoteldetail/directions

Rob is staying at the Days Inn and has rented a car.  I don’t know anything about the hotel other than Rob has booked a room there already.  Website: http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/wisconsin/windsor/days-inn-madison-northeast/maps-directions

Baymont Inn and Suites – this is the closest option, only a ¼ mile walk to our facility.  We got some bad reviews from guests that we have put here in the past, so we stopped using them (this was a year ago or more – they may have changed their ways).  http://www.baymontinns.com/hotels/wisconsin/waunakee/baymont-inn-and-suites-waunakee/hotel-overview

Alternately, there are many hotels in downtown Madison if you want to see the city.

Please feel free to email me directly if you have any lodging questions.

Daniel Rogge

Drew Fustini

Jun 12, 2014, 6:44:00 PM6/12/14
to Daniel Rogge, machi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, just wanted to mention in case it helps others, I booked the Grandstay nearby that Holiday Inn for $79/night on Priceline:

Alexander Rössler

Jun 13, 2014, 12:36:51 PM6/13/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com
Sunday morning should be Sunday afternoon here in Europe.

Bas de Bruijn

Jun 15, 2014, 7:49:57 AM6/15/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com
Any info on how to join the video stream, and maybe a time?
Bas

Bas de Bruijn

Jun 15, 2014, 7:57:21 AM6/15/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com

On 15 Jun 2014, at 13:49, Bas de Bruijn <b...@basdebruijn.com> wrote:

> Any info on how to join the video stream, and maybe a time?

Oops, I must still be asleep. Today is waaaaaaaaaaay to early…. I’ll see times etc. when they are known

Michael Haberler

Jun 15, 2014, 7:59:57 AM6/15/14
to Bas de Bruijn, machi...@googlegroups.com

Am 15.06.2014 um 13:49 schrieb Bas de Bruijn <b...@basdebruijn.com>:

> Any info on how to join the video stream, and maybe a time?
> Bas

we're currently looking at Sunday 9 AM local to start, so that would be 15:00 UTC (for us boat people;: Madison is Central Time Zone (UTC-06:00) )

I guess the proper sequence is I do the machinetalk tutorial and then Alex demonstrates how to do a QtQUickVCP app, hoping we wind up around lunch time

I tried with Skype screensharing from Alex's Mac, and I could do the same on site

I am fuzzy if this is the right tool for the job - I'm a bit concerned this will not work too great if many people connect, so still looking for other methods

just exploring Google Hangout with a Youtube screencast, see how that goes

-m

Bas de Bruijn

Jun 15, 2014, 8:42:06 AM6/15/14
to Michael Haberler, machi...@googlegroups.com

On 15 Jun 2014, at 13:59, Michael Haberler <mai...@mah.priv.at> wrote:

> Am 15.06.2014 um 13:49 schrieb Bas de Bruijn <b...@basdebruijn.com>:
>
>> Any info on how to join the video stream, and maybe a time?
>> Bas
>
> we're currently looking at Sunday 9 AM local to start, so that would be 15:00 UTC (for us boat people;: Madison is Central Time Zone (UTC-06:00) )
>
> I guess the proper sequence is I do the machinetalk tutorial and then Alex demonstrates how to do a QtQUickVCP app, hoping we wind up around lunch time
>
> I tried with Skype screensharing from Alex's Mac, and I could do the same on site
>
> I am fuzzy if this is the right tool for the job - I'm a bit concerned this will not work too great if many people connect, so still looking for other methods
>
> just exploring Google Hangout with a Youtube screencast, see how that goes

If you want to test this out with more than 1 people joining a few days up front then let me know if I can help.
Bas

Alexander Rössler

Jun 15, 2014, 9:01:20 AM6/15/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com, b...@basdebruijn.com
This here looks intersting: http://openmeetings.apache.org/

el...@pico-systems.com

Jun 18, 2014, 1:24:01 PM6/18/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com, dro...@tormach.com

On Thursday, June 12, 2014 4:46:13 PM UTC-5, Daniel Rogge wrote:

No reservations are needed with us – but it is nice if you let us know so we can have a rough idea of how many people to expect.  If you are looking for lodging, I put together a list of the following options:

Daniel,

I'm trying to arrange something with Tom M.  to drive together from his place.  So, we'd be arriving sometime Friday
evening, probably too late for the dinner planned then.  I expect to stay until the crew disbands on Sunday.

Jon

Jason Kridner

Jun 25, 2014, 1:52:05 PM6/25/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning on arriving late Friday, but probably won't be available until things get started on Saturday afternoon.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
cha...@steinkuehler.net

e...@kineticsandelectronics.com

Jun 25, 2014, 3:57:28 PM6/25/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com

I'm Ed Bennett, member of hackerspace Pumping Station One in Chicago. I'm interested in learning about Machinekit as a motion control system component for general  mechatronics. I'm be at your presentation tomorrow night. Is there still space at the meetup in Madison this weekend?

-Ed

Michael Haberler

Jun 25, 2014, 5:11:27 PM6/25/14
to e...@kineticsandelectronics.com, machi...@googlegroups.com

Am 25.06.2014 um 21:57 schrieb e...@kineticsandelectronics.com:

> I'm Ed Bennett, member of hackerspace Pumping Station One in Chicago. I'm interested in learning about Machinekit as a motion control system component for general mechatronics. I'm be at your presentation tomorrow night. Is there still space at the meetup in Madison this weekend?

while our kind host, Daniel Rogge of Tormach, has the final word, I'd suggest to just show up - I dont think there'll be space problems

on your general mechatronics idea:

The current motion control component is rather monolithic and hard to use in a context outside the linuxCNC application (in fact I'm not aware anybody has done that); thats a pity because the rest - HAL and components - is very flexible, and due to the portable realtime API machinekit runs on every washer and dryer (well almost ;)

Robert Ellenberg recently has put a lot of work into better motion blending in motion's trajectory planner, and he's going to talk about that on Saturday afternoon

Rob and me have been discussing a related idea offlist, since making motion control more generally usable is very much what I''m after, because there are so many applications which could benefit

So, instead of layering yet more functions on the existing motion component, we re pondering to start a new one, tentatively called 'minimot'

- it would pretty much be just Rob's planner, but avoiding some of the design issues of motion; most of it would run in user space and only a minimal part - the segment executor - in realtime land
- it would tie into the machinetalk facilities from day one, giving it a Python, C++ and JSON/websockets API right away
- it might not immediately tie into the LinuxCNC application (we have motion for that), but rather be (initially) a vehicle to explore some fresh ideas; for instance the concept of each motion command tagged with a kinematics to apply, which would get rid of the modal operation of motion (either joint or axis moves, but switching between them requires a reset which cant be done on the fly)
- it would probably a better starting point for general motion applications rather than the existing motion module.

We hope to discuss this a bit in Madison, aiming to map a rough path. Also, the machinetalk tutorial will have one example which demonstrates how to talk to such an animal using machinetalk; the only thing missing being minimot proper as somebody still has do write it.

Happy to take on folks who want to learn to develop engine-room fittings ;)

- Michael

> -Ed
>
> On Monday, June 9, 2014 4:43:58 PM UTC-5, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> We are pleased to invite anyone interested to the first "real world"
> Machinekit meeting, taking place on June 28/29 at the Tormach facility
> in Madison, Wisconsin (USA).
>
> Please feel free to join us - share your plans, exchange experience, and
> help shape the future of Machinekit!
>
> There is no specific agenda, although Michael Haberler has promised an
> introductory talk and demo of the new Machinetalk infrastructure. And
> I'm sure the Tormach folks could be talked into providing a tour of the
> facilities. There might even be a 3D printer or two... :)
>
> More venue and agenda details will be posted shortly, so watch for
> details, and speak up if you're planning to attend. So far most folks
> are arriving sometime Friday and leaving sometime Sunday.
>
> --
> Charles Steinkuehler
> cha...@steinkuehler.net

Ed Bennett

Jun 25, 2014, 9:15:29 PM6/25/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com
Cool. Thanks.

Tom M

Jun 26, 2014, 1:48:48 PM6/26/14
to machi...@googlegroups.com, dro...@tormach.com
Just to confirm.. I'm carpooling with Jon Elson Friday afternoon and be meeting up with Brad Collette aka sliptonic in Madison.  We're staying at the Days inn.  I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and learning all there is about machinekit.

Where/when is everyone meeting up on friday?

Tom

Daniel Rogge

Jun 26, 2014, 1:55:01 PM6/26/14
to Tom M, machi...@googlegroups.com

Tom and all,

A few people arriving early Friday afternoon will be dropping by Tormach to try to help get some of the A/V set up for webcasts on Saturday.  Anyone who wants to drop by Friday afternoon should feel free to do so, but there isn’t anything planned other than trying to work out the kinks in screencasting the talks that will be given on Sat/Sun.

Anyone who wants to meet up for dinner Friday night should come to the Ale Asylum brew pub: https://www.google.com/maps/preview?ie=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=us&cid=15816846913056249933&q=Ale+Asylum&ei=SF2sU4CaK4ahyATUw4FA&ved=0CLgBEPwSMA8

7:00 PM sounds like a reasonable dinner time – late enough to allow some late-comers to join us but not so late that people will go starving.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me directly or post to the list.

Rogge

Visit Tormach On the Web
Tormach LLC
1071 Uniek Drive
Waunakee, WI 53597
www.tormach.com

Visit Tormach On Facebook   Visit Tormach On YouTube   Follow Tormach On Twitter   Subscribe to the Tormach Blog RSS
Sign up for our newsletter at
www.tormach.com/blog/

Jason Kridner

Jun 30, 2014, 6:58:14 PM6/30/14
to Charles Steinkuehler, Machinekit Mailing List

Charles Steinkuehler

Jun 30, 2014, 11:29:29 PM6/30/14
to Jason Kridner, Machinekit Mailing List
Looks GREAT! Thanks Jason!!!

In related news, I got home and realized I didn't take a single photo
the entire trip! <gasp>

So...if you've got some pictures or video, send a link to the list and
I'll try to collect all the links into a blog post.
--
Charles Steinkuehler
cha...@steinkuehler.net

signature.asc