Global Game Jam at LVL1

Mike Revel

Jan 14, 2014, 9:00:59 PM1/14/14
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Those interested in participating at the Global Game Jam here at LVL1 should either respond in this thread or email me directly at mjr...@gmail.com.

What is Global Game Jam?

http://globalgamejam.org

Mike Revel

Jan 14, 2014, 9:07:04 PM1/14/14
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Also, you will need to create an account at http://globalgamejam.org. You can also directly join our jam after completing registration at http://globalgamejam.org/2014/jam-sites/lvl1-hackerspace-game-jam

Alex Bezuska

Jan 15, 2014, 1:28:34 AM1/15/14
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mike, thanks for creating this, I have also created a small webpage we can use to promote the event and re-route people to the right places to sign-up: http://louisvilleglobalgamejam.github.io/

Let me know if you think I need to add anything/change anything.  And I will change the "i will be there" link to go to http://globalgamejam.org/2014/jam-sites/lvl1-hackerspace-game-jam once their page is working.  Thanks again, this is going to be awesome!

Travis

Jan 15, 2014, 9:44:27 AM1/15/14
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Is there a place to see the rules of this event? For example are you allowed t use a engine and if so which ones, also say if it was 3d are you allowed to use assets that have been made already or do you need to create everything from scratch during the event?

Mike Revel

Jan 15, 2014, 11:04:24 AM1/15/14
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Meeting with the main coordinator tonight before 6pm. Along with getting approval our location I'll check up on any additional rules. in the mean time here's a list of FAQ's http://globalgamejam.org/faq

Mike Revel

Jan 15, 2014, 12:23:45 PM1/15/14
to lv...@googlegroups.com
We're approved.

Alex Bezuska

Jan 15, 2014, 12:43:21 PM1/15/14
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Awesome Mike!  Can we figure out a time for you and your group, Eric, and I to meet up and see what we need to do to plan/prepare?

I can bring food/snacks/drinks and help facilitate and I am also realty excited to participate.

Thanks again.
-Alex

    Alex Bezuska

    Eric Lathrop

    Jan 15, 2014, 11:00:37 PM1/15/14
    to lv...@googlegroups.com
    I'm going to be there!

    Charles Waddell

    Jan 15, 2014, 11:42:22 PM1/15/14
    to lv...@googlegroups.com
    I'm in! Unless told otherwise :)

    timk

    Jan 18, 2014, 6:51:09 PM1/18/14
    to lv...@googlegroups.com
    Great to see a Louisville jam group!

    Lexington's game developer group, Run Jump Dev, is hosting a GGJ location, too: http://runjumpdev.org/events/ggj2014/

    One week 'til launch; good luck, all.

    -Tim

    Bill Merkley

    Jan 20, 2014, 1:32:01 PM1/20/14
    to lv...@googlegroups.com
    FYI, site is down.
    capture2.JPG

    Joseph Dukes

    Jan 20, 2014, 2:15:16 PM1/20/14
    to lv...@googlegroups.com
    My time is very limited this weekend, but I'd like to stop by and see what you guys/gals end up working on. I'm guessing I won't need to register on globalgamejam.org to do that.
    Joe

    Alexis 'Rose' Tallent

    Jan 21, 2014, 12:08:24 AM1/21/14
    to lv...@googlegroups.com
    For some reason I had been mistaken about which weekend it is. I'll be at Ohayocon for this one, sadly, so I'm going to have to sit this out.

    Mike Revel

    Jan 21, 2014, 1:37:45 PM1/21/14
    to lv...@googlegroups.com
    Nope, feel free to stop on by.

    Mike Revel

    Jan 21, 2014, 1:38:28 PM1/21/14
    to lv...@googlegroups.com
    It's back up now.

    Alex Bezuska

    Jan 21, 2014, 2:13:39 PM1/21/14
    to lv...@googlegroups.com
    It's probably going to be getting hit hard this week.

    Joseph Dukes

    Jan 26, 2014, 5:52:46 PM1/26/14
    to lv...@googlegroups.com
    Just finished playing 2 of the 3 games (I can't play Kinectomancer). Harpy Slayer Saga gave me motion sickness within a minute or two, so I had to give up on the maze. I typically can't watch anything in 3D or shot in 1st-person. I spent 90% of Avatar 3D hiding under my hat and I have gotten sick more than once because of shaky camerawork.
    Apartment 213 was fun. I'm still not sure what I was trying to get the cat to do. Was he/she leading the owl to do dishes? Regardless, I laughed several times during the game. I liked the background scenery and changes made on each level. I may have to hang an egg and bacon picture on my living room wall.
    Joe

    Joseph Dukes

    Jan 26, 2014, 5:59:18 PM1/26/14
    to lv...@googlegroups.com
    I figured out what the cat is supposed to do. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't played. The whole thing has me cracking up.
    Joe

    Brian Wagner

    Jan 27, 2014, 8:32:48 AM1/27/14
    to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
    Where can I play these games?  Was game jam a sucess?

    travis garrison

    Jan 27, 2014, 8:34:20 AM1/27/14
    to lv...@googlegroups.com

    Alex Bezuska

    Jan 27, 2014, 10:18:08 AM1/27/14
    to lv...@googlegroups.com
    Thanks for the comments and interest in our game!  And thank you Joe for your review, I am glad you enjoyed it,  We will probably go back and refine it a bit later.
    This was my first time co-hosting a hack-a-thon/game-jam event and I could not have hoped for better.
    I had a fantastic time and the best part was getting to know so many people from Louisville interested in making games, and seeing everyone work so well together. Thanks again to everyone who came, my team who I bonded over an all-nighter/nearly went delirious/pulled though, and of course Lvl1 for being so accommodating to a LONG event in their space!  You all rock!