OPEN CALL: Class Ideas for May

Jessica Elle

Apr 23, 2017, 1:25:14 PM4/23/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Want to host a class?

I'm planning to start up an event calendar that we release a week prior to the new month. This week we'll be re-launching our social media campaigns in addition to increased marketing for classes and other LVL1 events. My goal is for each class to get exposure on standard social channels, Reddit, Do502, and local media at a consistent rate so non-members will always have a heads up on what to expect.

Send me an email with your class idea, what days/times you'd like to host it, how much you're charging, and a basic summary of what the class entails. If it's a potentially repeatable class that we can schedule for every month or fortnight, similar to Terry's cutting board classes, it'll be even better.

This week I'll be collecting classes for MAY. The deadline to enter your class for the calendar is Thursday, April 27th, to give time for marketing pushes.

Andy Miller

Apr 24, 2017, 3:46:16 PM4/24/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I'd love to learn to use the Lathe

Jessica Elle

Apr 24, 2017, 5:04:43 PM4/24/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I think it'd be a lot of fun to host a lathe class, but I wish we had more lathes (even cheap mini ones) that students can use. It'll be hard to take home a project when only one person can be on a lathe at once. I'll try to see if there's a solution around since it'd be fun to do a pen or yo-yo class.

Joshua Wilson

Apr 25, 2017, 3:49:11 AM4/25/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Would anyone be interested in doing another hacking class/ workshop? I missed the last one. Ithe would be fun to do a CTF at the end

Brian Wagner

Apr 25, 2017, 8:50:03 AM4/25/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
LETS GET SOME WORKSHOPS SCHEDULED!

I will host a class on beginning programming May 15th from 7-9 pm.  Bring your own laptop that is capable of connecting to our wifi network and internet.  We will be going though the lessons on KhanAcademy which is what I used to teach programming to students at KCD.  Again it is a beginning programming class.  It is in the Processing language which is like Javascript, C and the Arduino language so it is useful after the class.  Learn the basics of programming without getting frustrated because I will be there to debug and help you along!  And because it is using KhanAcademy you can continue learning after the class is over at your own pace.  Cost: $5.00  CHEAP!

Brian
LVL1 Grand Nagus

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 3:49 AM, Joshua Wilson <joshuawi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Would anyone be interested in doing another hacking class/ workshop? I missed the last one. Ithe would be fun to do a CTF at the end

Message has been deleted

Micah "Meesh" Burkhardt

Apr 25, 2017, 12:09:35 PM4/25/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I would be willing to teach some Music Theory, and how to use and enjoy Digital Audio Workstations, such as LMMS, Fruityloops, Abelton, and Protools. Possibly two different classes pending on the separation of the crowd. Pricing would be cheap.

Jessica Elle

Apr 25, 2017, 12:32:21 PM4/25/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Meesh, that would be really cool - I'd personally be down to take an Ableton class or two. If you'll be at the meeting today, we can get together and try to map some stuff out on a calendar since I'll be adding everyone else's May classes in.

David Ortiz-Grob

Apr 25, 2017, 3:15:47 PM4/25/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Re: lathe classes, the problem of only having the one tool is why I've been offering my machine img class on demand. If there is interest I could probably do 3-4 people in a weekend if we could stagger the scheduling

McCarthy, Patrick (GE Appliances, Non-GE)

Apr 25, 2017, 4:06:48 PM4/25/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com

About those “Cheap Mini Lathes”   Do NOT, under any circumstances, try to get/use the Mini Lathes from Harbor Freight.

Gearing = Plastic Parts

Motor = WEAK

Weak = whenever I touched the cutting tool to the piece, the lathe would just stall after about 2 revolutions… I should note that the motor did not stall as much once the gears stripped(after just one evening of attempting to make SOMETHING with it)… ummm…. Yeah….

Patrick McCarthy

Office 502-452-4071

Mobile 502-939-1756

Jessica Elle

David Ortiz-Grob

Andy Miller

Apr 25, 2017, 10:03:19 PM4/25/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I think that is a wonderful idea

On Apr 25, 2017 8:36 PM, "David Ortiz-Grob" <david.or...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just spoke with Jess and it looks like she's talking about the small wood lathes, not the C3 lathe that SIEG makes for horrible freight, jet griz etc. I think they will work well enough for pen turning but I don't have much experience with them. I will investigate.

Mark Truitt

Apr 26, 2017, 3:24:25 AM4/26/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
A class on circuits and wiring would be cool. I know a little bit, but I'd love to learn more.

Joshua Wilson

Apr 26, 2017, 8:49:39 AM4/26/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I would be down for that too!

ginnyjollykidd .

May 2, 2017, 8:12:02 AM5/2/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I like this idea of learning the lathe.
Yours,
Ginny

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace" group.

ginnyjollykidd .

Tim VanSant

May 2, 2017, 11:05:46 AM5/2/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
RE a class on circuits and wiring, can I assume that means small, low power circuits like what might be used with Arduino and Raspberry Pi? (Or 120VAC like what's used in your homes? Or both?)

I might be willing to teach it.

ginnyjollykidd .

May 2, 2017, 6:20:54 PM5/2/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to do that, too. Budget will be tight for a while, but if an Arduino or Raspberry PI is done a few months down the road, I might be able to purchase my own by then.

Perhaps as the schedule is developed, people can shout out where they can get a module for inexpensive.

Yours in newbie - dom,
Ginny Jolly ☺️

On May 2, 2017 11:05 AM, "Tim VanSant" <tvan...@gmail.com> wrote:
RE a class on circuits and wiring, can I assume that means small, low power circuits like what might be used with Arduino and Raspberry Pi? (Or 120VAC like what's used in your homes? Or both?)

I might be willing to teach it.

Greg Miller

May 3, 2017, 9:01:07 AM5/3/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
You can get a compatible Arduino Uno clone for under $4 shipped. The
only difference is with the clones you usually have to install the CH340
drivers rather than the FTDI drivers, and they can be found just
Googling for it.
e.g.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PC-2016-Mini-CH340-NEW-USB-HOT-Board-UNO-R3-ATmega328P-for-Compatible-Arduino-/231949412349?hash=item36014327fd:g:AhsAAOSw8vZXOPI8
And the driver:
http://sparks.gogo.co.nz/ch340.html

The Raspberry Pi is a bit tougher as there are no drop in replacements,
but there's a lot of boards that are close. You can hold out and try to
get a Raspberry Pi Zero if you can find them in stock. IMHO, the
closest/cheapest RPi like device is the Orange Pi Lite, about $16
shipped. But two differences that might be a problem are that you can't
power it through the USB port, you either have to use the power
connector on the board or the GPIO pins. And the Python libraries are
slightly different, so any code you see for the RPi will have to be
altered to work on the Orange Pi. IMHO, if you're a beginner, it's best
to save up and buy a full Raspberry Pi 3, so you don't have to spend
hours wondering if you need to do something differently than documented
or if you're just doing it wrong.

ginnyjollykidd .

May 11, 2017, 10:05:15 AM5/11/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks
Ginny☺️

Rachel Carrigan Chancy

May 11, 2017, 11:36:10 AM5/11/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I'd love a class on Arduino/Raspberry Pi (I assume they are very similar). I just got an Arduino starter kit and the directions for each project are crap. I'd love to work through them as a group. This website sometimes has these kits for about $50.

--
Rachel

Ben Hibben

May 13, 2017, 7:39:13 PM5/13/17
to lvl1
The arduino and Raspberry Pi are actually pretty distinct despite being roughly the same size and not too terribly different in price.

In short the Arduino is a microcontroller that can only run the code that is loaded on it; typically this is a simple program limited in scope and scale by the available hardware, which is much more limited than the Raspberry Pi.  It has the advantage that it uses less power and can react faster to certain types of events in certain scenarios.

The Pi, on the other hand is a small linux computer.  It carries all the overhead of an operating system but also brings all the capabilities of an operating system.

There are a lot of projects where you could technically use either to accomplish the goal but some where only one or the other is best suited.  If you need something to operate a long time on batteries you would want an arduino if possible.  If you want something to have a large touchscreen you can play video on you're probably better off with a Raspberry Pi (though small screens can be used on Arduinos).

Both are great fun and there are many folks at LVL1 who will be happy to show you what these little devices are capable of, including myself!

Blenster

ja...@amazingrobotandsons.com

May 14, 2017, 8:20:05 PM5/14/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I want to do a class. I am thinking of doing it on fusion 360 to do help folks get into 3d printing and design.

Brian Wagner

May 15, 2017, 9:30:05 AM5/15/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
Jason, you may want to consider tinkercad instead of fusion3d for an intro class.

ja...@amazingrobotandsons.com

May 18, 2017, 9:51:14 PM5/18/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I would have to learn it myself but I can.  I honestly don't think fusion 360 is hard to use.  I won't be covering all the features (as I don't know them)...just how to model and create printable files.

As we talked about Tues night.  I can start doing a monthly class that rotates between Fusion 360 for 3D printing and Inkscape for Laser and CNC.