AVR Studio wants to upgrade firmware on AVRISP mkII - how to stop?

Mike Tsao

Mar 8, 2012, 10:35:08 AM3/8/12
to lufa-s...@googlegroups.com
Happy user of Dean's AVRISP mkII project on an Adafruit ATmega32u4 breakout board with avrdude on OS X and Linux. But I was testing the device on a WinXP machine with a recent (two-month-old) installation of AVR Studio, which wants to upgrade the firmware on the programmer. I know that path would lead to pain. Do I need to twiddle something in the AVRISPmkII project to get it to lie about its version?

Dean Camera

Mar 8, 2012, 3:47:27 PM3/8/12
to LUFA Library Support List
The latest release contains an updated version of the firmware which
makes it compatible with AVRStudio 5.1 upwards - you'll need to
recompile it and download it into your board.

Cheers!
- Dean

Mike Tsao

Mar 8, 2012, 7:06:15 PM3/8/12
to lufa-s...@googlegroups.com
I see the commit now. I could have sworn I'd built from a repo clone of just a few nights ago, but apparently not. Thanks!

Mike Tsao

Mar 8, 2012, 8:31:53 PM3/8/12
to lufa-s...@googlegroups.com
Dean, I think I was bitten by the LIBUSB_DRIVER_COMPAT switch. I'd built with it enabled, confirmed it worked, then upon switching to AVR Studio 5.0 discovered (the hard way) that the two versions (with/without the switch) are OS-specific. I now rebuilt the firmware without the switch, and it works on WinXP (AVR Studio 5.0) but nowhere else.

I'm now downloading Atmel Studio 6 and hoping against hope I'll be able to build a single firmware image that'll work across all OSes. (Seems like a reasonable thing to want...) Not optimistic.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Mike Tsao

Mar 8, 2012, 9:55:46 PM3/8/12
to lufa-s...@googlegroups.com
Dean, I think I was bitten by the LIBUSB_DRIVER_COMPAT switch. I'd built with it enabled, confirmed it worked, then upon switching to AVR Studio 5.0 discovered (the hard way) that the two versions (with/without the switch) are OS-specific. I now rebuilt the firmware without the switch, and it works on WinXP (AVR Studio 5.0) but nowhere else.

No luck. lufa-lib pulled as of tonight. If I build with the switch, it works on avrdude for OSX but barfs in Atmel Studio 6 (I didn't copy the big long error, but it looked like a C# class name). If I build without the switch, "avrdude: stk500v2_recv_mk2: error in USB receive" on OSX, but it works just fine in Atmel Studio. This would be OK if I used just one of the two platforms, but I was hoping to be able to switch back and forth -- and to be able to say that my 32u4 was AVRISP mkII-compatible, without qualification.

Todd Krein

Mar 14, 2012, 11:43:26 PM3/14/12
to LUFA Library Support List
Mike,
Any chance you could post the version that runs on Windoze with AVR
Studio? I don't wnat to have to install all of winAVR just to compile
the bootloader.

Thanks!

Mike Tsao

Mar 15, 2012, 12:50:33 PM3/15/12
to lufa-s...@googlegroups.com
Todd,

Builds are pretty specific to the hardware, so I'd rather not fry yours by posting a random-ish binary for you. In my case, it took many builds to get something that worked -- and in any event, I use OSX, so the one I have right now isn't compatible with AVR Studio anyway. What I'm trying to say is you were likely going to have to install an AVR toolchain anyway after discovering that my build didn't work for you, so you might as well just do it.

Mike

Dean Camera

Mar 17, 2012, 11:26:47 AM3/17/12
to LUFA Library Support List
Mike,

The problem is that the Jungo drivers and real AVRISP-MKII use
endpoint addresses that aren't possible with the AVR8 devices, so I
have to do some tricks to work around that (this is what building
without the compat switch does). That works enough to fool AVRStudio/
AtmelStudio, but breaks under AVRDude as it uses a different
interaction sequence to the programmer. There's actually an AVRDude
patch floating around on AVRFreaks to fix AVRDude so that it can work
with my clone programmer in non-conpat mode, but that would require
you to rebuild the AVRDude binaries.

Cheers!
- Dean

Mike Tsao

Mar 18, 2012, 11:05:33 AM3/18/12
to lufa-s...@googlegroups.com
The problem is that the Jungo drivers and real AVRISP-MKII use
endpoint addresses that aren't possible with the AVR8 devices, so I
have to do some tricks to work around that (this is what building
without the compat switch does). That works enough to fool AVRStudio/
AtmelStudio, but breaks under AVRDude as it uses a different
interaction sequence to the programmer. There's actually an AVRDude
patch floating around on AVRFreaks to fix AVRDude so that it can work
with my clone programmer in non-conpat mode, but that would require
you to rebuild the AVRDude binaries.

Dean, that's a bummer, but it's given me an idea. Perhaps I can build a LUFA-based firmware image that acts as an AVRISP for AVR Studio support, *and* a USBtiny (or a second AVRISP built with the compat switch?) for avrdude support. Rebuilding avrdude is out of the question because I want it to work with one shipped with the Arduino IDE.

... thinking ...