Migrating to Lucee soon

Jason Durham

Mar 15, 2016, 12:05:06 PM3/15/16
to Lucee
We have a couple of applications that will be migrated to Lucee soon.  From a developer's POV, it really can't happen fast enough.  However, there are other upgrades that are taking place (OS, deployment processes, etc.) at the same time and the process has been pretty slow. We're buttoning up the extra pieces that go along with with migration, and I'm wondering if we should consider conducting our regression tests against 4.5 or 5 Beta.

Is there any estimated timeframe for the release of Lucee 5?

Rory Laitila

Mar 15, 2016, 12:22:25 PM3/15/16
to Lucee
I'm not speaking for LAS here, but If you have the time, it would certainly help the community to run your tests against 4.5 & 5. But IMO, 4.5 has been very stable for a long time, and 5 is described as a major rewrite of the internals, and has been 'coming soon' for a long time. Most of what is coming in 5 is not new functionality, (Micha described in a post that 80-90% of the work being just internal changes). Thus, I don't think you'll be 'missing out' on any major features by postponing your move to 5, and once 5 is stable, it also shouldn't be a major leap. The question is, how long will it take for 5 to be production ready & stable, not just be released. I tend to be on the conservative side, and it wasn't until 4.2 that the stability really came together for the 3 to 4 jump, the last major leap, IMO. Myself I'll probably create new projects in 5, but keep my mission critical at 4.5 for a little while into the 5 release.

Jason Durham

Mar 15, 2016, 1:09:22 PM3/15/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
We'll gladly run our automated tests against 5.  The issue is that one of our legacy applications (the primary one that drives our business) does not have much test coverage.  It requires manual testing which is why I want to make sure we make the right choice on our initial migration to Lucee.  If 5 isn't ready, that's totally fine.  I just noticed it has been in beta for about a year and thought there could be a published roadmap I've been unable to find.

I'm very familiar with Adobe's "beta" testing (you know.. they call it a production release with core functionality broken) and have been slow to adopt new releases of ACF.   The time/expense to regression test our legacy app is significant, so I thought I'd at least consider the idea of starting our testing on Lucee beta.

Jason Durham

--
Love Lucee? Become a supporter and be part of the Lucee project today! - http://lucee.org/supporters/become-a-supporter.html
---

Nando Breiter

Mar 15, 2016, 4:01:03 PM3/15/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

Lucee 5 isn't ready for production, and from the bit of manual testing I've done, you may run into more issues with functionality that has been moved to extensions than with core language features. Micha is working through them tho' as they are reported.

That said, depending on your codebase, you may also run into a few incompatibilities in the migration from ACF to Lucee 4.5. For instance, I ran into an issue with typing in a QofQ where I was using a decimal notation in a varchar, sort of like a dewey decimal number, and Lucee converted that into a numeric in the QofQ instead of leaving it as a varchar, and then 23.3 became equivalent to 23.30 and 23.300 in Lucee when they were not equivalent in ACF. Small corner case that I simply worked around.

PDFs created from cfdocument also behave differently in that the PDF engine that Lucee uses does not use the page dimensions set in the cfdocument tag for scaling purposes in the same way as ACF. You'll need to wrap the layout within the cfdocument tag in a div tag that specifies the page dimension.

Another issue you might run across is that Lucee prefers you use cfloop for grouping nested queries as syntactically correct, rather than the somewhat quirky <cfoutput query="myquery" group="mycolumn"> syntax.

So on a practical basis, I'd suggest working through any compatibility issues you run into on 4.5, which is production ready, and then any testing you can do on 5, once you have your codebase working on 4.5, would be greatly appreciated.

Nando

Aria Media Sagl
+41 (0)76 303 4477 cell
skype: ariamedia

Andrew Dixon

Mar 15, 2016, 7:46:43 PM3/15/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
As others have already said, probably best to start with Lucee 4.5 and move to Lucee 5 at a later date, but 5 is almost there in terms of being released, me and some of the other Lucee members are working with Micha to get a release candidate out "very soon". Also several of the members, including myself are running Lucee 5 on production systems and for my part I can say it has been very stable overall. The main issues I've heard about have been with the PostgreSQL driver and the S3 implementation, but I think these have now, on the whole, been ironed out.

Currently outstanding Lucee 5 bugs that have been reported can be see here:

Kind regards,

Andrew