Server has shut down the connection prematurely

Rekha S

Oct 30, 2011, 5:38:20 AM10/30/11
to LoadRunner
Hi,

I received "server has shut down the connection prematurely" when
running the scripts on the controller.

I found some solution for this when I googled. Suggested to add the
following:

web_set_sockets_option("IGNORE_PREMATURE_SHUTDOWN", "1");

Now I dint receive any error message which i recieved earlier. Can
anyone explain me will it affect the performance of the application?
Is it a permanent solution?

Kamran Khan

Oct 30, 2011, 1:36:23 PM10/30/11
to lr-loa...@googlegroups.com
I believe this error message occurred when running a load test scenario. In that case, this was the very finding you were looking for. This potentially means the application server did not respond properly. You could report the problem as test observation.

The method allows you to ignore this error. Just like you can configure step download timeout to be X seconds and override the default of 120 seconds. These methods are to facilitate focus on unknown errors by ignoring already known errors.

This is not your script issue. Report it to developer.

Sincerely,
Kamran Khan
Principal/Lead, SQA & Test Automation, Certified HP PC, LR, QTP & CCNA

prasenjit dutta

Nov 4, 2011, 1:57:08 PM11/4/11
to lr-loa...@googlegroups.com
this also cause if u overburden ur LG with load.....use multiple LG.....to generate the load...if then it appears then u can start debugging for server issues.......
--
Prasenjit

André Luyer

Nov 4, 2011, 5:32:34 PM11/4/11
to LoadRunner
The "server has shut down the connection prematurely" message is
referring to the TCP connection between de load generator and the
server.
It means that a TCP reset packet has been received and is a means to
abort or refuse a TCP connection (it could also be send by e.g a
firewall or HIPS in the network path).
Thus it is usually an indication that something is wrong / overloaded
at the server.
The web_set_sockets_option() allows you to ignore this, hence no more
error messages.

By the way, MS Internet Explorer is notorious for aborting TCP
connections this way (client side). If you want your script to behave
this way too you have to use web_set_sockets_option("SHUTDOWN_MODE",
"ABRUPT");

André

Amit Vashistha

Dec 1, 2015, 10:29:32 AM12/1/15
to LoadRunner

prasanna kothawade

Feb 8, 2016, 7:00:05 PM2/8/16
to LoadRunner

Hi Amit,

We are facing this issue intermittently.

We are using old version of load runner(v6.5). When ever I am  trying to add web_set_sockets_option ("NEW_BEHAVIOR_OF_OVERLAPPED_SEND", "1"); or web_set_sockets_option("IGNORE_PREMATURE_SHUTDOWN", "1"); in Vuser_init(). it is giving "Error--memory violation : Exception Access_Violation" received.

I have tried everything on the Blog- http://automation-performance.blogspot.in/2011/05/server-xxxx-has-shut-down-connection.html?utm_source=BP_recent. but still this issue persists. Can you please guide on how can we add this function on older version of load runner.

Amit Vashistha

Jul 11, 2016, 9:00:02 AM7/11/16
to LoadRunner
Try the 7th Option mentioned at the below link. I have developed these resolutions based on  my personnel experience with testing:

http://automation-performance.blogspot.in/2011/05/server-xxxx-has-shut-down-connection.html