Many volunteers needed: Move to 447 Hackney Rd on 13/14 April

Martin Dittus

Apr 3, 2013, 3:56:41 PM4/3/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Hello all. We're moving the Hackspace. We need help!

Over the course of the coming week we need:
- lots of crates and rigid boxes we can borrow for 1-2 weeks
- lots of help packing things into these boxes

And on 13/14 April:
- people with vans and other means of transport (the new space is not far from the old space)
- a few good people who know the space, can think on their feet, and are available to guide volunteers
- many, many helping hands for the actual move
- trolleys, skates, and other means of moving heavy things

If you can help us with these please register your name here so we can plan capacity:
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Hackspace_Move/RegisterToHelp

And tell others! Not everyone reads the list.

m.

Martin Dittus

Apr 5, 2013, 2:37:57 PM4/5/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

The various lists are starting to fill up, however we are still short by quite a few people.

We're particularly still in need of:
- crates and rigid boxes (got suggestions where we could source them?)
- people who can start packing over the course of the week (this should be done before Saturday 13th)
- people coordinating volunteers (don't be shy!)
- transport

Have another look at the wiki page and add yourself:
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Hackspace_Move/RegisterToHelp

Because some people asked -- there's no strict requirement to add your name to that page if you want to help out, and we're not going to turn away unannounced help; is simply helps us with capacity planning. Don't want to end up with 30 people on Saturday morning and nobody on Sunday afternoon.

m.

Clare Greenhalgh

Apr 5, 2013, 2:40:14 PM4/5/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

You should be able to get crates and boxes from people downstairs at Cremer Street. They break up loads every day I think...

Adrian Godwin

Apr 5, 2013, 2:42:38 PM4/5/13
to london-hack-space
Off-licences are often a good place to ask for strong (but not large)  boxes. Ask in advance and you might be able to arrange a schedule that saves them from the crusher.

Removal companies sell collapsed boxes to people about to move. You tape them together and keep them afterwards. They might sell some even though we're not using their moving services.

You can rent large plastic ones. The ones that are still in the space probably have a phone number on them. There will be quite a large penalty if they're not returned.

Paddy Duncan

Apr 5, 2013, 2:49:21 PM4/5/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

There are shedloads of boxes every day on Hackney Road between Tesco and Gorsuch Place

Alison W

Apr 5, 2013, 3:22:33 PM4/5/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
and a reminder to all:

If you have stuff at the Hackspace and are able to remove it to another 'place of safety' (your home, your office) please feel ever so free to do so. The less there is to move, the easier, faster, and safer it will be.

Jasper Wallace

Apr 5, 2013, 3:30:31 PM4/5/13
Martin Dittus <dek...@gmail.com> wrote:

>The various lists are starting to fill up, however we are still short
>by quite a few people.
>
>We're particularly still in need of:
>- crates and rigid boxes (got suggestions where we could source them?)

There are some in the new space in the room behind the kitchen that are full of books. If someone removes the books then the crates can be reused.

william...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2013, 4:20:00 PM4/5/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The biohackers will be bringing a car and moving all our own stuff from our current room into the basement one at 447. It will probably just be 1/2 car loads, so shouldn't alter the general moving plan, but is there somewhere I should put this for coordination purposes?

Car may also be available for other stuff, I'll ask the owner.

william...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2013, 4:23:29 PM4/5/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We could also do the photography stuff if someone tells us where to put it.

Martin Dittus

Apr 5, 2013, 4:23:49 PM4/5/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

We'll have to see how many vehicles we'll have on the day, atm that's not clear yet. Thanks for letting us know though.

m.