'What do you do?' Talks

Paul Dart

May 28, 2013, 6:06:58 PM5/28/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

Right after drinking with Jonty (where, I think, all the most...er...well ideas come from) I have decided we should probably have a:
What do you do? Talks night

Very roughly: everyone thinks their job is probably quite boring to other people, but everyone is interested in other peoples jobs. What do all you startup people do all day? What interesting things have you done at work this week?

I don't want this to become a pitch for jobs or companies or anything, just a chance for techy people to talk about different industries/jobs etc.

I propose we have an evening of a couple of people talking for say 15 mins about their jobs to anyone interested.
So how about:
Date: Thursday 13th June (free in calendar at the moment apart from music hackers)
Time: 8pm
Rough plan:
Talk 1- 15 mins and 5 mins q&a
Talk 2- 15 mins and 5 mins q&a
Chats and beer after.

So, in anticipation of the well volunteered crowd, I shall go in the first slot and I'm looking for someone for the second.

I'll try and post talk summaries or something a few days before so people can go to ones that interest them.

I reckon if this is popular we could do it every 2 weeks or so?

Anyway, comments/abuse/questions etc?

Thanks,
Paul

Nigel Worsley

May 28, 2013, 7:36:24 PM5/28/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> So, in anticipation of the well volunteered crowd, I shall go in the first
> slot and I'm looking for someone for the second.

OK, I am up for it. I think the most interesting part of my job is a
relatively small part of it, doing field service visits to fix the
diesel electric propulsion systems for a few small ships. This is the
one I get sent to most often:
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=308261000

The main generators are 3.4MW each, and there are 3 of them!

It spends most of its time in the north sea pumping stuff down oil and
gas wells at scarily high pressures, and when the pressures aren't
scary then the chemicals are. It can carry over 800 cubic metres of
hydrochloric acid, and also has big liquid nitrogen tanks.

Nigle

Jonty Wareing

May 28, 2013, 7:46:56 PM5/28/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I conclude that people should drink with me more often. This is brilliant.

Can't wait for the first one. Nice work Paul.

--jonty
> Groups "London Hackspace" group.
> an email to london-hack-sp...@googlegroups.com.

tom

May 29, 2013, 4:40:15 AM5/29/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
oh can i have a 15 minute rant about my colleagues being useless? :D

Metz

May 29, 2013, 5:06:34 AM5/29/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Depends....can you make it funny?

Dr Thrax

May 29, 2013, 5:21:10 AM5/29/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I could use this as a practice for my transfer viva for my PhD if we continue it.( I do electrophisiological modeling of atria)

:)

Ross

Jonty Wareing

May 29, 2013, 6:00:21 AM5/29/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> I do electrophisiological modeling of atria

I have absolutely no idea what that is and would love to see
you talk about it. Brilliant.

--jonty

Jon Russell

May 29, 2013, 6:09:18 AM5/29/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Who decides if its interesting ? My job can be quite boring on paper, but someone might disagree ? I manage 3 data centres with about 2,000 server ? is that *interesting* ?

Jon.

ross morgan

May 29, 2013, 6:09:18 AM5/29/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
might not be able to present on this session on account of not actually having any results yet (pretty pictures) but definitely next session

Kimball Johnson

May 29, 2013, 6:11:31 AM5/29/13
On 29 May 2013 11:09, Jon Russell <goo...@red-herring.co.uk> wrote:
Who decides if its interesting ? My job can be quite boring on paper, but someone might disagree ? I manage 3 data centres with about 2,000 server ? is that *interesting* ?

Yes, that kind of large scale management is either done with tools that are interesting to learn about, or by hand which is interesting to see how crazy you are :)

drrk

tgreer

May 29, 2013, 6:14:33 AM5/29/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Now curious who you work for...

Jon Russell

May 29, 2013, 6:28:11 AM5/29/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm the Group CIO for LBi, now part of the Publicis Group. I run all our Managed Services, Hosting and Support operation.

Jon.

tom

May 29, 2013, 7:12:27 AM5/29/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
can i have a job?

Tim Reynolds

May 29, 2013, 7:32:29 AM5/29/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Get in the queue

Paul Dart

Jun 9, 2013, 6:49:58 AM6/9/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Right this is on Thursday. There appear to be no big objections so can we put it in the calendar please?

Date: Thursday 13th June (free in calendar at the moment apart from music hackers)
Time: 8pm

First talk: me, talking about railways. Probably mostly TPWS which I work on at the moment.
Second talk: Nigle, on diesel electric propulsion systems.

See you there :)

Paul

SamLR

Jun 9, 2013, 7:21:07 AM6/9/13
to Hackspace Mailing List
Added for you,shame I can't make it. I've nominally put it in the class room

Paul Dart

Jun 13, 2013, 12:28:37 PM6/13/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Hiya,

Just a quick bump, this is tonight if you are planning on joining us.

Cheers,

Paul

Benjamin Blundell

Jun 14, 2013, 4:48:09 AM6/14/13