Container project update

Johnny

May 29, 2014, 6:53:47 AM5/29/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Morning all,

Some decent progress recently. We've been documenting the process, including the snags. Here's a brief overview of recent work - which we'll put into a blog.

Doors: Oak French doors & frame just bought. Looking forward to get them fitted. This will be the point of entry and the container's main source of natural light. Let us know if you want a contact for good value doors BTW (requires a trip to Manchester).

We'll fit a dead bolt lock with a digital interface - so you can open it with a mobile phone. *Lockitron* is a nice example of this.

Old Floor: containers are *way over* engineered. The 30mm marine ply floor we have removed was an absolute nightmare. Old container floors need to be removed (or sealed) for various reasons (health hazard!).  A very challenging process to work out. Removing the old floor cost us weeks of time. But it was worth it.

Each board is screwed down onto steel cross beams. 58 x 5mm rusted screws per board. When it rusts, you have to drill around each screw, then lever the floor up with big hydraulic jacks. Event then, it did not want to come up.

New floor: 25mm WBP Plywood, sealed on the bottom with a course of damp proof paint. 3mm of foil backed underlay on top of new ply. Finished with recycled scaffold board, sanded to even out surface while retailing character. We may insulate further (spray underneath) if budget allows.

Insulation: 50mm of polyurethane closed cell insulation spray - direct onto internal walls/ceiling of container. That's likely to be done next week. This is by far the most expensive bit of the build.

PU spray is much more expensive than rockwool/eco-wool/therma-hemp/celotex (also PU). The point is to get rid of condensation (dew point on outside of metal box, not on inside). And to maximise insulation values. None of the other cheaper methods can compete with PU spray on condensation or R values. That said, many people do use them successfully. If you can afford PU, do it.

Framing: Stud walls. Battens now ready to frame up...Like in any other house. Wickes do fantastic 38mm x 63mm battens. This is perfect.

Design, material sourcing and what's next: The internal design concepts are finished and most of the materials sources. We aim to have the box painted matt black very soon, the studs up, the walls, insulation and floor sanded. It'll look much more like proper accommodation.

Project Extension: To complete the project on site, it's likely that we will need to extend the project dates by 4-6 weeks. The original 8 week plan took a hammering because of problems with the old floor and a few other issues thrown in for good measure. It's still entirely possible for us to move it on June 4th but it will be painful - so we'd like to move it later than planned, if possible.

Can we ask the community for this extension? Let us know if there are any big problems with this.

Feel free to come and see the box develop,

Johnny & Doug

Tim Reynolds

May 29, 2014, 7:19:45 AM5/29/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update, it sounds like it's going well (floor excluded!)
I don't have any issue with you staying another 4-6 weeks.

On 29/05/2014 11:53, Johnny wrote:
> [...]
>
> *Design, material sourcing and what's next:* The internal design
> concepts are finished and most of the materials sources. We aim to have
> the box painted matt black very soon, the studs up, the walls,
> insulation and floor sanded. It'll look much more like proper accommodation.
>
> *Project Extension: *To complete the project on site, it's likely that
> we will need to extend the project dates by 4-6 weeks. The original 8
> week plan took a hammering because of problems with the old floor and a
> few other issues thrown in for good measure. It's still entirely
> possible for us to move it on June 4th but it will be painful - so we'd
> like to move it later than planned, if possible.
>
> Can we ask the community for this extension? Let us know if there are
> any big problems with this.
>
> Feel free to come and see the box develop,

Kimball Johnson

May 29, 2014, 7:37:14 AM5/29/14
On 29 May 2014 12:19, Tim Reynolds <t...@christwithfries.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the update, it sounds like it's going well (floor excluded!) I
> don't have any issue with you staying another 4-6 weeks.

Agreed, I suspect it would also be pretty cool if you allowed people
to take a look at the progress on the open day - it's will probably be
of interest to a number of the visitors.

Kimball

Ian Henderson

May 29, 2014, 9:23:21 AM5/29/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think this is a really interesting project and I'm in favour of this one off extension

Ditto to having it open on open day if possible

--Ian

Douglas Bell

May 29, 2014, 1:23:47 PM5/29/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
When's the open day? Excuse the ignorance. Very happy to walk people through the whole process.

It demonstrates that you can build viable accommodation for <£10,000. It is possible to rent land cheaply to put it on (on or off grid), even in central London.

Clare Greenhalgh

May 29, 2014, 2:15:01 PM5/29/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Open day is this coming Sunday. We will have yummy food on the bbq and all sorts of other events too!
I would love to have a quick beady inside between times I am cooking ;)

On 29 May 2014 18:23, "Douglas Bell" <dougla...@googlemail.com> wrote:
When's the open day? Excuse the ignorance. Very happy to walk people through the whole process.

It demonstrates that you can build viable accommodation for <£10,000. It is possible to rent land cheaply to put it on (on or off grid), even in central London.

Jasper Wallace

Jun 13, 2014, 4:10:50 AM6/13/14
On Thu, 29 May 2014, Johnny wrote:

> Morning all,
>
> Some decent progress recently. We've been documenting the process, including the snags. Here's a brief overview of recent work - which we'll put into a blog.

Could we have a fixed complete or move by date please. There is currently
some pressure on space in the yard and we'd like to cycle some projects
out...
> --

[http://pointless.net/] [0x2ECA0975]

Paddy Duncan

Jun 25, 2014, 5:00:56 AM6/25/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
According to all reports work on this seems to have ground to a halt.
You asked for a 4-6 week extension and 4 weeks is tomorrow...
You also did not reply to Jasper's request for an actual date.
Please advise asap.
Thanks
Paddy

Mark Steward

Jun 25, 2014, 5:19:00 AM6/25/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, johnath...@gmail.com, dougla...@googlemail.com
CCing Johnny and Douglas because they helpfully don't receive emails from the list.

Paddy Duncan

Jun 25, 2014, 5:21:16 AM6/25/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Aha that could explain the non-reply...

Douglas Bell

Jun 25, 2014, 6:02:26 AM6/25/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

really appreciate your patience! I'll check settings to be sure I get all forum updates.

Action: I'll get straight onto logistics for moving the box, freeing up the space for another project. I'll get it moved by 2 weeks time as per JV's post, likely Thursday/Friday AM in 2 weeks. It's currently waiting on professional intervention from a local welder, who hasn't showed up twice :-\ and a pro insulation firm after.

Can you recommend a local welder?

I've just come out of hospital, and that has massively slowed us down. Bad timing. But we're till 100% committed to completion. We'll just have to finish it elsewhere - you guys have been *amazing* in supporting us, and we'll be forever grateful. Photos and documentation of the build all all be shared when it's done.

Douglas

Adrian Godwin

Jun 25, 2014, 6:22:22 AM6/25/14
to london-hack-space
There's a bunch of welders across the road - the guy at CanofGas and the roofrack manufacturers just past him.

Douglas Bell

Jun 25, 2014, 6:24:47 AM6/25/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks! I'll go to the roof-rack guy.

Not having much luck with Can-of-Gas for some reason.

Douglas Bell
Mobile: 07500 223288

Richard Patterson

Jun 25, 2014, 6:31:50 AM6/25/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Douglas,

Would you guys be able to give us, the mailing list, regular (weekly) updates with how things are going, the progress you've made and what you're planning to do?
Not only will this keep everyone happy that it hasn't been abandoned, it's also an interesting project that many of us would like to see/hear how things are going!

Good luck with the welders.

-Richard

Douglas Bell

Jun 25, 2014, 6:43:31 AM6/25/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard,

it'll be best to compile a complete document with photos and steps taken - otherwise it'll be very fragmented information.

We've 2 more weeks until it is moved, so we may be able to get the french doors installed, insulation and welding done by then. Maybe not. Depends on 2 outside professionals, and their schedules. We don't want to hack those 2 bits as they are mission critical, and we've zero experience.

Douglas Bell
Mobile: 07500 223288

Richard Patterson

Jun 25, 2014, 6:51:04 AM6/25/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Just little updates like that are great, if you felt like snapping a few pics to go along with the narrative that would also be welcome.

I'm sure a full write up at the end of the project will be done and will be amazing, but the little pieces of info as things are happening is what we're after to keep everyone's concerns (and curiosity) satiated.

Ian Henderson

Jun 25, 2014, 2:16:05 PM6/25/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Have you talked to Maria to see if she could do the welding?

--Ian

Douglas Bell

Jul 9, 2014, 7:11:54 AM7/9/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I got Maria's contact number from Billy at the weekend and will give her a call. Thanks for the tip Ian - much appreciated.

I'll be cleaning and painting the outside of the box today/tomorrow (it'll look a lot prettier in matt black).

We've arranged to move it to www.cre8lifestylecentre.org.uk in Hackney Wick - waiting on confirmation of transport from their guy. I've asked for it to be collected on Friday.

Russ Garrett

Jul 11, 2014, 5:46:55 PM7/11/14
to London Hack Space
Hi Douglas,

I understand that the person who was meant to collect your container
today was unable to do so because his vehicle was somewhat unsuitable
for the task.

Can you confirm when the container will be removed?

Cheers,

Russ
> --

Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Stephen Lavelle

Jul 11, 2014, 6:04:49 PM7/11/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Fwiw, Johnny said to me that the delivery dude screwed up today, and will be coming to remove it at 10 tomorrow morning (if I recall correctly).

Douglas Bell

Jul 11, 2014, 6:32:02 PM7/11/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The driver showed up on a motorbike today to 'check it out' at 5pm, after I'd been waiting on him all day. Unbelievable.

He's back tomorrow with a HIAB at 10am.

tom

Jul 12, 2014, 5:51:36 AM7/12/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The container has now gone but has been replaced by a lovely pile of rubble and crap.

I'll go attack it with a broom in a mo

Douglas Bell

Jul 12, 2014, 7:10:30 AM7/12/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom, a thousand thank yous! Sorry I couldn't be there to do this myself today.